England v Switzerland Official Match Thread

Besty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Class goal that second one. Were some nice moments in the 2nd half.

Second half was a lot better from England.

Owen must be pissed off, every outfield player apart from Lescott got a bit of playing time, Owen didn't. Could be good for us though.

Class goal that second one. Were some nice moments in the 2nd half.

Second half was a lot better from England.

Owen must be pissed off, every outfield player apart from Lescott got a bit of playing time, Owen didn't. Could be good for us though.

Might put in a bit more effort with his second team now. :P

frustrating first half, much better second though. Thought we were a lot more controlled on the ball and a lot more aware off the ball.

Barring a couple of misplaced passes (A.Cole and Brown most guilty tbh) we were pretty assured on the ball and with some confident and measured build up we were always the more likely to score. I can't think of many times the Swiss really scared us in the second half and their goal was pretty much out of the blue.

Not sure if better sides will afford us the same respect though which may mean changing the system on the fly. Hopefully Capello is capable of getting these players to become comfortable in more than one formation.

will the press be getting stuck in to the england fans at wembley (cockneys) last night?

boo'ing, chants of 'there's only one david beckham'

it seemed the new manager was given around 32 minutes to get it right

:P

will the press be getting stuck in to the england fans at wembley (cockneys) last night?

:P

It was a disgrace to be honest.

:D

Aye, fucking muppets. Booing the team for keeping possession :P

Last night's highlight:

Just before the game started, the referee's name was read out and his nationality - German. As soon as the announcer said 'Germany' a section of the crowd started booing. At that precise moment, Fab-lo's head was on the big screen. He heard the booing, saw his dial on the big screen and assumed the crowd were booing him :P:D :D Fair dues to the guy though, as he laughed it off.

Despite what 'Motty' and 'Lawro' said, I thought the pitch looked dodgy again - despite being a new pitch.

Nice to hear the fans booing after 30 mins :D

frustrating first half, much better second though. Thought we were a lot more controlled on the ball and a lot more aware off the ball.

Barring a couple of misplaced passes (A.Cole and Brown most guilty tbh) we were pretty assured on the ball and with some confident and measured build up we were always the more likely to score. I can't think of many times the Swiss really scared us in the second half and their goal was pretty much out of the blue.

Not sure if better sides will afford us the same respect though which may mean changing the system on the fly. Hopefully Capello is capable of getting these players to become comfortable in more than one formation.

Nice debut goal though from an 18-year old sub.

Thought we played some nice football but most times they got near the box they looked like rabbits in headlights and didn't know what to do with the ball, tripping over it ffs. Hopefullly Capello will sort that out.

The crowd were a disgrace, but as someone else eluded to the press won't write lots of patronising articles about them for wanting instant sucess.

3 days of training and Capello seems to have outlawed the long ball. Now if only KK could do the same!

Didn't our second goal come from a long ball, flicked on by Rooney to Gerrard who put the cross in?

Aye, we went more direct after Crouch came on but Pearce was instructing James not to launch it before then.

3 days of training and Capello seems to have outlawed the long ball. Now if only KK could do the same!

Didn't our second goal come from a long ball, flicked on by Rooney to Gerrard who put the cross in?

Aye, we went more direct after Crouch came on but Pearce was instructing James not to launch it before then.

Didn't see Pearce doing that but as I said, we played some decent stuff. Maybe that's why we looked so clueless when we had the ball on the deck in their box, the players just aren't used to it. :P

Thought we played some nice football but most times they got near the box they looked like rabbits in headlights and didn't know what to do with the ball, tripping over it ffs. Hopefullly Capello will sort that out.

The crowd were a disgrace, but as someone else eluded to the press won't write lots of patronising articles about them for wanting instant sucess.

Agree, the crowd were a fucking joke but i won't expect numerous articles and columns slatign them for ages!

As for the performance what i saw it was poor first half and much better second half, hopefully something to build on in that. Though personally i've never thought English players seem to suit 1 up front at home, just never really liked it.

Once Capello gets some time with them and a few games under his belt we'll see what he can do and the players won't have any excuses left as he's privem time and again he can do the business.

Agree, the crowd were a fucking joke but i won't expect numerous articles and columns slatign them for ages!

You do realise though that an ENGLISH newspaper isn't going to take on THE WHOLE COUNTRY!! :P

They can slag us off because we aren't the only people who buy their papers..... :D

...now as for the international press, I'm sure there are plenty of articles about how England expects to win everything and take the piss....

God you lot are finicky. Good performance and the players played nice and tight within formation for a change.

They did cheer the possession later when they started to understand what was going on.

God you lot are finicky. Good performance and the players played nice and tight within formation for a change.

They did cheer the possession later when they started to understand what was going on.

They only cheered it later on because we were 2-1 up.

They only cheered it later on because we were 2-1 up.

That and the fact that they were bored stupid. I was so bored I did a streak across the front room!