New PC

khay

Looking to build myself a PC always fancied doing it but never had the money. Just wondering if anyone knows any good sites to look at to help?

Or what to recommend getting parts wise.

I will probs be running Vista on the machine.

if you are contemplating running vista then you'll need something with a decent amount of memory.

whats your budget. do you want the pc to be quiet? do you want to play games on it?

Only game I play is FM on my PC. I currently have a 1.5 gig of RAM at the moment that I could use. For a graphic card I would like something that supports dual monitors.

Not over fussed about it being silent as long as it does not make to much noise.

We have a few hard drives at the moments that we could probs use, I know mine are sata not sure about the wife’s.

I'm just not to sure on the mother board side of things and the compatibility between different components.

www.ebuyer.co.uk and aria.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk are the better sites to be looking at for components.

Look carefully at your spec vs budget and think carefully if it would be better to buy a machine from Dell, they do some outstanding deals and you could buy a better prebuilt machine for your money.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products...;l=en&s=dhs

I'd go with what Jimbo says and look to buy a pre-built Dell - given the fact I work with PCs all week, the last thing I want to is build one at home but I can understand why some people do want to.

just bear in mind that with a pre-built machine, you'll get your 12 months warranty if anything goes wrong and also the beauty of a Dell is that the service tag is your passport to all the information you'll need. All you have to do is enter it on their website and it'll give you all the information you need about your machine and all the drivers for all operating systems.

Guest Patrokles

I built my own PC, but it was for very specific usage- ie, I needed it optimised to run as a DAW. It's actually very easy to do with an online tutorial, so don't let any notions of difficulty put you off. Having said that, if you just want a PC for everyday use it may be cheaper to go Dell. Not sure realy.

If you're keen to 'have a go' the building your own PC is a good learning curve. But then you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty and 'fault-find' if things go wrong (or be prepared to fork out silly money for not a lot of work).

If you want something that simply 'works' and needs as little hands-on maintenance as possible and is covered for 12 months, buy a Dell.

I'm mates with our IT manager and he just bought a new Dell for himself and he put it simply: I can buy one cheaper than I can build one.

So Dell then? ;)

It an option, both our current desktops are having problems. But it looks like both a new desktop will be in order and a laptop for when she goes back to uni as we don't really have enough space for a desk in the bedroom and she wont be able to study in the living room as I won't be able to play Ps3, watch Sky Sports and play FM on the other PC.

So Dell then? ;)

It an option, both our current desktops are having problems. But it looks like both a new desktop will be in order and a laptop for when she goes back to uni as we don't really have enough space for a desk in the bedroom and she wont be able to study in the living room as I won't be able to play Ps3, watch Sky Sports and play FM on the other PC.

;)

So Dell then? ;)

;)

Plus a laptop means I can sit and watch Football and play FM at the same time while sitting on my recliner. :icon_lol: