Jenas

Craig

It's grin up north

Like many who support clubs outside the top three and/or London, I can be sensitive to the manner in which our club and region is portrayed by the national media.

I listened to a caller to a national radio show who was practically in tears that Michael Owen had signed for NUFC and was bewildered that he'd decided to go to the "sodding North East". This caller was from Dagenham. Have you been? It's like Workington without the glamour.

Some of the coverage has gone from patronising to blatantly offensive and abusive. Had Owen signed for Spurs I doubt that a club who have never played in the Champions League would have received the same scorn Newcastle United has been subjected to irecently. Cynicism, tired stereotyping and thick prejudice dressed up as insight.

The same "experts," in moments of reflection, will doubtless produce stuff about how uncompetitive the Premiership has become, how no-one is able to mount a serious challenge to the football oligarchy, not realising such a challenge will come from clubs like Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton, Villa and Spurs. To do that they need the best players - are you with me? Duh!

Still, if we are upsetting effete media types and others who can't see beyond the end of their nose, we must be doing something right. It's a pity Jermaine Jenas couldn't see that. I believe that Jenas wanted to leave NUFC to live in London.

Great strategy, son. Have a word with Alain Goma - he was the last misguided soul to imagine his life would be brilliant sitting sipping an espresso in a swish West London café imagining he was at the centre of the world. Pity he lost his career along the way. Nice shops, though.

Proverbial nail hit on the head - good luck Jermaine......you're gonna need it sat on that bench! :blink:

Oligarchy means a small minority in power.

29753[/snapback]

It means rule by the rich.

29763[/snapback]

No, but it's implicit in the situation really. Riches and power going hand-in-hand and all.