Any Call of Duty fans in here?

Guest Sima

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. Quite the opposite I'll think you'll find.

39678[/snapback]

What is the difference with games as long as they are tastefully done?

Have you played Call of Duty?

39683[/snapback]

I'm not answering your questions until you start interpreting my point of view correctly in the first instance! It's a pain in the arse repeating myself for your benefit tbh. ;)

I think there is a world of difference between first-person shoot-em-ups and films like Saving Private Ryan.

39684[/snapback]

Well perhaps you'd like to share with us what this world of difference is?

Besides, I don't think it is very likely that very mant veterans will be playing this stuff, do you?

39690[/snapback]

Firstly, the difference is fucking obvious to me (one is a game, one is a film) but I'll go through it point by point if you insist. Secondly manc-mag made the point about veterans.

So you haven't played it then?

39693[/snapback]

I've seen the glam'd up adverts for it on TV. Does that count?

In my opinion yes it does - cos how you see it on TV is how the games companies want to put it across. Also, in answer to a point made somewhere else, I think thats also the most likely context that most ex-servicemen would see it in, as no, I don't imagine many would play it themselves.

Correct. Quite the opposite I'll think you'll find.

39678[/snapback]

What is the difference with games as long as they are tastefully done?

Have you played Call of Duty?

39683[/snapback]

I'm not answering your questions until you start interpreting my point of view correctly in the first instance! It's a pain in the arse repeating myself for your benefit tbh. ;)

39695[/snapback]

Your point of view is you think it is sick because there are still ex-servicemen alive and they may be upset to see their efforts trivialised. Correct?

39693[/snapback]

In my opinion yes it does - cos how you see it on TV is how the games companies want to put it across. Also, in answer to a point made somewhere else, I think thats also the most likely context that most ex-servicemen would see it in, as no, I don't imagine many would play it themselves.

39697[/snapback]

Thank you for your Daily Mail style opinion

OMG BAN THIS SICK FILTH!!!!!

It's Call of Duty that's loosely based on WWII battles and I think you mean Medal of Honour.

39649[/snapback]

Oh aye yeah, you might be right.

Anyways I think the one thats based on actual battles is a bit sick tbh, seeing as theres ex-servicemen still alive and all that. If that was me and I'd lost mates I'd be devo'd if I saw my grandson and his mates playing that with retarded grins on their faces.

39655[/snapback]

Ban it along with Saving Private Ryan tbh.

39659[/snapback]

I thought that was actually quite good in it's treatment of war and the devastating effects it can have on it's participants. A good anti war film tbh.

39662[/snapback]

Yeah it was good and made you think. As did both CoD and MoH when I played them.

39669[/snapback]

Are you having a laugh? What did they make you think of?

What next - Invasion of Basra on Playstation 2?

39673[/snapback]

About how terrible war is, in much the same way as SPR did. What's the difference?

Have you actually played these games - they are very well done and pretty tasteful - there's also almost no gore. Compared to GTA, they are harmless and even educating. Not that I have a problem with GTA either like.

39680[/snapback]

I dont play computer games generally. It's bad for the complexion. ;)

And regardless of the absence of gore (which I dont necesarily accept to be a good thing because war tends to be very 'gorey'), I just think that it trivializes what the participants experienced. Which was a living hell.

If you like the game though then thats one good thing I s'pose.

39691[/snapback]

I'm surprised at your attitude a bit, and I think you're wrong. It doesn't trivialise the war a bit imo, like I said, it is well done and gives you plenty of facts about what happened.

Interesting question though I suppose - at what point can horrific events in the past be used as entertainment, and is this different for the mediums of literature, films, and computer games? If so, why? Hmmmm.

39693[/snapback]

39697[/snapback]

Thank you for your Daily Mail style opinion

OMG BAN THIS SICK FILTH!!!!!

39699[/snapback]

How does that devalue or invalidate my opinion though?

I'm not arsed about it's 'excellent gameplay' etc etc so your argument (not that I've really seen the barest rudiments of one yet) falls flat on it's face.

You don't have to try something to disapprove of it.

Like necrophilia or crystal meth.

I'm with manc-mag to a point. The servicemen and women of this country are the most incredible people who deserve our gratitude. If they didn't like the game I'd be all for banning it.

Compared to fighting for your country, increasing growth in the 15-34 gaming sector is hardly something to be proud of!

I'm not arsed about it's 'excellent gameplay' etc etc so your argument (not that I've really seen the barest rudiments of one yet) falls flat on it's face.

