Baines deal almost complete

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon
Leighton Baines says he expects to remain at Wigan next season.

The full-back's future has been the subject of intense speculation with the likes of Newcastle and Tottenham credited with an interest in Baines.

Baines, who is currently away on international duty with England's Under 21s, insists he is happy at the JJB Stadium.

The 22-year-old admits he is grateful to be in Holland away from the speculation over his future.

"That's probably one of the advantages of being out here now," said Baines. "I've just got football to get on with and big games to play in and that's definitely a positive thing.

"I've been a part of the team and played regularly for the last three years or so. I've played I think more than 150 games at the club so I think I've been an important player over the last few years and I'd expect to be again next season."

Baines also believes he can push for a place in the senior England side by staying at Wigan.

"I think if I was looking to really push on for the senior squad, possibly you get overlooked playing at a small club but you look at Nicky Shorey and it proves that if you are doing the right things and the club are performing well on a weekly basis then you won't be overlooked," added Baines.

"I've not had any contact with Steve McClaren but we know he watches the games, the lads are all aware that he takes it with interest and there have been plenty of players recently who have progressed from the Under 21s to the senior squad so that's encouraging for everyone."

:lol:

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've not had any contact with Steve McClaren but we know he watches the games, the lads are all aware that he takes it with interest"

Implying that the England manager is a pork knuckle is unlikely to help his cause.

If we signed Leighton Baines we would have LB playing LB.

Oh how jolly!!

I bet that's brightened your day :lol:

Until three games in he gets injured and we have carr/taylor/rambo/edgar/huntington playing there for the rest of the season. Babayaro might be off the treatment table by then so we'll get at least half a game out of him and then return to carr/taylor/rambo/edgar/huntington playing there.

Has Shorey been performing well for the past few seasons Brock?

Was nothing special back in the old division 2 when Pardew bought him, but the past 2 or 3 seasons he's been one of Reading's best players. Very offensive-minded, gets plenty of good crosses in but he's not bad tracking back either.

Seemed to struggle to adjust to the premiership for a month or two into the season, but looks like he's found his level.

Great free kick taker as well. Always seems to at least hit the target or find a Reading player.

I still reckon NUFC could do with signing Sonko, shame he got injured. No doubt Reading wouldn't have bought Duberry and would therefore subsequently have qualified for Europe.

Was nothing special back in the old division 2 when Pardew bought him, but the past 2 or 3 seasons he's been one of Reading's best players. Very offensive-minded, gets plenty of good crosses in but he's not bad tracking back either.

Seemed to struggle to adjust to the premiership for a month or two into the season, but looks like he's found his level.

Great free kick taker as well. Always seems to at least hit the target or find a Reading player.

I still reckon NUFC could do with signing Sonko, shame he got injured. No doubt Reading wouldn't have bought Duberry and would therefore subsequently have qualified for Europe.

No good at NUFC then. We like players who continually hit the first man, time after time after time. :wub:

Edited by snakehips

No good at NUFC then. We like players who continually hit the first man, time after time after time. :razz:

Especially when Nobby is standing next to them over the dead ball and we all know he can't take a free kick to save his life :wub:

Guy at work was just saying to me that he read something in the paper with Allardyce saying that he doesn't want Baines because he doesn't have enough of a physical presence. Reckons he watched a lot of videos of Wigan's goals last season and that a lot of them can be attributed to the fact that Baines isn't big enough.

Anyone else see this or is he talking shit?

Guy at work was just saying to me that he read something in the paper with Allardyce saying that he doesn't want Baines because he doesn't have enough of a physical presence. Reckons he watched a lot of videos of Wigan's goals last season and that a lot of them can be attributed to the fact that Baines isn't big enough.

I saw it mentioned on either here or N-O. Not sure if he just meant Wigan's or our goals too though. Either way, he may have a point about the aerial presence. Which would suggest (as Holden McGroin said) he won't play Dyer at right-back either.

It was mentioned that he was not a target because of his height.

But one player who looks like missing out on the move he wanted to United is Wigan Athletic left-back and England Under-21 international Leighton Baines.

Chris Hutchings, who has replaced Paul Jewell at the JJB Stadium, has slapped a £5m price tag on the in-demand Baines.

United will not pay this, but in any case, after studying the goals conceded last season, Allardyce found that a lack of aerial authority by the full-backs was one of the reasons, and Baines does not have the height the new manager is looking for in his defenders.

