Does your car fill with petrol

Renton

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye sorry man, sounds like a tough spot. I hope your wife is OK from the fall. Is there such a scheme where you can claim as a full time carer. I assume even if there is that it's pitifully underfunded and not something a family can live on? 

There's a thing we've applied for, on it's own it's not enough for normal living but we might just be able to get by. Expecting some bullshit from the DWP because they've tried it on once before when she moved from DLA to PIP, (that was a very testing SIX MONTHS till we won an independent appeal) and also just because we're a fucked up country with priorities all over the place. We'll get there, the mortgage is right down, I'll get a FT job if it gets crunch time but I've got leeway with some redundancy/bonus money still in the bank. :good: 

• Like 7

Anyway, getting back on topic, quite looking forward to getting this new car but know for a fact I'll be tearing my hair out working out apps and tariffs as I've a feeling my smart meter won't be compatible with octopus and their EV friendly tariff. You need the charger's app, the car app and your energy provider's app. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

• Haha 3

Does the EV friendly tariff kick in at a certain time? If so then all you need to do is set the charging times in your car's app. You could do it in the charger's app but you'll only need to do it in one or the other.

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Anyway, getting back on topic, quite looking forward to getting this new car but know for a fact I'll be tearing my hair out working out apps and tariffs as I've a feeling my smart meter won't be compatible with octopus and their EV friendly tariff. You need the charger's app, the car app and your energy provider's app. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

I feel your pain. Last week I had the usual shit trying to get into SJP. Downloaded my ticket into my wallet, verified it was there, then when I got to the turnstyle it had disappeared and I couldn't get in. Couldn't find it anywhere, but had the e-mail etc as proof. They used to let you in under such circumstances but not now apparently. They couldn't find it either, but they found last seasons Man city ticket archived and insisted I was trying to pull a fast one. Told me to go the box office, told them that would mean missing the first half of the match and told them to fuck off. Massive queue forming behind me. Eventually they called over some tech savvy person who found the ticket (don't know how, suspect Google had incorrectly archived it, but I still can't see it) and I got in, to ironic cheers behind me.

I mean I know I'm getting on a bit, but why the fuck does it have to be like this? I thought technology would get easier to use as we enter this new dystopian age but NOTHING FUCKING WORKS as it should do. Take my fucking "smart" meters. I'm personally finding a lot of apps are now worse at communicating than they used to be. There's empirical evidence Google is worse at searching than it used to be but they don't give a fuck as they have a monopoly, much like NUFC has. So aye, good luck.

ian hecox fist shake GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Does the EV friendly tariff kick in at a certain time? If so then all you need to do is set the charging times in your car's app. You could do it in the charger's app but you'll only need to do it in one or the other.

I think the main problem would be marrying up the smart meter with the car with the provider. As part of the process of setting the EV smart tariff up you must plug the car in to charge so they know your smart meter is compatible? Mine probably isn't so if it isn't you can't get the super cheap rate at 23.30. Maybe they don't want any Tom, Dick and Harry having cheap electricity for six hours if they haven't got an EV? Also, if the energy is cheaper for them during the day they'll charge your car then at the cheap rate instead, (obviously you'd have to be plugged in) so that's probably where the smart bit comes into play? I'd be happy just getting the cheap rate and I'll schedule the charging myself.

Renton's story sounds like when I get called to my mam's house cos something tech related won't work, I get there and do exactly what I've been telling her to do on the phone, and it works. 

"Well it wasn't doing that for ME?!" 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I feel your pain. Last week I had the usual shit trying to get into SJP. Downloaded my ticket into my wallet, verified it was there, then when I got to the turnstyle it had disappeared and I couldn't get in. Couldn't find it anywhere, but had the e-mail etc as proof. They used to let you in under such circumstances but not now apparently. They couldn't find it either, but they found last seasons Man city ticket archived and insisted I was trying to pull a fast one. Told me to go the box office, told them that would mean missing the first half of the match and told them to fuck off. Massive queue forming behind me. Eventually they called over some tech savvy person who found the ticket (don't know how, suspect Google had incorrectly archived it, but I still can't see it) and I got in, to ironic cheers behind me.

I mean I know I'm getting on a bit, but why the fuck does it have to be like this? I thought technology would get easier to use as we enter this new dystopian age but NOTHING FUCKING WORKS as it should do. Take my fucking "smart" meters. I'm personally finding a lot of apps are now worse at communicating than they used to be. There's empirical evidence Google is worse at searching than it used to be but they don't give a fuck as they have a monopoly, much like NUFC has. So aye, good luck.

ian hecox fist shake GIF

Like last year v Villa when I had PL's ticket. Ended up watching the game in town when I'd paid the money for a ticket. It's absolutely shit and just one of the reasons I'll never go back again.

• Like 2

You also have to just look at the queues as well. I did get into the AC Milan game but the queues are now a joke where once they weren't. Twice I've seen it for myself and you hear about it from people with season tickets so what it comes down to is, is it better now? I'd say absolutely not and I don't think I'll be alone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

FYP

I mean no like. I'm working in an industry which relies on tech so I'm probably more advanced than the average person, but in this case something went wrong and I still don't know what.

You can ask the toontastic posse, you could rock up to SJP 5 mins before kick off and get in, last drinks at the Trent were ordered at 2.50. My advice now, with the queues insanely longer than they were, is give yourself at least half an hour to get in. And this isn't to mention the huge hassle it is to transfer tickets between people, especially from a child to an adult. Progress. It's fucking shit. 

Edited by Renton
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think the main problem would be marrying up the smart meter with the car with the provider. As part of the process of setting the EV smart tariff up you must plug the car in to charge so they know your smart meter is compatible? Mine probably isn't so if it isn't you can't get the super cheap rate at 23.30. Maybe they don't want any Tom, Dick and Harry having cheap electricity for six hours if they haven't got an EV? Also, if the energy is cheaper for them during the day they'll charge your car then at the cheap rate instead, (obviously you'd have to be plugged in) so that's probably where the smart bit comes into play? I'd be happy just getting the cheap rate and I'll schedule the charging myself.

I don't have a smart meter so haven't a clue about any of that.

44 minutes ago, Renton said:

I mean no like. I'm working in an industry which relies on tech so I'm probably more advanced than the average person, but in this case something went wrong and I still don't know what.

You can ask the toontastic posse, you could rock up to SJP 5 mins before kick off and get in, last drinks at the Trent were ordered at 2.50. My advice now, with the queues insanely longer than they were, is give yourself at least half an hour to get in. And this isn't to mention the huge hassle it is to transfer tickets between people, especially from a child to an adult. Progress. It's fucking shit. 

Yeah, is my experience too. Used to just walk in from the boozer 10 minutes before kick off with a paper ticket. Need a half hour buffer these days if you want to catch the flag display. Also the crowding around the east stand/strawberry corner has been v uncomfortable at times and almost impossible to form proper queues because the crowds are so big so people just walking to the front of a queue without realising, people who’ve been waiting ages to get in kicking off etc 

• Like 1