FAO Leazes Mag

Correct about not needing defenders last summer to be fair. And about Dave being from Northern Ireland. And about Steven Taylor being a future England Captain.

You're wrong. About everything. Fact.

I'm right about everything. Fact.

We lost last night, and over the 2 legs, to a good team who kept possession, passed and moved better than us, consequently outplaying us. Fact.

Terrible this qualifying for europe regularly over the span of a decade, all those 80-odd clubs have that haven't qualified must be laughing like fuck at us...... <_<

Terrible this qualifying for europe regularly over the span of a decade, all those 80-odd clubs have that haven't qualified must be laughing like fuck at us...... <_<

They probably are as we were an embarrassment last night.

Leazes, do you work for the club? Serious question.

When a taxi driver the other day was telling me about how many drivers refuse to take fares from Freddy's gang of obnoxious mates and hangers on when they're swanning around the toon, I did wonder if any of them ever posted on boards...

Terrible this qualifying for europe regularly over the span of a decade, all those 80-odd clubs have that haven't qualified must be laughing like fuck at us...... :D

lets see now.........all the clubs that don't play in europe are laughing at us, right ?

Do you think manu are embarrassing when they are knocked out of the Champions League ???? I don't expect you to understand this mind ........ :lol:

Leazes, do you work for the club? Serious question.

When a taxi driver the other day was telling me about how many drivers refuse to take fares from Freddy's gang of obnoxious mates and hangers on when they're swanning around the toon, I did wonder if any of them ever posted on boards...

Taxi for Blue Star :lol:

Terrible this qualifying for europe regularly over the span of a decade, all those 80-odd clubs have that haven't qualified must be laughing like fuck at us...... :D

lets see now.........all the clubs that don't play in europe are laughing at us, right ?

Do you think manu are embarrassing when they are knocked out of the Champions League ???? I don't expect you to understand this mind ........ :lol:

I know what you are saying, BUT, should we measure our standards on the failures of others? If Liverpool finish third and fail to get an automatic champions league place should they be thankful as the rest of the league finished below them? If (or rather when) west ham get relegated should they accept it as at least they arnt in the 2nd division?

Just because we have been in a worst predicament doesnt mean our current state is acceptable?

If you aim for average, you get average at best.

As for being embarrassed. Yes it is. After we promise so much in the first leg, this performance was embarrassing. The negative approach (again) is embarrassing. We were completely played off the park from front to back.

I know what you are saying, BUT, should we measure our standards on the failures of others? If Liverpool finish third and fail to get an automatic champions league place should they be thankful as the rest of the league finished below them? If (or rather when) west ham get relegated should they accept it as at least they arnt in the 2nd division?

Just because we have been in a worst predicament doesnt mean our current state is acceptable?

As for being embarrassed. Yes it is. After we promise so much in the first leg, this performance was embarrassing. The negative approach (again) is embarrassing. We were completely played off the park from front to back.

my point - which I realise that you get, along with one or two others - but Baggio and numerous others won't - is that I doubt very much that supporters of the clubs who never qualify for europe, along with supporters of those who have qualified but not so often as us, will be laughing. If they are its only to wind people up on message boards. I know that when we had shit directors and spent years getting nowhere near europe I didn;t laugh at clubs who were obviously superior to us - I mean, only an idiot does that and only a bigger idiot thinks they do.

In fact, I meet many supporters of other clubs and almost to a man - apart from the fuckwits who "support" certain other clubs that you would expect to spout bullshit - they are not "embarrassed" or "laughing at us " at all, they wanted us to go through last night, and all the other rounds too, and they wish their own clubs were able to compete in europe .....

So far as last night is concerned, I think that I could have picked a team that would have scored a goal, instead being outplayed and outpassed, but that is only opinion. One point also worth mentioning, is that, once AGAIN, you could say that the players who play for Newcastle United didn't turn out for a big game. Now who do you blame for that, other than the players ........

Well, aye you are right, in that both fans and players of teams not in europe, would rather be in europe to get knocked out in the first place.

