Asprilla

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Everton have told Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish that striker James McFadden would cost him £5m. (The Express)

Tottenham look to have won the race to sign £8.5m striker Fred from PSG. (The Sun)

Manchester United could move for Hertha Berlin left-back Gilberto as cover for Patrice Evra. (Daily Mail)

Aston Villa defender Gary Cahill is wanted by three Premiership clubs. (Various)

Bolton boss Gary Megson has agreed a £4m deal with AZ Alkmaar to sign Icelandic defender Gretar Steinsson. (The Mirror)

Spurs keeper Paul Robinson could be used as bait to land Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing. (The Sun)

Liverpool and Chelsea are battling it out to land £10m Uruguayan defender Martin Caceres, 19. (The Sun)

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has offered £1.5m for Crystal Palace defender Lee Hills. (The Sun)

Pompey are also showing an interest in former Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman. The 28-year-old is currently at Turkish side Fenerbahce. (Daily Mail)

QPR will make a final £1m offer for talented Sheffield Wednesday defender Tommy Spurr. (Daily Star)

QPR have also bid £1.8m for Spurs winger Wayne Routledge. (The Sun)

Arsenal are chasing £5m-rated Marseille youngster Andre Ayew. (The Sun)

West Ham are closing in on Ipswich's teenage star Danny Haynes. The Hammers are willing to pay up to £3m for the winger. (The Sun)

Fulham are in talks with 23-year-old American striker Eddie Johnson, who plays for the Kansas City Wizards. (The Guardian)

Derby manager Paul Jewell is hoping to sign Wigan full-back Emmerson Boyce. (The Guardian)

Sunderland lead the race to sign Blackburn's £2m-rated striker Jason Roberts. (The Mirror)

Atletico Madrid have joined the race to sign Liverpool midfielder Momo Sissoko after Juventus's interest cooled. (The Mirror)

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson is trying to sign Wigan's Paul Scharner for £3m. (The Mirror)

Portsmouth will beat Spurs to the signing of Arsenal's £5.5m Lassana Diarra. (The Mirror)

Bristol City boss Gary Johnson is trying to sign Sparta Prague's £1m striker Libor Dosek. (The Mirror)

Tottenham are willing to accept £12.5m for striker Darren Bent, £3m less than they paid for him a year ago. (The Times)

Liverpool have joined the race for Ajax striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. (The Times)

Billy Davies is out of the running for the Scotland job. The SFA have asked Southampton for permission to speak to George Burley. (The Guardian)

Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has said he would take the Newcastle job. (Daily Express)

Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer both want the Newcastle job, but won't work together. (The Mirror)

Rafa Benitez could take legal action against owner Tom Hicks after he admitted the club tried to line up Jurgen Klinsmann to replace him. (Daily Telegraph)

Benitez has vowed to stand firm and not resign after the Klinsmann revelations. (Various)

Fabio Capello has refused to confirm whether David Beckham will win his 100th cap for England next month. (Various)

Capello is also refusing to commit on whether John Terry will be England captain once he is fit. (Various)

AND FINALLY

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has taunted Chelsea by saying that new £15m signing Nicolas Anelka would rather be playing for the Gunners and not the Stamford Bridge club. (Various)

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

TOON JUST HAVE TO CALL

SHORT LIST: Houllier wants the vacant Magpies job

Tuesday January 15,2008

By Niall Hickman

GERARD Houllier would jump at the chance to become Newcastle manager if billionaire owner Mike Ashley offers him the job.

The former Liverpool and Lyon manager is now France’s highly-respected technical director, but he would be keen to return to the Premier League if the right club offered him a deal.

Last night his boss at the French federation, Jean-Pierre Escalette, said: “I would not stand in Gerard’s way if there was something else he wanted to do. I am not surprised he gets offers.

“He turned one or two down to rejoin us and they were better financially than we could offer him.”

Ashley returns from business in Hong Kong today and no decision has been taken on who he will now turn to following Harry Redknapp’s refusal.

