Does your car fill with petrol

Renton

30 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

A question for the petrol heads about car servicing.

We have two cars - both 2013. I still get them serviced every year but they are just about classed as bangers these days so is it worth just binning off the servicing and then just let the MOT tell me what is wrong with them ?

At least get the oil service done yearly

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

A question for the petrol heads about car servicing.

We have two cars - both 2013. I still get them serviced every year but they are just about classed as bangers these days so is it worth just binning off the servicing and then just let the MOT tell me what is wrong with them ?

Kind of depends how you want to die?

Either from failing brakes or maybe CO2 poisoning?

MOT is merely a roadworthy inspection but they aren't going to look at how long before you need to replace your brake pads/shoe/discs or the state of the tie rod ends in your steering, which could be worn but still within the tolerance allowed for "roadworthiness".
Also, are they really bangers? Just because they are 11 years old, doesn't make them a banger. Good maintenance will give something worthwhile a much longer life and personally, I'd much rather be driving a 60s or early 70s Merc than most of the badly made cars of today and a well maintained one of those will still be going without trouble.

We just want new things all the time now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Kind of depends how you want to die?

Either from failing brakes or maybe CO2 poisoning?

MOT is merely a roadworthy inspection but they aren't going to look at how long before you need to replace your brake pads/shoe/discs or the state of the tie rod ends in your steering, which could be worn but still within the tolerance allowed for "roadworthiness".
Also, are they really bangers? Just because they are 11 years old, doesn't make them a banger. Good maintenance will give something worthwhile a much longer life and personally, I'd much rather be driving a 60s or early 70s Merc than most of the badly made cars of today and a well maintained one of those will still be going without trouble.

We just want new things all the time now.

Aye, id much rather maintain something than buy new. Cars do not bother me one bit. They are a means of getting me from A to B. I look after my car pretty well but the Mrs is terrible. Looks like a rubbish skip inside and there is not one thought of getting paintwork fixed when she (regularly) scrapes her car. They aren't bangers really but we intend to just run them until they die. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye, id much rather maintain something than buy new. Cars do not bother me one bit. They are a means of getting me from A to B. I look after my car pretty well but the Mrs is terrible. Looks like a rubbish skip inside and there is not one thought of getting paintwork fixed when she (regularly) scrapes her car. They aren't bangers really but we intend to just run them until they die. 

I bet she doesn't treat the house like that? Scrapes and stuff lead to rust, every scrape removes not just paint but the galvanised coating on the sheet metal. Which just lessens the life but if she isn't going to chance then yes, it's not worth the effort.
And I get running them until they die but regular maintenance will just mean that is a lot further away, than if you just don't bother, so for the sake of what, a few hundred quid each year, that's a lot cheaper than the tens of thousands a new one will cost.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I’ve just bought this. No heated steering wheel this time but I’ll have to make do. Still doing my best to save the world unlike you filthy Ford Fiesta owners.

IMG_0934.jpeg

Like it. Black edition. Once you go black you can't go back, I think some genius poster on here once said. :)

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Pensionermobile. 

This 👆 The number of them tootling along at 45/50 on the 697 of late is ridiculous, when I pass them it's invariably some hunched over the wheel old cunt.

AND Then, the cunts doing 45 break into a gentle corner, look mate, if my Kuga can comfortably round this bend at 60 your fucking Merc can do it at over 40. Doddery cunt cars basically.

17 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

This 👆 The number of them tootling along at 45/50 on the 697 of late is ridiculous, when I pass them it's invariably some hunched over the wheel old cunt.

AND Then, the cunts doing 45 break into a gentle corner, look mate, if my Kuga can comfortably round this bend at 60 your fucking Merc can do it at over 40. Doddery cunt cars basically.

I can’t believe a literal pensioner who drives a fuckin FORD KUGA is saying this :lol:

Next time am passing your Lauderdale retirement trailer park am swinging in for a burn up, then we’re going to the Golden Bannock for a gallon of beer as an apéritif…..then we’ll see the doddery cunt is ya cunt 🫵😆

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 6

43 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I can’t believe a literal pensioner who drives a fuckin FORD KUGA* is saying this :lol:

Next time am passing your Lauderdale retirement trailer park am swinging in for a burn up, then we’re going to the Golden Bannock for a gallon of beer as an apéritif…..then we’ll see the doddery cunt is ya cunt 🫵😆

*Vignale

As for the burn up, the "trailer park" has a 10 mph limit, should suit your codgecoach driving to a T

Edited by Toonpack

9 hours ago, ewerk said:

I’ve just bought this. No heated steering wheel this time but I’ll have to make do. Still doing my best to save the world unlike you filthy Ford Fiesta owners.

IMG_0934.jpeg

Nice, but I imagine the payments could get you a mortgage on a small house?