Alan Smith signs 5 year deal

2bias

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly happy with this. I don't think many people would have had him high on their list for potential signings this summer but I do believe he's a good footballer and his attitude could never be brought into question.

Good addition to the squad but I still feel we are without a quality playmaker in the squad unless Sam can get more than the odd flash out of Emre.

Oh and well done on avoiding admitting that the fact could well be complete bollocks.

In the initial response that I typed, I admitted that it mightn't be true, but that it wouldn't surprise me if it was - 70 goals in 90 games between two players is a good partnership, but not totally unbelievable or anything. But I opted instead to take the piss out of the fact that even though you don't believe the stats, you believe that Viduka scored more of the "imaginary" goals than Smith. Just because you've got a downer on the bloke.

Well Smith's 38 league goals in 172 league appearances leads me to believe that Viduka scored the majority of goals in their partnership.

Yeah but you've only just checked that now. Before you were just making the assumption cos you don't like the bloke. I'm not really arsed though tbh, I just think some people would do well to give a player a chance before just having a massive downer on them. For me, if a player comes here, I'll look on them positively until they give me a reason to do otherwise in a black and white shirt.

Despite what the moaning minnies think, I reckon he could go on to become a fans favourite.

Scoring a few goals, putting in the odd reducer and working 100% for the entire game ticks all the right boxes.

Got to hope Allardyce has a plan for him.

I'm not really unsure of him as a player (he's ok - not set the world a lite but he brings aspects certainly) , but I'm not sure where he's going to fit in (right of a front 3 as suggested maybe).

Good luck Smithy, one of the few modern day footballers I have some time for.

I'm not getting drawn into the debate of his playing ability but I do think he's a true professional.

Signs for Man Utd from Leeds most hated rivals putting himself and his family in danger. If some stories I've heard are true his family have suffered dogs abuse as well physical threats but he doesn't go to the press whinging about it.

Starts really well for Man Utd scoring some important goals for them.

After a certain Fat Freddie Shepherd makes a public approach for Rooney, Fergie is forced into buying Rooney at least 12 months before he had a private agreement with Moyes / Everton to take him. Rooney comes in earlier than expected to play the position Smith is but he doesn't whinge about it, just knuckles down trying to earn his place.

Asked to play out of position by Fergie but just gets on with it like unlike some.

After breaking his leg is offered numerous chances to go out on loan but wants to stay and fight for his place with Man Utd.

Comes back well and earns a recall to the England squad.

Only leaves after Fergie tells him he has no future, not prepared to pick up his wages for sitting on the bench unlike some.

OK, not a world beater as player but I think his attitude and desire will have a positive effect on everybody around him at Newcastle. A non drinking ultimate professional who will graft his bollocks off for you and won't whinge when things don't go his way. I sincerely hope he proves the doubters wrong and re-ignites his career now.

Good luck Smithy, one of the few modern day footballers I have some time for.

I'm not getting drawn into the debate of his playing ability but I do think he's a true professional.

Signs for Man Utd from Leeds most hated rivals putting himself and his family in danger. If some stories I've heard are true his family have suffered dogs abuse as well physical threats but he doesn't go to the press whinging about it.

Starts really well for Man Utd scoring some important goals for them.

After a certain Fat Freddie Shepherd makes a public approach for Rooney, Fergie is forced into buying Rooney at least 12 months before he had a private agreement with Moyes / Everton to take him. Rooney comes in earlier than expected to play the position Smith is but he doesn't whinge about it, just knuckles down trying to earn his place.

Asked to play out of position by Fergie but just gets on with it like unlike some.

After breaking his leg is offered numerous chances to go out on loan but wants to stay and fight for his place with Man Utd.

Comes back well and earns a recall to the England squad.

Only leaves after Fergie tells him he has no future, not prepared to pick up his wages for sitting on the bench unlike some.

OK, not a world beater as player but I think his attitude and desire will have a positive effect on everybody around him at Newcastle. A non drinking ultimate professional who will graft his bollocks off for you and won't whinge when things don't go his way. I sincerely hope he proves the doubters wrong and re-ignites his career now.

I`ve always liked Smith and reckon his attitude can rub off on some of our players. I think he will surprise a few with his goal tally if given the chance.

Just need them defenders now. SSN said Capacca(or whatever his name is) was having a medical today, is this right?

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

I have heard that Smith wasnt keen on signing for us as he thought Big Sam wasnt intelligant enough. He has obviously proved him wrong.

Smith is a Tee-totaller, something that wouldnt have gone down well with fat fred!

