Anyone see?

Guest alex

Guest alex

First one, last night about Jimi Hendrix. Loads of stuff about other bands around at the time too and how they influenced him - people like The Who, Cream, The Stones and The Beatles. Also a bit of blues from the likes of Howlin' Wolf. Quality.

Missed the first one <_<

The second sounds good aswell

White Light, White Heat: Art Rock. Episode 2.

A journey through the history of rock music. Rock enters its second age to a psychedelic soundtrack and freaky lightshow. Inspired by Andy Warhol-managed New York band The Velvet Underground, music attempted to be taken seriously as an art form for the first time. This episode explores how rock became synonymous with theatricality and moved on from boy meets girl to boy meets ideas and beyond. Featuring a wealth of rare performance footage of David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed and Roxy Music.

(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)

wanted to watch this, but I was out, mate said it was a bit too much talking head and not enough tapping foot

wanted to watch this, but I was out, mate said it was a bit too much talking head and not enough tapping foot

I wouldn't agree. The majoirty of the spiel was from the people who were their and experienced it intercut with a fair amount of footage.

Guest alex

It's funny how when he played that legendary set at Woodstock no fucker was there to see it because the weather was so bad and had been for days. You imagine a huge sea of people going beserk.

I only watched the first half hour. Seemed to me that rather than concentrating on Hendrix's genius they just listed his influences as if he was a hack. I was enjoying it though (the story of him taking Blonde on Blonde to a disco was one I hadn't heard ;) ) and expect they went on to give him more credit...but I had to turn it off.

I only watched the first half hour. Seemed to me that rather than concentrating on Hendrix's genius they just listed his influences as if he was a hack. I was enjoying it though (the story of him taking Blonde on Blonde to a disco was one I hadn't heard ;) ) and expect they went on to give him more credit...but I had to turn it off.

Probablt turned off at the wrong time marra. After that they began concentrating on him playing Clapton off his own stage, covering Sgt. Peppers at a concert only a day after it was released etc.

Probably overrated,as when he burst on the scene it was something different and he had the name and the image to go with the guitar,when you think of the guitarist's now,then what Hendrix did doesn't sound or look as good as it did.

Guest alex

Probably overrated,as when he burst on the scene it was something different and he had the name and the image to go with the guitar,when you think of the guitarist's now,then what Hendrix did doesn't sound or look as good as it did.

That's the point though, he changed the sound of rock with what he did. He blew people away at the time.

Guitars are easier to play these days believe,

Most guitarists considered good these days have had a shit load of lessons (Shinton :D ) and practiced and studied for years,

They all use high gain overdrive that hides all the mistakes they make,

I use a Low gain Fender Deville for mine, a proper amp for proper players :lol:

and thats why i know hendrix was amazing for the gear he had, especially because his guitar was an upside down strat, most people couldnt solo past the start of the heel on that fucker ;)

twas all about Hendrix - very good but TOTALLY unbalanced

I'm still trying to find out where he lived on Tyneside .................

• 3 years later...

I only watched the first half hour. Seemed to me that rather than concentrating on Hendrix's genius they just listed his influences as if he was a hack. I was enjoying it though (the story of him taking Blonde on Blonde to a disco was one I hadn't heard :lol: ) and expect they went on to give him more credit...but I had to turn it off.

1: They wouldn't be playing the way they do if it wasn't for Hendrix, he was the most influential rock musician ever, easily. Even the likes of Miles Davis changed their sound after hearing Hendrix, going on to release Bitches Brew after seeing footage of him.

2: What Hendrix did does sound as good as it was, which was absolute genius basically. His studio albums rate as some of the best rock records of all-time and this is as a whole, not just for the guitar work. The reason he will be remembered is for the outstanding quality of his albums: the songwriting, production and general musicianship is staggering and probably won't be bettered by a rock band.

I only watched the first half hour. Seemed to me that rather than concentrating on Hendrix's genius they just listed his influences as if he was a hack. I was enjoying it though (the story of him taking Blonde on Blonde to a disco was one I hadn't heard :icon_lol: ) and expect they went on to give him more credit...but I had to turn it off.

Meh, just jealous us Brits made him :lol: