Treble chance hope for Sou

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness admitted today that it was still touch and go whether Newcastle United would have their "big three" midfielders Emre, Kieron Dyer (pictured) and Nobby Solano in their side when Manchester City come to St James' Park on Saturday.

While Scott Parker will be back from his suspension, Souness told me today: "I would say that the other three of Dyer, Solano and Emre are still all doubtful.

"We will know better in a couple of days but at this moment in time, I would say that all three are only 50-50 for Saturday."

At least Souness is happy to have Parker back after the England international's red card against Fulham and he revealed that Shola Ameobi will be in contention again because his shin injury has cleared up and the reason the striker missed out at Blackburn on Sunday was because he had a chest infection.

United will be without Steven Taylor after the young defender was sent off at Ewood Park but Titus Bramble will play alongside Jean Alain Boumsong against City and Souness will have his Aussie central defender Craig Moore available for the first time after his hamstring injury.

Added the United boss: "We were just about down to the bare bones on Sunday, so at least we will get a few more bodies back for Saturday."

Souness was in a relaxed mood today after a most satisfying day for him at Ewood Park where he won the tactical battle with his successor Mark Hughes.

But the Scot has never been one to look back saying: "What we really need now is to keep the place buzzing by going on a run."

Manchester City, who were desperately unlucky to lose for the first time in 13 matches against Bolton Wanderers on Sunday, have injury doubts to former United striker Andy Cole and ex-England winger Trevor Sinclair.

Meanwhile, United have a free week to prepare for Manchester City even though some of the teams who finished above them in the Premiership last season are in Carling Cup action this week.

But United were made exempt until the third round of the Carling at the end of next month because their involvement in the Intertoto Cup meant that they could have been playing UEFA Cup football.

I thought we we're going to win the league, league cup, and FA cup tbh.  ;)

36097[/snapback]

You'd be gutted if we did anyway.

36098[/snapback]

Unless Souness was sacked first.

I thought we we're going to win the league, league cup, and FA cup tbh.  ;)

36097[/snapback]

36098[/snapback]

Well it would be a piss poor performance considering he has had 50 million to spend. He has to win the Champions league to appease me - this year.

If they're 50-50 then let's not risk them please.

36094[/snapback]

Surely that is the only logical answer, only an idiot would would risk them, your move Graeme.

I thought we we're going to win the league, league cup, and FA cup tbh.  :wacko:

36097[/snapback]

36098[/snapback]

Well it would be a piss poor performance considering he has had 50 million to spend. He has to win the Champions league to appease me - this year.

36106[/snapback]

He'll have to get blood out of a stone before he'll appease you! ;)

Heres a chance to see if the manager and coaches have learned anything at all this season. Play them and they haven't, give them more rest and they may just show they actually have a brain between them.

The words 50:50 should surely be enough for anyone to know not to risk them, with our players 90:10 sounds seriously risky! 50:50 means they are as likely to break down and be out for weeks again as they are to manage to last a game.

Souness has to cure cancer to please some people.*

*by that I don't mean the metaphorical "cancer" that was running through our club.

36209[/snapback]

If they are genuinely 50:50 then in this instance all he has to do is think of the club/team and indeed himself long term and rest them. The play a midfield of:

Zog-----Parker-----Clark------Bowyer (or the young winger O'Brien on the right)

And he'll have done his job well, not asking too much IMBO (thats in my biassed opinion ;) )

It is common sense to play just your fully fit players.  But that seems to desert Souness most of the time.

36216[/snapback]

Its something thats annoyed me about NUFC during and indeed before Souness' time here.

We rush players back and crock them, we rush players back who have ahistory with injury instead of giving thm longer than is required. We never brign them back through the reserves to ease them back in.

And as we all know when you combine that with sunday league standard coaching and fitness work, its a recipe for disaster.

We've just won 3-0 away from home, the players will be upbeat and maybe even the fans so we can win the home match without him rushing players back. But if we are to win we need to play an attacking midfield and attacking tactics not defensive midfielders in attack and fullbacks on the wing!

The game is there for the taking without Dyer/Emre/Nobby so no need to risk them.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Blackburn were really poor on Sunday and Man City are a completely different prospect.

We need all of the help we can get.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Blackburn were really poor on Sunday and Man City are a completely different prospect.

36226[/snapback]

I agree, and remember i'm in the pessemists club on here ;) But its amazing what a 3-0 away win and goals for both strikers after months of shite can do to morale and has a knock on effect in your next game!

City are looking decent this year and Blackburn were indeed shite (as were we until the goal) so its far from easy, but they have a chance to build on the good feeling they must currently have.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Blackburn were really poor on Sunday and Man City are a completely different prospect.

36226[/snapback]

I agree, and remember i'm in the pessemists club on here ;) But its amazing what a 3-0 away win and goals for both strikers after months of shite can do to morale and has a knock on effect in your next game!

City are looking decent this year and Blackburn were indeed shite (as were we until the goal) so its far from easy, but they have a chance to build on the good feeling they must currently have.

36235[/snapback]

Pfffft.....when is the last time we done that?

36226[/snapback]

36235[/snapback]

Pfffft.....when is the last time we done that?

36236[/snapback]

Wish i could remember!