What Freddy Shepherd can learn from....

jonnyhall

Source: Click Here

What Freddy Shepherd can learn from David Dein

On the eve of the Stamford Bridge game, Arsene Wenger’s 500th game as boss, David Dein declared Wenger to be the greatest signing in Arsenal’s history.

Probably true, but it was easy to feel that while slapping Wenger on the back with one hand he was giving himself a mighty big pat with the other. However seeing as it was Dein who brought Wenger over from Japan and seeing that Wenger has done a fairly decent job in the intervening nine years, the comment seemed fair enough.

Yesterday, Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd reacted to the signing of Michael Owen by saying: “Bringing Michael here will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle."

Graeme Souness added: "It will be a great achievement if we sign Michael."

Now, other than watching Newcastle like I do any other Premiership team, living in the city for four months this year and going to a few games at St James, I’m not really qualified to write about Newcastle.

But I can’t help feeling those comments tell the story of a club brimming full of under achievement and ineptitude from the boardroom down to the pitch. And it is circumstances that are only propped up only by the admirably unswerving loyalty of the fans.

When Shepherd spoke of his proudest moments he spoke not of great victories over the likes of Barcelona or Manchester United nor of watching the magnificent attacking outfit Kevin Keegan assembled so nearly achieved the ultimate prize with.

Instead he spoke of two occasions where Newcastle had used their endless millions (accrued far more thanks to the loyalty of the Toon Army and individual’s extraordinary wealth than prudent transfer wheeling and dealing) to push their way to the front of the transfer queue. For Shearer they had to compete with Man United.

But frankly even a chairman with a thing for sitting in Dutch brothels slagging off his own fans for buying the team shirt could have persuaded Alan Shearer to leave the sinking Blackburn ship to return to the club he had always adored.

And for Owen, only the most unlikely of revelations in tomorrow’s press conference can distract from the fact that he ended up at St James’ by default – as a result of his perfectly respectable decision to prioritise his place at next summer’s World Cup way ahead of immedaite desires such as league titles and Champions League glory.

From what I can figure, Newcastle could offer Owen three things. Great supporters, his old England pal Alan Shearer and a regular starting place. The supporters are there in spite of the club, Shearer is to a large extent still about because he’s a supporter at heart and the starting place is really an indictment of Newcastle’s current crop.

Other than that, I can’t see on what other basis Shepherd and Souness could have sold the club and therefore on what basis they can rabbit on about their great “achievement.”

Just look at what the official web site has to say: “The fee paid to Real Madrid for the 25-year-old tops that paid to Blackburn Rovers for Alan Shearer in the summer of 1996 and has caused huge excitement on Tynesdie.”

In those deluded words of PR guff the fact that Newcastle were the only suckers prepared to stump up the cash for Owen is in itself apparently a cause for huge excitement. It’s as if the transfer and “achievement” would somehow have been diluted had Newcastle actually managed to negotiate a bargain. (That Madrid paid peanuts in the first place, that Owen was no longer needed in Spain and that Newcastle were the only club genuinely interested at least made a bargain a possibility).

Of course the club will milk it for all it’s worth. Owen will be paraded on the pitch tomorrow in front of a packed Sir John Hall stand and though they might not say it, I wonder if Shepherd and Souness will feel the pressure they were under after an abysmal start to the season has been lifted by their “achievement.”

And why shouldn’t they? Even the excellent unofficial nufc.com, which I’m loathe to have a pop at, appeared caught up in the hyperbole. They said: “Meanwhile the Chairman can hold his head high in the city after being able to not only broker a deal with Real Madrid - but also to persuade the player to sign on the dotted line in a four-year deal rather a loan.”

Don’t get me wrong, Newcastle should be pleased to have signed Owen and the supporters have every right to be excited. And please don’t think of me as a massive David Dein supporter, because I am not. But when talking about “proudest moments” and “achievements” those in charge on Tyneside would be well advised to cast a glance towards his example.

load of rubbish or not? i cant be bothered to read it all.

Edited by jonnyhall

Seems spot on to me. Basically saying that Owen only arrived there on default and sacrificed winning things to come here.

Although I expect a anti-newcastle bias style post pretty soon.

Seems spot on to me.  Basically saying that Owen only arrived there on default and sacrificed winning things to come here.

Although I expect a anti-newcastle bias style post pretty soon.

23933[/snapback]

Aye, it seems fair.

Especially this bit:

"When Shepherd spoke of his proudest moments he spoke not of great victories over the likes of Barcelona or Manchester United nor of watching the magnificent attacking outfit Kevin Keegan assembled so nearly achieved the ultimate prize with.

Instead he spoke of two occasions where Newcastle had used their endless millions (accrued far more thanks to the loyalty of the Toon Army and individual’s extraordinary wealth than prudent transfer wheeling and dealing) to push their way to the front of the transfer queue."

Other than that, I can’t see on what other basis Shepherd and Souness could have sold the club and therefore on what basis they can rabbit on about their great “achievement.”

Just look at what the official web site has to say: “The fee paid to Real Madrid for the 25-year-old tops that paid to Blackburn Rovers for Alan Shearer in the summer of 1996 and has caused huge excitement on Tynesdie.”

In those deluded words of PR guff the fact that Newcastle were the only suckers prepared to stump up the cash for Owen is in itself apparently a cause for huge excitement. It’s as if the transfer and “achievement” would somehow have been diluted had Newcastle actually managed to negotiate a bargain. (That Madrid paid peanuts in the first place, that Owen was no longer needed in Spain and that Newcastle were the only club genuinely interested at least made a bargain a possibility).

A good and, for an outsider particularly, well-observed piece. Without wanting to bring things down too much, I honestly believe we would've gone for Owen ahead of a fictional willing player, who would've cost £14m and been 10% better.

A good and, for an outsider particularly, well-observed piece. Without wanting to bring things down too much, I honestly believe we would've gone for Owen ahead of a fictional willing player, who would've cost £14m and been 10% better.

24054[/snapback]

Just as well. Fictional players don't score goals. :fuk:

Fictional Player?

24085[/snapback]

I couldn't be bothered to spend 10 minutes thinking of someone who could fit the bill after a 15 page debate on the subject. My drift was easy enough to get, wasn't it? I've invented an extremely classy, but reletively unknown, forward from Schalke 04. He's Dutch, his name is Joop Leemans. The only real downside is a faintly disturbing penchant he possesses for leather trousers.