Any Call of Duty fans in here?

Guest Sima

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Call of Duty that's loosely based on WWII battles and I think you mean Medal of Honour.

39649[/snapback]

Oh aye yeah, you might be right.

Anyways I think the one thats based on actual battles is a bit sick tbh, seeing as theres ex-servicemen still alive and all that. If that was me and I'd lost mates I'd be devo'd if I saw my grandson and his mates playing that with retarded grins on their faces.

It's Call of Duty that's loosely based on WWII battles and I think you mean Medal of Honour.

39649[/snapback]

Anyways I think the one thats based on actual battles is a bit sick tbh, seeing as theres ex-servicemen still alive and all that. If that was me and I'd lost mates I'd be devo'd if I saw my grandson and his mates playing that with retarded grins on their faces.

39655[/snapback]

Ban it along with Saving Private Ryan tbh.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

I thought that was actually quite good in it's treatment of war and the devastating effects it can have on it's participants. A good anti war film tbh.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

Loosely based.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

Loosely based.

39666[/snapback]

It would be pretty hard to have an interactive game that was based exactly on events as they happened in a Second World War battle though ;)

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

I thought that was actually quite good in it's treatment of war and the devastating effects it can have on it's participants. A good anti war film tbh.

39662[/snapback]

Yeah it was good and made you think. As did both CoD and MoH when I played them.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

Loosely based.

39666[/snapback]

Probably true. I actually know for a fact that they do try to get details historically accurate though because theres a bloke at work who does freelance consulting for games companies. He's a bit of an authority on WWII to say the least and gets paid a tidy amount for advising them.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

Loosely based.

39666[/snapback]

It would be pretty hard to have an interactive game that was based exactly on events as they happened in a Second World War battle though ;)

39667[/snapback]

I believe there is a game based on the present Iraq conflict that is based exactly on ongoing real-life events - can't remember what it's called, but I can see why that is controversial. Nothing wrong with CoD though imo.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

39662[/snapback]

Yeah it was good and made you think. As did both CoD and MoH when I played them.

39669[/snapback]

Are you having a laugh? What did they make you think of?

What next - Invasion of Basra on Playstation 2?

39673[/snapback]

You surely can't be saying films like SPR should be banned?

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

Loosely based.

39666[/snapback]

39667[/snapback]

I believe there is a game based on the present Iraq conflict that is based exactly on ongoing real-life events - can't remember what it's called, but I can see why that is controversial. Nothing wrong with CoD though imo.

39672[/snapback]

I don't think it should be your opinion that counts though with respect. I'd rather take the opinion of someone who fought in and was maybe still affected by the said events. Some are actually still alive and deserve a bit of respect.

39673[/snapback]

You surely can't be saying films like SPR should be banned?

39675[/snapback]

Correct. Quite the opposite I'll think you'll find.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

Loosely based.

39666[/snapback]

39667[/snapback]

39672[/snapback]

I just meant that since you the player are making decisions, it can't be based too much on real life events, if you knopw what I mean. Admittedly I was being a pedantic prick. I'd be surprised if you didn't pick up on that though.

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

39662[/snapback]

39669[/snapback]

39673[/snapback]

About how terrible war is, in much the same way as SPR did. What's the difference?

Have you actually played these games - they are very well done and pretty tasteful - there's also almost no gore. Compared to GTA, they are harmless and even educating. Not that I have a problem with GTA either like.

Correct. Quite the opposite I'll think you'll find.

39678[/snapback]

What is the difference with games as long as they are tastefully done?

Have you played Call of Duty?

I think there is a world of difference between first-person shoot-em-ups and films like Saving Private Ryan.

39684[/snapback]

Depends how they are interpreted. Games can form just as much of an opinion as films.

Edited by Sima

I think there is a world of difference between first-person shoot-em-ups and films like Saving Private Ryan.

39684[/snapback]

Well perhaps you'd like to share with us what this world of difference is?

Besides, I don't think it is very likely that very mant veterans will be playing this stuff, do you?

39649[/snapback]

39655[/snapback]

39659[/snapback]

39662[/snapback]

39669[/snapback]

39673[/snapback]

About how terrible war is, in much the same way as SPR did. What's the difference?

Have you actually played these games - they are very well done and pretty tasteful - there's also almost no gore. Compared to GTA, they are harmless and even educating. Not that I have a problem with GTA either like.

39680[/snapback]

I dont play computer games generally. It's bad for the complexion. ;)

And regardless of the absence of gore (which I dont necesarily accept to be a good thing because war tends to be very 'gorey'), I just think that it trivializes what the participants experienced. Which was a living hell.

If you like the game though then thats one good thing I s'pose.