But on the game, while I blame the players on the pitch for defensive errors, passing being all over, lack of movement etc, I blame our lineup and tactics on GR.

When it was clear as anything that we had to attack them, why was Milner left on the bench? It took him 3/4 of the game to push Dyer inside where he would clearly have been more effective. Huntington was getting raped, why not swap him and Taylor over?

The fact he said we could go there and not need to score against a side known for their attacking flair says it all for me.

Well, aye you are right, in that both fans and players of teams not in europe, would rather be in europe to get knocked out in the first place.

But on the game, while I blame the players on the pitch for defensive errors, passing being all over, lack of movement etc, I blame our lineup and tactics on GR.

When it was clear as anything that we had to attack them, why was Milner left on the bench? It took him 3/4 of the game to push Dyer inside where he would clearly have been more effective. Huntington was getting raped, why not swap him and Taylor over?

The fact he said we could go there and not need to score against a side known for their attacking flair says it all for me.

All of those areas you name, are where I would have changed the line up from the start, I've posted this elsewhere. And my opinion on roeders comments, surprising because he hasn't previously been quoted in the press as being so negative.

I always thought we needed to score a goal, not so much because of our own defensive performance, but simply because I think they are a good side and could score goals against anyone. They are athletic, pacy and good in possession and could win this cup.

You could say we were unlucky conceding the penalty in the first leg, you could say Martins should have scored. You could say last night if Dyer had looked up it would have been 1-1 instead of 0-2, such is football. These moments define and decide games, but they are a good side.

They have spent a hell of a lot less than us but got the right manager in, if it wasn't for the Newcastle fans, or players, or anyone else but the board of course we would have sacked Robson at the right time and got the right manager in.

to be fair to Leazes....

I had a lunch today with the head of procurement and the operations manager of a company who spend a fuckton of money with my company. They are both quite keen on using their position to wind me up, I of course have to take it in good humour because of the aforementioned fuckton of money.

One supports Charlton, one supports West Ham. Yesterdays match came up, and I thought they were going to slaughter me. I launched into a typical Newcastle, never win anything useless overpaid etc etc, to which they both told me to shut up as they would much rather be in my position than theirs. Especially the West Ham supporter.

I asked them what they thought of the Fat One and they said a bit of a tosser but he splashes the cash, they didnt think we were anywhere near a laughing stock, even though they were amused by us not having won anything for years. They did think the fans dont know when they are well off

they both said we were marginally bigger than Spurs who were much bigger than Sunderland.

The westham bloke thought Roeder got shagged by the board at West Ham over strikers and didnt really blame him for the relegation as much as the board, he didnt hate him but doesnt rate him either. He rates him a lot higher than Curbishley though.

Hardly a definitive survey like, but there you go

my point - which I realise that you get, along with one or two others - but Baggio and numerous others won't - is that I doubt very much that supporters of the clubs who never qualify for europe, along with supporters of those who have qualified but not so often as us, will be laughing. If they are its only to wind people up on message boards. I know that when we had shit directors and spent years getting nowhere near europe I didn;t laugh at clubs who were obviously superior to us - I mean, only an idiot does that and only a bigger idiot thinks they do.

In fact, I meet many supporters of other clubs and almost to a man - apart from the fuckwits who "support" certain other clubs that you would expect to spout bullshit - they are not "embarrassed" or "laughing at us " at all, they wanted us to go through last night, and all the other rounds too, and they wish their own clubs were able to compete in europe .....

So far as last night is concerned, I think that I could have picked a team that would have scored a goal, instead being outplayed and outpassed, but that is only opinion. One point also worth mentioning, is that, once AGAIN, you could say that the players who play for Newcastle United didn't turn out for a big game. Now who do you blame for that, other than the players ........

This is what annoys the fuck out of me your "We should be happy we aren't worse". Fucking bastard no. We pump fucking millions into this fucking club and all we get is shit and excuses. I am never going to be happy being better than others until we are better than everyone. Now I can be happy with performances but being lower down the leageue than others like when SBR had us finishing just outside the top 4. But our performances are shite. Why the fuck should I be happy with that. Oh I forgot we are the fifth best shite.

to be fair to Leazes....