Sounds like an attack minded version of Parker.

What's the craic with the 'undisclosed' fees? I saw on the SSN ticker that Liverpool have almost every fee down as this. Can someone enlighten me as to why they aren't revealed?

What's the craic with the 'undisclosed' fees? I saw on the SSN ticker that Liverpool have almost every fee down as this. Can someone enlighten me as to why they aren't revealed?

I think it's if it turns out to be a shit signing then they don't look like twats with a big fee and if it's a great signing they can say he only cost this

I think it's if it turns out to be a shit signing then they don't look like twats with a big fee and if it's a great signing they can say he only cost this

I might be wrong but dont you only have to disclose the fee if you are a PLC

I might be wrong but dont you only have to disclose the fee if you are a PLC

correct, as we are no longer on the stock market we don't have to disclose any fee

I predicted this signing a few years back. God I'm good.

:lol:

Jesus christ, I'm leaving the country if we ever buy Malbranque....

Didn't someone photoshop an image of Smith in the Newcastle kit back then? ;)

I predicted this signing a few years back. God I'm good.

:lol:

Jesus christ, I'm leaving the country if we ever buy Malbranque....

Didn't someone photoshop an image of Smith in the Newcastle kit back then? ;)

Think I did, I'll have a look later :blush:

0,,10278~3344619,00.gif

Sam Speaks: I Didn't Think Twice About Smithy

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce admits that once he knew a player of Alan Smith's quality was available he did not have to think twice about making a move.

The 26-year-old England star penned a five-year deal with the Magpies on Friday and became Big Sam's fifth signing of the summer.

And, as the Toon gaffer told Newcastle World TV, he is delighted to have the Premiership winner on board at St.James'.

"Once I knew a player of Alan's quality was available I didn't have to think twice about making a move," said the 52-year-old boss.

"I think it's one of the quickest transfers I've ever been involved in because we knew straight away we wanted him here.

"I'm delighted to have a player of Alan's ability and character at Newcastle United and I'm sure he'll be an excellent signing for the club.

"I spoke with him and explained our plans for the club and he was very impressed, thankfully he chose us because there was a lot of interest from other clubs.

"He's a versatile player who I envisage we will be able to use in a number of positions.

"I'm looking forward to working with him and it shows his attitude that he wants to be involved straight away against Sampdoria on Sunday."

Edited by Barney

I'm not a fan but I hope he can prove me wrong.

Perhaps the position he's likely to play in (attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 IMO) will suit him, I've never seen him play there before so perhaps fat Sam thinks he's got all of the attributes to play there? He's not good enough as a striker but does have alot of attributes needed to play there, same as midfield, perhaps playing in between both will suit him.

We'll soon find out, good luck to him anyway.

I'm not a fan but I hope he can prove me wrong.

Perhaps the position he's likely to play in (attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 IMO) will suit him, I've never seen him play there before so perhaps fat Sam thinks he's got all of the attributes to play there? He's not good enough as a striker but does have alot of attributes needed to play there, same as midfield, perhaps playing in between both will suit him.

We'll soon find out, good luck to him anyway.

I think a lot will depend on the fitness of your other forwards but if (and a big if) Owen has a relatively injury free season I actually think Smith will prove a more natural partner for him than any of your other forwards.

Assuming Owen is fit I'm presuming he will be your no.1 striker. I don't think Owen likes to play with another out and out striker. Owen's principle assets have always been blistering pace to latch on to balls through the channels and a good eye for goal. Will the rehabilitated Michael Owen have the same pace as before? I'm not so sure which leaves his principle asset as his eye for goal in and around the box. Smith's constant harrying will create loose balls and half chances for Owen far more than say Martins. I don't somehow see Owen & Viduka forming a natural partnership (I may be proved wrong) so I think Smith will prove the best partner of them all for Owen, he'll create space and chances for him without taking up the positions Owen likes to find.

Guess Barton is losing his number 7 then? or is that all they had left over?

ALAN Smith has completed his £6m move to Newcastle United.

The Magpies agreed a fee with Manchester United earlier this week and Smith has now agreed personal terms.

He has signed a five-year deal and will wear the No 17 shirt.

75949243wn6.jpg

Guess Barton is losing his number 7 then? or is that all they had left over?

ALAN Smith has completed his £6m move to Newcastle United.

The Magpies agreed a fee with Manchester United earlier this week and Smith has now agreed personal terms.

He has signed a five-year deal and will wear the No 17 shirt.

75949243wn6.jpg

Thats not your telly Jim lad!