39705[/snapback]

You've formed an opinion on it without even playing it ;)

It's Call of Duty that's loosely based on WWII battles and I think you mean Medal of Honour.

39649[/snapback]

Anyways I think the one thats based on actual battles is a bit sick tbh, seeing as theres ex-servicemen still alive and all that. If that was me and I'd lost mates I'd be devo'd if I saw my grandson and his mates playing that with retarded grins on their faces.

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

I thought that was actually quite good in it's treatment of war and the devastating effects it can have on it's participants. A good anti war film tbh.

39662[/snapback]

Yeah it was good and made you think. As did both CoD and MoH when I played them.

39669[/snapback]

39673[/snapback]

About how terrible war is, in much the same way as SPR did. What's the difference?

Have you actually played these games - they are very well done and pretty tasteful - there's also almost no gore. Compared to GTA, they are harmless and even educating. Not that I have a problem with GTA either like.

39680[/snapback]

And regardless of the absence of gore (which I dont necesarily accept to be a good thing because war tends to be very 'gorey'), I just think that it trivializes what the participants experienced. Which was a living hell.

39691[/snapback]

I'm surprised at your attitude a bit, and I think you're wrong. It doesn't trivialise the war a bit imo, like I said, it is well done and gives you plenty of facts about what happened.

Interesting question though I suppose - at what point can horrific events in the past be used as entertainment, and is this different for the mediums of literature, films, and computer games? If so, why? Hmmmm.

39700[/snapback]

I think you're trying to justify your enjoyment of it tbh, which is fine, but doesnt make for great argument.

In answer to your second point I actually think it's very simple-when it no longer affects living people in the way that I've mentioned. After that then I think it's a different ball game.

Not that I'd be arsed to play it mind you.

Edited by manc-mag

39705[/snapback]

39708[/snapback]

I'm against paedophilia too. As is the Daily Mail.

You don't have to try something to disapprove of it.

Like necrophilia or crystal meth.

I'm with manc-mag to a point. The servicemen and women of this country are the most incredible people who deserve our gratitude. If they didn't like the game I'd be all for banning it.

Compared to fighting for your country, increasing growth in the 15-34 gaming sector is hardly something to be proud of!

39707[/snapback]

So you're in favour of banning things minority groups (whoever they might be) don't like? Interesting.

39705[/snapback]

39708[/snapback]

39711[/snapback]

I think we can safely say that having an opinion that paedophilia is wrong without trying it is not the same as thinking a game is wrong without playing it!

Weird. Have I stumbled into some alternative reality toontastic board?

39711[/snapback]

Comparing playing a video game depicting an historic event to an illegal act? Well done ;)

Edited by Sima

[quote name=Sima' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:31

39711[/snapback]

Comparing playing a video game depicting an historic event to an illegal act? Well done ;)

39714[/snapback]

Still yet to see an argument mate. Waste of time tbh. At least Renton's had a stab.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

39662[/snapback]

39669[/snapback]

39673[/snapback]

39680[/snapback]

39691[/snapback]

39700[/snapback]

I think you're trying to justify your enjoyment of it tbh, which is fine, but doesnt make for great argument.

In answer to your second point I actually think it's very simple-when it no longer affects living people in the way that I've mentioned. After that then I think it's a different ball game.

39709[/snapback]

But its interesting you think games are a special exception and this doesn't apply to books or films. Tbh, I think it is because you don't value games as an art form, which, ahem, I think is pretty ignorant!

[quote name=Sima' date='Sep 27 2005, 02:31

39711[/snapback]

39714[/snapback]

Still yet to see an argument mate. Waste of time tbh. At least Renton's had a stab.

39715[/snapback]

Kudos on fucking up the quote function mind you.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

39662[/snapback]

39669[/snapback]

39673[/snapback]

39680[/snapback]

39691[/snapback]

39700[/snapback]

39709[/snapback]

But its interesting you think games are a special exception and this doesn't apply to books or films. Tbh, I think it is because you don't value games as an art form, which, ahem, I think is pretty ignorant!

39716[/snapback]

Not sure what you base that opinion on tbh (I've said I don't like them but I dont like lots of art-I can still accept it as art though) but you're entitled to it all the same. I dont think games are a special exception. For what its worth films which glorify and trivialise war and battles that people have fought in are equally as bad. You'll note that I thought SPR was a good anti-war film though. To be honest youre accusing me of generalisations when I simply havent made any.

Like I said, I think it's that you're trying to justify your enjoyment of the game, and that makes for bad argument.

I can drive a bus through it tbh.

Edited by manc-mag