I had a lunch today with the head of procurement and the operations manager of a company who spend a fuckton of money with my company. They are both quite keen on using their position to wind me up, I of course have to take it in good humour because of the aforementioned fuckton of money.

One supports Charlton, one supports West Ham. Yesterdays match came up, and I thought they were going to slaughter me. I launched into a typical Newcastle, never win anything useless overpaid etc etc, to which they both told me to shut up as they would much rather be in my position than theirs. Especially the West Ham supporter.

I asked them what they thought of the Fat One and they said a bit of a tosser but he splashes the cash, they didnt think we were anywhere near a laughing stock, even though they were amused by us not having won anything for years. They did think the fans dont know when they are well off

they both said we were marginally bigger than Spurs who were much bigger than Sunderland.

The westham bloke thought Roeder got shagged by the board at West Ham over strikers and didnt really blame him for the relegation as much as the board, he didnt hate him but doesnt rate him either. He rates him a lot higher than Curbishley though.

Hardly a definitive survey like, but there you go

That is pretty much how I find the majority of "outsiders" too. On ALL of those points, apart from the yids being bigger [potentially] than the mackems. I don't expect anyone to take any notice though ....... :lol:

Nice to see a sensible post on here for a change, rather than a fuckwitted knee jerk over-reaction and inability to see the overall picture.

This is what annoys the fuck out of me your "We should be happy we aren't worse". Fucking bastard no. We pump fucking millions into this fucking club and all we get is shit and excuses. I am never going to be happy being better than others until we are better than everyone. Now I can be happy with performances but being lower down the leageue than others like when SBR had us finishing just outside the top 4. But our performances are shite. Why the fuck should I be happy with that. Oh I forgot we are the fifth best shite.

Firstly, I've never said I am "happy". Only pointed out that we have done fairly well, and moved forward a lot under the current board, and it would be very easy to end up with a board far worse than what we have. The proof of this possibility is everywhere, if people open their eyes and consider the possibilities, and events that have happened at other clubs throughout history. It's basic common sense, but it appears many people lack it.

People who supported the club pre-1992 ought to be aware of this. I don't understand how they are not.

But, see the post by spongebob, the idiots who come on here and insist that "everyone is laughing at us", are talking complete utter bollocks.

They have spent a hell of a lot less than us but got the right manager in, if it wasn't for the Newcastle fans, or players, or anyone else but the board of course we would have sacked Robson at the right time and got the right manager in.

By "right" manager, who do you mean exactly, and explain how you will guarantee they will win one of the 2 trophies, rather than Mourhino, Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez ?

I wait for your criteria, for this foolproof method, that you will send to the club.

You can also explain why you think nobody else will target this person and get him before we do, if you like.

By "right" manager, who do you mean exactly, and explain how you will guarantee they will win one of the 2 trophies, rather than Mourhino, Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez ?

I wait for your criteria, for this foolproof method, that you will send to the club.

You can also explain why you think nobody else will target this person and get him before we do, if you like.

Firstly as far as I'm aware Gejon isn't the chairman of the 5th most successful club in England of recent times, it is the Freddy Shepherd who is and it is he who should have the skills and expertise to pick a better manager than we would, after all that is a major part of his job and if he isn't doing that then he isn't doing his job well.

Secondly why should we target this person before anyone else? Well its called foresight and planning, we identify a suitable target and after careful consideration approach him at the right time, not sack the manager and appoint the easiest replacement. After all we're the 5th most successful club in the world's richest and most elite league, managers should be beating down our doors to get working for us shouldn't they?

