Owen - I will reignite spark

bawan

Edit: Not sure how Owen at his peak even was more of 'special case' than Bergkamp either. The former's game was reliant on pace whereas Bergkamp's wasn't. So, ignoring Owen's lack of pace because of his 'special' qualities isn't really going to happen re: Wenger et al.

I dunno that Owen's game has really been that reliant on pace since his very early years (even then it was hardly the majority of his game in the way it might be for say Martin), certainly by RM it was much less so than in 1998.

It was highly reliant on it. He may not have been lightning quick (as of old) but he had 1) Pace off the mark and 2) Enough pace to stay ahead of most defenders once he got the wrong side of him. And now he hasn't.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he's a lot cheaper and a lot more available and has been on several occasions since then and no one has come in for him. The debate about him on leaving Madrid is moot anyway since he's nowhere near the player he was. You can see he's not a patch on the player we first saw in black and white. He'd do better with better service, that's a given. I don't know what point you're actually making other than that because he's never going to play for a top side again. Steven Taylor would do better in Arsenal's defence but he's not good enough to get a game for them either. You could say similar things about the whole team.

He hasn't been that cheap when he's been available with that leaving clause, and he's never had the games under his belt to say that he would return from injury in any form at all during those times.

I'm clearly saying it's impossible to really say how good or bad he is given the team he is playing in, and that it's nothing like as clear cut as saying the top 4 would never come for him (at any price) and/or would never play him.

No, you're not really saying anything. He was/is cheap for a good striker btw.

I do think that Owen has lost a lot of his game. However, let's look at Sunday:

NUFC's first 'goal' disallowed; Owen is the man in the position to score.

NUFC's second 'goal' disallowed (the corner that went out then in): Owen is the man in the position to score.

NUFC's only goal of the game; Owen scores.

A great chance to make it 2 - 0, when the ball is cut back to near the penalty spot; Owen is the man in the postion to score.

The above examples show he does have this knack of being in the right place.

Everyone of those came from a set piece and thats generally for me the only time he looks dangerous.

I do not slate the guy on here or at the matches but he really does look done to me. Each game I keep expecting for it to maybe click but game after game it is convincing me that he is finished as a player. There is no doubting he knows where the back of the net is (although as pointed out by others even alot of his shots are both weak and scuffed) but his all round game is offering very little to the side from open play.

The last one came from a move down the left, but I take your overall point. I find it annoying when he is dropping back into our half though as he's supposed to be a striker. Who knows what he will show in a better team set-up (maybe playing for England will show us, once Capello gets some meaningful games to play for and the team playing the way he wants them to).

with the right service Owen will be lethal in front of goal, its a fact, it aint rocket science. I still have the faith in him.

He hasn't looked lethal when he's had chances so far. Obviously he'd score more with better service but I think he's nothing more than a slightly better than average Premier League forward these days. Hasn't got enough to his game to be owt special any more.

A white Darius Vassel

Edit: Not sure how Owen at his peak even was more of 'special case' than Bergkamp either. The former's game was reliant on pace whereas Bergkamp's wasn't. So, ignoring Owen's lack of pace because of his 'special' qualities isn't really going to happen re: Wenger et al.

I dunno that Owen's game has really been that reliant on pace since his very early years (even then it was hardly the majority of his game in the way it might be for say Martin), certainly by RM it was much less so than in 1998.

It was highly reliant on it. He may not have been lightning quick (as of old) but he had 1) Pace off the mark and 2) Enough pace to stay ahead of most defenders once he got the wrong side of him. And now he hasn't.

He's not been as quick as he was once for a long time, certainly at RM, and probably quite a while before.

But that still goes back the issue that given good enough supply he'll still be in the right place at the right time and finish much more often than say Martins with bags of pace will do the same. Although equally Martins will be the better bet when we're relying on self created wonder goal out of nothing, but you can only build a team around one of those things.

Well, he's a lot cheaper and a lot more available and has been on several occasions since then and no one has come in for him. The debate about him on leaving Madrid is moot anyway since he's nowhere near the player he was. You can see he's not a patch on the player we first saw in black and white. He'd do better with better service, that's a given. I don't know what point you're actually making other than that because he's never going to play for a top side again. Steven Taylor would do better in Arsenal's defence but he's not good enough to get a game for them either. You could say similar things about the whole team.

He hasn't been that cheap when he's been available with that leaving clause, and he's never had the games under his belt to say that he would return from injury in any form at all during those times.

I'm clearly saying it's impossible to really say how good or bad he is given the team he is playing in, and that it's nothing like as clear cut as saying the top 4 would never come for him (at any price) and/or would never play him.

You're saying he's clearly not though and that no one would play him. Make your mind up.

he is constantly off side because he has to be right on the margin these days to get a sniff...I still think we are not playing to his strengths, which is dozens of balls flashed intelligently into the box, which to be fair Oba and Shola would probs convert anyway....what am I saying again? :lol:

Do we really want to rebuild our team while including a striker who has his best days behind him? Yes Owen still has his positive attributes but if we're looking to the long term then perhaps we're better off without him provided we can get a better all round player in to replace him.

Same goes for Viduka.

Owen can bring a hell of a lot more to te squad going forward than Viduka. Though Id keep them both. I think we need a goalscorer to come in shipping out Shola. Martins/Viduka/Owen/+1 to compete for places. I still think owen can come good if he gets the supply. I think he can under KK. He will never be the player he was, but at least we can start to see a return on him.

I've more hope in Owen finding his form than in Martins finding a brain surgeon, Viduka the way out of the Fatfighter convention and Ameobi his alleged talent.

Plus, it won't be that easy to sell Owen anyway. At the moment he is only living from his reputation ... and his huge wages which no buying club will want to match.

You're saying he's clearly not though and that no one would play him. Make your mind up.

I'm not saying he is good in my previous post. I meant the price he'd be available at is cheap for a good striker (any good striker that is).

Edited by alex