Belkin wireless connection

Jimbo

Just had a pig of an evening trying to set up wireless internet connectivity at a friends house he's got a belkin wireless modem/router (sorry can't remember the model number) a belkin wireless usb adapter and a belkin laptop adapter.

After a real battle I managed to get the wireless network to connect but so far I can't get the browsers on either his desktop machine or his laptop to communicate to the router sufficiently with the router to access the admin panel.

I think its something generally straight-forward as after I changed the IP/TCP parameters I got it to connect to the network, but so far I just cannot get the browsers on either machine to connect to the router.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I spent hours at my sisters house trying to set up her wireless for her, she ended up taking it to PC world for them to do it and it turned out the laptop was fucked and she needed a replacement :blink:

Sorry that doesn't really help you but I love the erm... look of my own typing :)

I spent hours at my sisters house trying to set up her wireless for her, she ended up taking it to PC world for them to do it and it turned out the laptop was fucked and she needed a replacement :blink:

Sorry that doesn't really help you but I love the erm... look of my own typing :)

the problems my neighbour has had with one of these things, which is playing up again and I don't what to do with it for him, has done nowt other than put me off getting one.

Not what Jimbo wants to hear I suppose, but it really does appear that these sodding things are a bit of a bugger

Once my sister got a new laptop it was a piece of piss to set up and hasnt had any problems since (she also uses an xbox 360 on it). She has the one currently advertised in the Currys adverts or at least the same make. I am looking to get one of those mobile internet things (t-mobile, 3 etc...).

I've been googling the faults that my mate is getting and they seem intrinsic to Belkin, lots of people posting threads quoting exactly the same problems but sadly no solutions, I'm tempted to suggest moving to a different brand, I use Linksys hardware and I've not had a moments trouble.

Sorry Jimbo - i know bugger all setting up a wireless connection but...

im pretty sure that windows can pretty much set things up itself.

have you tried disconnecting/resetting everything, then re-connecting and letting the OS configure it?

Had a load of problems installing a belkin adapter for the brother, got round it by uninstalling the software that came along with it. Windows then configured the connection for me.

Sorry Jimbo - i know bugger all setting up a wireless connection but...

im pretty sure that windows can pretty much set things up itself.

have you tried disconnecting/resetting everything, then re-connecting and letting the OS configure it?

Yeah I have, usually if you set the TCP/IP setting to acquire IP and DHCP automatically 99 times out of 100 a PC will connect to a wireless signal, but not this one which makes me suspect its a Belkinism.

Have you managed to get a suitable connection through ethernet and just having problems with the wireless element or are you having connection problems in general?

My mate got it sorted in the end, took another lengthy call to Talktalk who got him to change all manner of IP address, subnet masks and DHCP settings, just an example of how shoddy they are, no one would have stood a chance of setting this up without that info.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been told to hoy a wireless dongle into my wired PC and that'll allow me to wireless connect my Wii to the internet.

Is that right? Why would people buy a router if so?

Cheers.

Isn't the dongle for receiving wireless signals, not sending them out?

I've been told to hoy a wireless dongle into my wired PC and that'll allow me to wireless connect my Wii to the internet.

Is that right? Why would people buy a router if so?

Cheers.

Isn't the dongle for receiving wireless signals, not sending them out?

Absolutely... to get wireless running on the Wii, the dongle would have to be fitted to the Wii, NOT the PC. Sticking a dongle on a PC doesn't suddenly make it a wireless router!

Im pretty sure you can use a dongle to set the PC up as a gateway tbh which would work in this respect, ie PC sits between wired internet and Wii.

Why you would want to though is a totally different matter, you'd always have to have your PC on when you use the Wii and it cant be that much cheaper than buying a router.

Would work in theory but I guess it depends how configurable the wireless element of the Wii is.

Agreed that there's no real cost advantage of doing it this way as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers.

I got the wireless router and everything is running the internet hunky dory. 2 things...

1) I don't need a password, so I presume the neigbours don't. How do I set that up?

2) How do I set up a network to view the hard drives of each machine?

Cheers

Cheers.

I got the wireless router and everything is running the internet hunky dory. 2 things...

1) I don't need a password, so I presume the neigbours don't. How do I set that up?

Cheers

generally you configure the router by going to 192.168.0.1 or possibly 192.168.1.1 it will tell you in your manual.

One in there you can set up a WEP key.

Depending on what operating system you're using will determine how easy it is to set up a network.

Im on vista and it was fairly straight forward case of hooking the machine into the network and then changing the sharing properties on each machine to whatever you want within the Netwrok and Sharing Centre.

Or I think Jimbo mentioned some software in this or another thread which sets it all up for you.

Cheers.

Cheers

generally you configure the router by going to 192.168.0.1 or possibly 192.168.1.1 it will tell you in your manual.

Depending on what operating system you're using will determine how easy it is to set up a network.

Im on vista and it was fairly straight forward case of hooking the machine into the network and then changing the sharing properties on each machine to whatever you want within the Netwrok and Sharing Centre.

Or I think Jimbo mentioned some software in this or another thread which sets it all up for you.

Cheers, I got to the setup page and it lists my other devices as recognised by the router....but I'm still not sure about setting up the network.

I'm not trying to add PC's to the network, I only have the one....it's my archos player, xbox360 and Wii that I want to use to view content held on my PC. I'll have to have a gander at their instruction manuals to see how I connect to a network.

Cheers.

Cheers

Cheers, I got to the setup page and it lists my other devices as recognised by the router....but I'm still not sure about setting up the network.

I'm not trying to add PC's to the network, I only have the one....it's my archos player, xbox360 and Wii that I want to use to view content held on my PC. I'll have to have a gander at their instruction manuals to see how I connect to a network.

I dont think that the Wii is designed to view content on another machine, the xBox360 should be set up through Media Centre as an Extender and (Im guessing again here) that the Archos would just need you to set up the "Share Media" option within Windows Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally sorted.

What I had to do was open Windows Media player (version 11) and share my library with other devices. I can then add the name of all other devices on the network and they can see stuff on the main PC.

At last, 280Gb of music, video and photos streamed to my archos when I'm taking a shit.

:)