How sad is it then that in Shepherd's past two appointments he only found what could most flatteringly be described as mid-level managers, despite all the good work Freddy has done he still can't attract a top manager. Why is this? We've got a 52,000 capacity stadium with near sell-out crowds every game, we've got a fairly good squad when all fully fit, our managers are always backed with cash as Freddy likes to tell us so what is there at the club that prevents us from appointing a top manager? Could it possibly be the chairman? After all he is the man charged with attracting and appointing these top managers and for the most part has failed to do this during his tenure.

Edited by ewerk

Firstly as far as I'm aware Gejon isn't the chairman of the 5th most successful club in England of recent times, it is the Freddy Shepherd who is and it is he who should have the skills and expertise to pick a better manager than we would, after all that is a major part of his job and if he isn't doing that then he isn't doing his job well.

Secondly why should we target this person before anyone else? Well its called foresight and planning, we identify a suitable target and after careful consideration approach him at the right time, not sack the manager and appoint the easiest replacement. After all we're the 5th most successful club in the world's richest and most elite league, managers should be beating down our doors to get working for us shouldn't they?

How sad is it then that in Shepherd's past two appointments he only found what could most flatteringly be described as mid-level managers, despite all the good work Freddy has done he still can't attract a top manager. Why is this? We've got a 52,000 capacity stadium with near sell-out crowds every game, we've got a fairly good squad when all fully fit, our managers are always backed with cash as Freddy likes to tell us so what is there at the club that prevents us from appointing a top manager? Could it possibly be the chairman? After all he is the man charged with attracting and appointing these top managers and for the most part has failed to do this during his tenure.

Firstly, I have not said we are the 5th most successful club in England, but that we have qualified for europe more than any team bar 4 during the time Shepherd has been chairman. Fact. The 3 years we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th, is the first time in 50 years we have finished in the top 5 for 3 consecutive seasons too, under Robson and with Shepherd as chairman. Also fact.

You - and others - miss the point completely about Shepherd. He is chairman of the club, not because he has football knowledge, but because he has the money to buy the shares and the inclination to do the job. If I had the money, I would do it. The fact he is paid is irrelevant in football, he can't be replaced by someone with more knowledge like a high street PLC, it is possible they would be replaced by people with more money, knowledge and desire to do well for the club, but equally so - or perhaps more so - none of those things. He has his opinion, like anyone else, but it doesn't make him more knowledgeable than other fans. There are plenty of idiots on here who know nothing about football, and my opinion is that if anything, they are in the same category ie for instance, those who backed giving Souness time, money and the freedom to sell our best player and show little consideration for the fee and financial implications of reckless team management.

Football is not like the high street, where the chairman of a big PLC is replaced if the company underachieves, so if you think the same applies to football, please explain why he has not been replaced ? Please explain also if you think that a big high street PLC would change their chairman if they performed among the top stores in the country ? The amount of arseholes who make this comparison, when it suits them and fail to see football is a different set of rules and standards, is breathtakingly stupid. Typical of the modern Newcastle supporter though, sadly.

As I said, it isn't that simple. If it was, and we were THAT bad, he would have been replaced, as the old board were because they were shit. If you think it is a matter of getting someone in who knows better, like a high street store, then you need to take a reality check and get into the real world, it doesn't happen in football, and at the end of the day, there is absolutely fuck all me, you, or anyone else can do about it.

My advice to you, is to enjoy moments of relative success when they come along, that is football, and appreciate nobody has a divine right to it. It comes to the clubs who show ambition and pick good managers. However, the big city clubs always come back, if they retain ambition and when they get the manager in again. It will happen to us again. If they don't retain ambition, then that is a different ball game, and sadly there are tossers around who don't understand this, and that it happens.

He is chairman of the club, not because he has football knowledge, but because he has the money to buy the shares and the inclination to do the job.

Abramovich owns Chelsea yet he isn't chairman, at Arsenal it is David Dein not Peter Hill-Wood who takes care of most of the running of the club, not the chairman, at Manchester United while the Glazers own it they realise their shortcomings and it is David Gill who effectively runs the day to day dealings of the club. The biggest clubs have a separation of ownership and control which means it is the people who know the most about the job and how to run a club who do it, not necessarily the guy with the most shares.