Does your car fill with petrol

Renton

I'm getting an electric this month, difference is the car I'm getting ticks all the boxes for battery life and reliability and has done for a few years so the statistics suggest I'd be pretty unlucky if I have bother.

It isn't a fucking musk monstrosity either.

Edited by Howmanheyman

11 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The 2 can co-exist. 

When working, it does 0-60 in 4s, 320miles on a charge, Bose sound system, Netflix on the TV, integrated Spotify, 8 cameras etc.

The car is mint. Its build quality is fucking hopeless though. 

Other than that, how was the show, Mrs. Lincoln?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

How will it affect my pension? 

Salary sacrifice takes the car payment off your take home pay, so you pay much less in pension contributions.

My pension is due at 68 and I might be dead before then so fuck it

On 14/09/2024 at 20:12, Kid Dynamite said:

I've got an 8 year old daughter! 30mins at the rapid charger is far easier when she has a telly to watch

Doesn't that drain the battery as you're charging? 

On 14/09/2024 at 20:11, Kid Dynamite said:

Salary sacrifice takes the car payment off your take home pay, so you pay much less in pension contributions.

I don't know if this is right. Unless it affects my pensionable income then it shouldn't make any difference. 

On 14/09/2024 at 17:31, Gemmill said:

They're starting a scheme up at work for salary sacrifice on electric cars. I'll have a look when they publish the monthly costs, but Tesla can fuck right off. 

We've got that scheme at work and I did consider it when I joined, but the monthly costs put me off.

For anything half decent you were looking at £600 per month for starters, and that was factory standard with solid white paint. A Tesla, you were looking at starting price of £800pcm. In the end I bought a 18mth old A-Class for half the price.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

We've got that scheme at work and I did consider it when I joined, but the monthly costs put me off.

For anything half decent you were looking at £600 per month for starters, and that was factory standard with solid white paint. A Tesla, you were looking at starting price of £800pcm. In the end I bought a 18mth old A-Class for half the price.  

Fucking hell. No way you're going to recoup the fuel cost on those prices even if you drive 24/7.

Easy for me to say not being able to afford it but Tesla can get fucked given their cunt of an owner. 

• Like 2

On 14/09/2024 at 20:11, Kid Dynamite said:

Nah, salary sacrifice is deducted before tax so you're paying less income tax. Your point about the pension contributions stands though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given the size of the battery a small screen playing is negligble.

I thought Teslas had 12" screens?

Now, Irishmen might be built different, but I always thought 12" was pretty big?

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I thought Teslas had 12" screens?

Now, Irishmen might be built different, but I always thought 12" was pretty big?

The car has a 75kwh battery. A screen uses maybe 10 watts max so you could basically run the screen for nearly a year from that battery.

Maybe ask your joiner if he knows any decent sparks to explain it to you.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The car has a 75kwh battery. A screen uses maybe 10 watts max so you could basically run the screen for nearly a year from that battery.

Maybe ask your joiner if he knows any decent sparks to explain it to you.

200.gif?cid=7ad0e14c305bkf7ooz1d60200bm1

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Fucking hell. No way you're going to recoup the fuel cost on those prices even if you drive 24/7.

Easy for me to say not being able to afford it but Tesla can get fucked given their cunt of an owner. 

The problem is they bundle it 'as a service' so you're not only paying monthly for the car itself, you're paying for the insurance, tax, servicing, tyre replacement, MOT, etc. I'm pretty certain the only thing I would have needed to have paid on top of that for was fuel but even so, fuck that! I'd rather have £400 in my wallet and a free choice of what car to go for. In the end I even gave the hybrids a miss and went for a petrol engine.

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I don't know if this is right. Unless it affects my pensionable income then it shouldn't make any difference. 

Salary sacrifice does affect your pensionable income. Are you confusing this with salary deduction? 

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Nah, salary sacrifice is deducted before tax so you're paying less income tax. Your point about the pension contributions stands though.

If your pension contributions are 10% of your income, and your income is suddenly £600pm less, then you are contributing £60pm less towards your pension. 

If your annual salary sacrifice is enough to drop you into a lower pension bracket, then the impact on your pension can rack up over a 3 year lease 

Edited by Kid Dynamite

25 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If your pension contributions are 10% of your income, and your income is suddenly £600pm less, then you are contributing £60pm less towards your pension. 

If your annual salary sacrifice is enough to drop you into a lower pension bracket, then the impact on your pension can rack up over a 3 year lease 

But bear in mind that as an NHS worker your pension is relatively gold plated so you really want to maximise that benefit to make up for all theother shit you have to contend with. And don't think "I'll be dead by then anyway", given you're a straight edge warror you might be talking about 40 years of lost benefits! 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you about that.

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you about that.

Oh aye :lol: I did a piss poor job of explaining what I meant. I know you save on tax and NI.

I've had a couple of lease cars now so probably time to pack it in before I murder my pension. The Tesla cost me £400pm for 4 years though, and with free charging at work (until last month) it was cheaper all in than buying a second hand Polo.

Im probably going to take out a loan and buy a nearly new Focus in December when the Tesla goes back. £15k should get me one of these with <20k on the clock. Slow AF but fairly economical 

IMG_3046.thumb.jpeg.72ac194ed214211b9bdac16a6a0caca6.jpeg

IMG_3047.thumb.jpeg.f640f93222a8f5e9d1351dd1493d1aac.jpeg