Guest stevieintoon
But one player who looks like missing out on the move he wanted to United is Wigan Athletic left-back and England Under-21 international Leighton Baines.

Chris Hutchings, who has replaced Paul Jewell at the JJB Stadium, has slapped a £5m price tag on the in-demand Baines.

United will not pay this, but in any case, after studying the goals conceded last season, Allardyce found that a lack of aerial authority by the full-backs was one of the reasons, and Baines does not have the height the new manager is looking for in his defenders.

Aye they always relied on the towering, imposing presence of Ricardo Gardiner at left back did Bolton.

The only stories you can 100% trust re: Allardyce now are from his mate Shaun Custis of The Sun, who has stood by him through thick and thin and is also a huge toon fan.

Allardyce is fully aware of articles like this:

Why Big Sam's not the man for ToonMar 6 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Those fans who have had a little wager on Sam Allardyce being the next manager of Newcastle United know what they have to do today - tear up their betting slip.

The bookies make Big Sam third favourite behind Martin O'Neill and Roberto Mancini, but there is no way the United supporters will want to see their team playing the way Bolton play - even if it's another 50 years before they win a trophy

The information he'll get out of BSA, is and will be a fraction of what he got out of Roeder. FFS hasn't had much of a hands on role lately with his hospital carry on, so this is complete and utter pish, by someone with pages to fill.

The direct quotes mean absolutely nothing neither. If you choose to believe what I say, good for you, if not fine I'm not arsed but it's getting a bit dull, see what happens in a few weeks time. Parky and I have heard the same thing from two credible sources, only mine is more solid.

Rest assured I'll be quoting about 50 posts with a :wub: smiley underneath each one in a few weeks.

He was only posting stuff relevant to the topic Stevie. No need to get so defensive. Most of Ritchie's posts are just articles anyway.

Edited by alex

Aye they always relied on the towering, imposing presence of Ricardo Gardiner at left back did Bolton.

The only stories you can 100% trust re: Allardyce now are from his mate Shaun Custis of The Sun, who has stood by him through thick and thin and is also a huge toon fan.

Those fans who have had a little wager on Sam Allardyce being the next manager of Newcastle United know what they have to do today - tear up their betting slip.

The bookies make Big Sam third favourite behind Martin O'Neill and Roberto Mancini, but there is no way the United supporters will want to see their team playing the way Bolton play - even if it's another 50 years before they win a trophy

The information he'll get out of BSA, is and will be a fraction of what he got out of Roeder. FFS hasn't had much of a hands on role lately with his hospital carry on, so this is complete and utter pish, by someone with pages to fill.

The direct quotes mean absolutely nothing neither. If you choose to believe what I say, good for you, if not fine I'm not arsed but it's getting a bit dull, see what happens in a few weeks time. Parky and I have heard the same thing from two credible sources, only mine is more solid.

Rest assured I'll be quoting about 50 posts with a :wub: smiley underneath each one in a few weeks.

Is that in response to my post? :razz:

Gemmill had heard that and asked if anyone else had heard similar to I posted what Anal O had put. As for believing anything he says I dont think many of us do, however lets be realistic whilst we know 90% of what we read is bull all these forums still use these reports, true or not, to speculate and discuss.

Guest stevieintoon

He was only posting stuff relevant to the topic Stevie. No need to get so defensive. Most of Ritchie's posts are just articles anyway.

I'm not only on about him Alex.

Is it your ambition in life to come on a message board and declare, 'I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU! LOOK AT ME EVERYONE, I TOLD YOU!' ????????

Feel free to use the wanker sign for me now, if you wish.

Guest stevieintoon

Is it your ambition in life to come on a message board and declare, 'I TOLD YOU! I TOLD YOU! LOOK AT ME EVERYONE, I TOLD YOU!' ????????

:razz:

As the posters have declared below, your colleague did see an article on this height business. However, I think the article was from Anal Orifice so take as much credence as you normally would!

Guest stevieintoon

Stevie man, have a word. Anyway, I've heard your source is Craig Hope, who, if that video interview with Roeder is anything to go by, is borderline retarded. :wub:

He's not my source. However, I'd hardly say he's retarded anyway, 24 year old with a job and a salary many of us could only dream of. I wish I was that much of a retard.

Edited by stevieintoon

Rest assured I'll be quoting about 50 posts with a :razz: smiley underneath each one in a few weeks.

:(

:wub: Accepted without reservation :(