Big Sam fumes at Buffon

bawan

Sam Allardyce claims Andy Carroll was 'lucky' not to suffer a serious injury after being clattered by Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.

Carroll scored in Newcastle United's 2-0 friendly win at St James' Park, but was also on the receiving end of a reckless challenge from Buffon.

The Italian keeper charged out of his box with knees and elbows raised, and crashed straight into the teenage striker, with Allardyce unhappy with the incident.

"That was as bad as Harald Schumacher's challenge on Patrick Battiston in the 1982 World Cup," said Allardyce after the game.

"It was more like common assault than anything you expect to see on a football field. Andy was lucky not to end up in hospital.

"He is a young lad who must have been thrilled at scoring against a team like Juventus, but it could all have turned very sour for him."

Meanwhile, Allardyce is unaware of any plans for new Magpies owner Mike Ashley to appoint a director of football.

Reports have claimed that former manager Kevin Keegan has been lined up for a return to Tyneside, but Allardyce is understood to be lukewarm to the idea.

He added: "I've no idea what the club's thoughts are in that department.

"It hasn't come up, but if it does I'll make my views known in private."

The challenge was disgraceful. The ref should be banned for life for not sending him off.

Fuck off. Carroll bottled it, played the ball too far in front of him, and Buffon taught him an embarassing and worthwhile lesson.

The challenge was disgraceful. The ref should be banned for life for not sending him off.

Fuck off. Carroll bottled it, played the ball too far in front of him, and Buffon taught him an embarassing and worthwhile lesson.

Is there a video of it?

Fuck off?

A great comment to make before challenging a statement.

Do you kiss your mother with those lips?

Aye, Carroll should've went in to batter Buffon in a meaningless pre-season friendly. :lol:

Fuck off?

Indeed. And she appears to have more of an idea about refereeing decisions than some people on here, who shall remain nameless. Of course.

Fuck off?

Indeed. And she appears to have more of an idea about refereeing decisions than some people on here, who shall remain nameless. Of course.

Played the ball too far in front of him? You fuck off, he didnt even touch the ball before Buffon crashed into him. That is to me, a clear red card, I have no doubts Buffon could've taken the ball, but seems like he was satisfied with taking the man instead.

Edited by ghoulert

Well from 50 feet away it looked like Carroll lunged in for the ball at the last second for a ball that Buffon was convinced was his. You could say that that shows great commitment, and determination, and I'd be inclined to agree, but BS was just saying not 3 days ago that the reason Stevie Taylor got injured was because he threw himself into a challenge that he shouldn't have. I remember watching Carroll charging towards the box and thinking that Buffon was a dead cert to come out of the challenge better off, and although he looks too high, the whole point of a goalkeeper rushing to the edge of the box is to make himself bigger and cut down the angle... if that had been Shay, I don't believe that some people on here wouldn't be saying that the Goalkeeper had commited himsef to the challenge and couldn't back out.

Tbh, I'd say Carroll had all the rights in the world to go for that ball, the point isnt that Buffon crashed into Carroll, its the way he did it. Why not slide or something alike, not ninjaturtle his face to a pulp :l

edit: to be honest, if Shay ever made a challenge like that I wouldnt be surprised to see him sent off, infact I'd be more surprised that he didnt get sent off. Like the O' Brien challenge on Giggs a few years back :lol:

Edited by ghoulert

From where I was sitting, it was a bit of six and two threes. It was outside the box so Buffon naturally attacked the ball with his feet not with his hands, but while they were rather high, I thought Carroll was stooping a bit low.

What I did chuckle at was I was sat just to left of the directors box and when the challenge happened, I saw Sam get up and move down to the dugout followed by some fucking huge bouncer! :lol:

I suppose nobody else noticed Carroll look up to see where the ball was and then hit the deck like he'd been shot in the face as well then?

He's no Steven Taylor mind you.

Tbh, I'd say Carroll had all the rights in the world to go for that ball, the point isnt that Buffon crashed into Carroll, its the way he did it. Why not slide or something alike, not ninjaturtle his face to a pulp :l

edit: to be honest, if Shay ever made a challenge like that I wouldnt be surprised to see him sent off, infact I'd be more surprised that he didnt get sent off. Like the O' Brien challenge on Giggs a few years back :lol:

If it had been an English teams goalie they'd have been off IMO.

Buffoon knew what he was doing there, I doubt very much he was trying to hurt him, but he was making sure he wasn't going to go past him.