Health

Craig

I know we've had threads similar to this one in the past - my turn now.

I'm not one to go to the GPs with a cold - i try to avoid the place as much as possible and haven't actually been to one in 14 years. However, having constantly shit blood for the last fortnight, even my stubborness faded and last Thursday I paid them a visit and tell them of my issues.

Given that my grandad had lower bowel cancer, my elder brother had a growth removed and my other brother is a sufferer of colitis and proctitis, there's no fucking around as far as this is concerned.

Doctor didn't seem too fazed until I told him of the family history and also that I'm getting rid of mucous as well as blood. I'm in for blood tests on Thursday adn I have an appointment coming from an 'oscopy' of some sort (can't remember the exact one he said, think it's a proctoscopy but could be a colonoscopy). That's a camera up my jacksy if anyone's not aware...

I would say I'm shitting it but that's perhaps not the best turn of phrase given the circumstances.

A bit of a taboo subject and one people sometimes make fun of but there's no fucking around when it comes to areas such as this and the symptoms which could be indicative of something serious - hopefully it is something and nothing but if anyone else finds themselves in this situation - get it sorted ASAP!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top marks for going to get it sorted Craig, us blokes aren't very good when it comes to visiting the Doctor, especially when it comes to problems down below, its too easy to bury your head in the sand and pretend its not really happening, I had what I thought was a cancer scare a while back and its certainly very worrying.

I hope that it turns out to be nothing sinister, by the sounds of it you are going early which can't be a bad thing, I'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

I'm not one to go to the GPs with a cold - i try to avoid the place as much as possible and haven't actually been to one in 14 years. However, having constantly shit blood for the last fortnight, even my stubborness faded and last Thursday I paid them a visit and tell them of my issues.

Given that my grandad had lower bowel cancer, my elder brother had a growth removed and my other brother is a sufferer of colitis and proctitis, there's no fucking around as far as this is concerned.

Doctor didn't seem too fazed until I told him of the family history and also that I'm getting rid of mucous as well as blood. I'm in for blood tests on Thursday adn I have an appointment coming from an 'oscopy' of some sort (can't remember the exact one he said, think it's a proctoscopy but could be a colonoscopy). That's a camera up my jacksy if anyone's not aware...

I would say I'm shitting it but that's perhaps not the best turn of phrase given the circumstances.

A bit of a taboo subject and one people sometimes make fun of but there's no fucking around when it comes to areas such as this and the symptoms which could be indicative of something serious - hopefully it is something and nothing but if anyone else finds themselves in this situation - get it sorted ASAP!

Could be many things man. Bowel cancer iirc tends to strike the 50+

You've done the right thing by going to the quack.

As Parky says, bowel cancer is very rare before late-middle age. It is most likely to be something else, but I can see why you're worried.

You'll probably be having a colonoscopy (which looks at the whole bowel) or a sigmoidoscopy (which looks at the bit of bowel just beyond the rectum, the sigmoid colon) if they want to exclude cancer. PM me if you forget to ask the doctor anything.

Hope everything turns out ok. :D

Hope your ok Craig!

Im sure you'l be fine.

It takes the bigger man to go and get stuff sorted out

:D

And the Toontastic crew will be here for you!

:nufc:

Could be many things man. Bowel cancer iirc tends to strike the 50+

You've done the right thing by going to the quack.

indeed, no point getting all defensive etc about things like this. Best of luck.

Sigmoidoscopy sounds more like what he said, although he did mention it'd be a flexible camera. I googled colonoscopy and the diagrams made me wince. Still if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.

I know bowel cancer is rare until later life but it didn't stop my brother having to have a biopsy with the condition he has. Think I covered all aspects with the quack but any info from you guys in the medical know-how is very much appreciated.

I hope you get better Craig. I remember when I had a lumpy ball scare which I put off and put off and put off getting checked out until I had far too much to drink one night and turned into a bubbling mess through sheer fear. I went and it turned out to be nothing thankfully.

I'm falling to bits myself at the minute. I've had what seems like really bad heartburn for a couple of days now and it isn't subsiding. I've taken some tablets for heartburn but it's done nothing apart from dull the sensation for an hour or two. This also comes on top of a few weeks worth of utterly foul smelling shits (Usually I like my own brand but these are something else) so I get the feeling my bowels and stomach aren't having the best of times. Of course, being the bloke I am i'm trying to put off going to the Docs but i'm beginning to think I should :D

I get the traces of blood on the shit rag quite a lot but that seems very common. I have 2 or 3 times had wipes which have been covered in blood (queue the gay jokes), I was tempted to go to the doctors about it but it hasn't happened for a while so can't really be arsed now (excuse the pun). This thread has given me some comfort the (the comments about bowel cancer etc..).

I get the traces of blood on the shit rag quite a lot but that seems very common. I have 2 or 3 times had wipes which have been covered in blood (queue the gay jokes), I was tempted to go to the doctors about it but it hasn't happened for a while so can't really be arsed now (excuse the pun). This thread has given me some comfort the (the comments about bowel cancer etc..).

I think I'm right in saying (although by no means certain) that if the blood is bright red its usually from a small tear in or just inside the sphincter. If it is very dark its usually from further up and probably needs further investigation.

I've had that from time to time Jon... generally in line with constipation when i've strained too much. But this..... this is a whole lot different. Turns the whole toilet bowl red and when i've wiped, it's akin to having a nose bleed...

:D

I've had that from time to time Jon... generally in line with constipation when i've strained too much. But this..... this is a whole lot different. Turns the whole toilet bowl red and when i've wiped, it's akin to having a nose bleed...

:nufc:

I too went to the quacks with the same symptoms, had them on and off for a good while.

I had the camera up the jacksy and have to admit (in a non gay way :razz: ) that its not as painful as you imagine. Uncomfortable yes, and the wind is embarassing but its no BBC outside broadcast as I was imagining! :nufc:

Although the self enema an hour beforehand is hell!!!!!!

Anyways mine turned out to be a dodgy pile :D

Anyways mine turned out to be a dodgy pile :D

That's what I'm hoping mine turns out to be....

Although the quack said that piles don't cause the forming of mucous and that's what his concern is. He left it at that so haven't got a clue what he was thinking... Any of the medics out there wanna make a suggest I'd be most appreciative.

Fingers crossed for you fella. Like most blokes Im just rubbish at going to the docs. either dont want to bother them or just keep thinking "it'll go away". You're doing the right thing though, hopefully it wont be anything too drastic and for a short moment of packing away your dignity, you could come out feeling a hell of a lot relieved, and I dont mean from the enema! I've been through a blood wiping stage, and like you I didnt do anything. thankfully it cleared up as I pinned my hopes to the "bright blood / dark blood" theory. Hope it goes well.

Well like I said, my brother suffers badly with colitis - not sure if it's something that is linked through family but it's there if it is...

Wait and see I guess - the bloods should show something I'd say.

There's a lot of mixed stuff out there about whether colitis is hereditary or not. There's no one else in my immediate family that's had it but obviously thats just one case. They get the blood results back pretty sharpish and the camera will give them an idea straigth away so hopefully you won't be left hanging too long.

May I be the first to suggest you're looking forward to some anal probing and because of this you're a big hermer

(hope everything goes well and you've done the right thing in getting it checked out.)

Yer BIG FOOKIN' POOFTAHHHHH