Training Ground Changes

The Mighty Hog

Thought this was worth a ookk as it's been mentioned a few times about hamstrings and the surface at the training ground:

Clickety-click

Newcastle are fighting a pitch battle at their £9 million training ground . . .

In a bid to protect their stars from picking up injuries, and knowing Michael Owen has been the victim of hamstring strains in the past.

United's squad have asked the club to modify the playing surfaces at the state-of-the-art centre in Benton to combat the threat of injury.

Amid a plague of hamstring problems in recent weeks, new boys Emre and Craig Moore have been sidelined along with Kieron Dyer.

Dyer and Emre were both crocked again in the first half of their comeback against Manchester United last Sunday, along with Lee Bowyer, who has a muscle strain.

And manager Graeme Souness - while insisting Dyer will overcome his difficulties - last night admitted action has been taken to minimise the risk of further casualties.

"We have had some of the fibre taken out of our pitches at the training ground," revealed Souness. "The players were complaining they were too firm."

He added: "There are large doubts over Dyer and Emre for the Fulham game next Saturday. We will wait and see, but we can't afford to rush them back."

However, the Newcastle boss added: "Of course I'm concerned about Kieron's fitness.

"But Ryan Giggs had the same problems and so too Michael Owen - and they sorted themselves out."

Edited by The Mighty Hog

Blaming the pitch now?  Fucking hell!

28000[/snapback]

Maybe if we just stopped them doing anything that could get them injured like running around, walking etc and did away with the reserves then things would be fine. Ahhh how I remember those heady Keegan days, never worrying that a player would injure themselves playing for the reserves.

I suppose little things like this help, just like the heated seats on the bench.

But the root of the problem is sub-standard medical & fitness staff.

27999[/snapback]

Thats it, i hope this does make an improvement, we certainly need it. But ultimately piss poor coaches, medical staff and idiots in charge rushing players back too quickly is where are problems lie.

We've shown we are willing to go for the best in terms of players, we have a great stadium and over the years we've went for some high profile managers, so why do we not use our money to surround all these players with the very best medical and coaching staff?