Houllier is on his short list alongside a number of other high-profile names. Ashley has been caught out by Redknapp’s decision to stay at Portsmouth, which has exposed his lack of a Plan B.

However, Houllier, along with Mark Hughes, Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho and Kevin Keegan, is in Ashley’s thoughts and the fact that life president Sir John Hall has publicly preferred the former Anfield boss as Sam Allardyce’s successor will not do his cause any harm.

Houllier’s standing within the game has always been high and there were strong elements inside the England board who preferred him to Fabio Capello when the Italian was appointed national boss.

He won five trophies over six seasons with Liverpool.

Not a single comment from him of course.

Didn't he win 5 trophies in one season?

Charity Shield, League Cup, FA Cup, Uefa Cup and Super Cup?

Not quite. It was within 12 months, I think.

Aye, he'd have to win the waffa to get in the super cup ;) D'oh.

At this moment in time i'd time 5 trophies in 50 years. So this lad isn't a bad bet IMO

Didn't he win 5 trophies in one season?

Charity Shield, League Cup, FA Cup, Uefa Cup and Super Cup?

Not quite. It was within 12 months, I think.

Aye, he'd have to win the waffa to get in the super cup ;) D'oh.

At this moment in time i'd time 5 trophies in 50 years. So this lad isn't a bad bet IMO

Of course Souness had won trophies up the ying yang too.

I'm far more interested in a candidates compatibility with the club, the chairman, the press and the fans than what they've managed at other clubs under completely different circumstances.

Funny about KK and Shearer not wanting to work together, if true, as I think it would be preferable to either on their own (in the short-term at least).

i'm not sure i'd fancy houlier being the one to identify players. he signed plenty of shocking players at liverpool. cisse, song, diao, le tallac etc

True, but he also plucked Hyypia from nowhere, took a chance on some kid called Riise, gambled on Finnan who had came right through the leagues...

i think houillier would be a better bet than the likes of hughes or redknapp but there are other foreign coaches who i think ashley should approach first. van gaal, hitzfeld and mourinho for example.

i'm not sure i'd fancy houlier being the one to identify players. he signed plenty of shocking players at liverpool. cisse, song, diao, le tallac etc

True, but he also plucked Hyypia from nowhere, took a chance on some kid called Riise, gambled on Finnan who had came right through the leagues...

He was also ready to sell Finnan without giving him much chance wasn't he? Benitez resurrected his Liverpool career I think. The other two have obviously done well for Liverpool although Riise is a bit of a one-trick pony imo and they hardly cancel out some of his worst buys.

No thanks. Houllier's medical history doesn't suggest he'd be up to the pressure cooker he'd be in here. Not the worst appointment, but his football's a bit negative, if quite slick, and he did sign some shite players.

"He's fat, he's French, he colapses on the bench. Houllier ! Houllier !"

;)

i think houillier would be a better bet than the likes of hughes or redknapp but there are other foreign coaches who i think ashley should approach first. van gaal, hitzfeld and mourinho for example.

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh. ;)

BTW, my smiley wasn't an indication of me wanting him here....more that people were writing off our chances of attracting anyone better that Steve Bruce or Paul Ince.

I think he's the right man at the wrong time myself.

Management teams never work. One has to be the boss, and I can imagine both have an ego that would demand they were top dog.

Yeah manager + captain worked, but I doubt either would work directly under the other as such.

Houllier can fuck right off. Played pretty average stuff for Liverpool, inherited a great Lyon team and couldn't take them that extra step, has bought alot of shit. Will have a heart attack if he comes here also.

Fucking hell, extra step to where?

World domination with pinky and the brain!

Fuck some of you talk some shite.

OL have been French champions for six years, it takes a manager with some talent to maintain this.

And he is technical director of the FFF, you don't think he might have his eye on the best players and potentials in France?

Not my first choice but rates above a fucking lot of other dross we are being linked with.