Lee Trundle

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United are keeping tabs on Swansea City's goalscoring striker Lee Trundle.

Trundle took his goals tally for the season to eight with both City goals in their 2-2 draw at Hartlepool United last Saturday.

United were at Victoria Park to watch Trundle, who is under contract with Swansea until 2007.

The 28-year-old's 22 goals clinched promotion for Swansea last season and the striker has scored in all but one of their seven games so far this season as Kenny Jackett's men look for a second successive promotion.

United plan to watch Trundle again before the transfer window re-opens in January.

Having spent more than £35m in the summer, United will not be that involved in buying players at the turn of the year but they could still do with another goalscoring striker.

Indeed, United could be forgiven if they tried to pick up a couple of bargain buys from the lower divisions and Trundle would love to step up to the Premiership.

He was born in Liverpool but qualifies for the Republic of Ireland through his grandfather.

Republic boss Brian Kerr has said that Trundle needs to score at a higher level to give himself a chance at international stage.

However, Trundle said: "If you are a natural goalscorer you should be able to get goals at any level.

"Defenders are obviously better the higher you go, but so are the players alongside you and that can make you a better player.

"I want to play at the highest level possible and making an international appearance would be the highlight of my career."

Not surprisingly, there has not been that much talk about any possible players coming to St James' Park at the turn of the year.

But one name which keeps cropping up is that of Chelsea's England left back Wayne Bridge who has not played since he broke his ankle in a tackle on Alan Shearer in United's FA Cup triumph in February.

Isn't he an overweight showboater?

38549[/snapback]

he's an excellent player but I doubt he would be a success in the premiership. Similar to the way that Lua Lua was outstanding for Colchester and won them games single handedly time and time again.

I dread to think how the people of Swansea would cope if we did sign him, I dont anyone would talk to me at work ever again!