Official Formula 1 thread

Ketsbaia

Who do you think will win the title?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Didn't McLaren have a team orders situation a few years ago at the first race of the season in Oz? I'm sure I can remember Coulthard having to slow down and let Hakkinen past.

Wasn't a 'team' order, it was a pact that Hakkinen and Coulthard had made prior to the race in that should they be 1st and 2nd after the last pit stops, the one who got to the first corner first would win the race and the other would yield if he was ahead. DC honoured his promise.

Ron Dennis knew absolutely nothing about it and told the press to take it up with the drivers rather than him.

Different from the Ferrari carry on in Austria a few years later.

Correct.

Mansel was on TALKsport this morning and said if he had been Alonso he would have had something in his contract that said he was the No 1 Driver and the team should revolve around him.

Didn't McLaren have a team orders situation a few years ago at the first race of the season in Oz? I'm sure I can remember Coulthard having to slow down and let Hakkinen past.

Wasn't a 'team' order, it was a pact that Hakkinen and Coulthard had made prior to the race in that should they be 1st and 2nd after the last pit stops, the one who got to the first corner first would win the race and the other would yield if he was ahead. DC honoured his promise.

Ron Dennis knew absolutely nothing about it and told the press to take it up with the drivers rather than him.

Different from the Ferrari carry on in Austria a few years later.

Correct.

Mansel was on TALKsport this morning and said if he had been Alonso he would have had something in his contract that said he was the No 1 Driver and the team should revolve around him.

Trust Nigel to come out with that :lol:

Awesome 'fly by the seat of his pants' driver but an absolute cunt when it come to contracts. Ever wonder why he never lasted more than 2 races at McLaren? Nowt to do with him not fitting in the car, they changed that at vast expense to the team. It's because they wouldn't bow down to his no.1 driver status.

In short, if you want to be a No.1 driver and have a team revolve around you, you don't drive for McLaren. Ron is interested in the constructor's title first and foremost. He sees the driver's title as an added bonus - NOT the other way round.

More first name term stuff from Craig. Trust Nigel, eh! :razz:

Do you want me to start referring to you as 'Robinson'?? I bet that's the norm in your office isn't it??

"Robinson!! Bring me a coffee pronto!!!"

<_<

I bet Nigel's even more boring than Scott in real life :razz:

It's a fucking close contest.....

How many times have you referred to a footballer by their first name who you haven't even met Scott? <_<

I bet Nigel's even more boring than Scott in real life <_<

How many times have you referred to a footballer by their first name who you haven't even met Scott? :icon_lol:

Shola is allowed though :razz:

I bet Nigel's even more boring than Scott in real life :razz:

How many times have you referred to a footballer by their first name who you haven't even met Scott? <_<

Shola's about the only one I can think of tbf. Although I imagine you're frantically searching for instances as I type. :icon_lol:

I'm great in all my forms btw. B)

I bet Nigel's even more boring than Scott in real life <_<

How many times have you referred to a footballer by their first name who you haven't even met Scott? :icon_lol:

Shola's about the only one I can think of tbf. Although I imagine you're frantically editing past posts as I type. B)

I'm great in all my forms btw. B)

FYP :razz:

Alonso says title charge begins now

By Pablo Elizalde and Jonathan Noble Tuesday, June 19th 2007, 12:32 GMT

World champion Fernando Alonso thinks his title challenge will start in earnest when the Formula One season resumes in Europe, after claiming he is now more comfortable than he has ever been at McLaren.

Alonso suggested that he was unhappy with some aspects of the way McLaren were run prior to Indianapolis, but has said that things are now much better after another one-two for the team in the United States Grand Prix.

And with McLaren currently enjoying an advantage over Ferrari, Alonso is bullish about his prospects despite teammate Lewis Hamilton being 10 points clear in the standings.

"I think I'm going to benefit from coming back to Europe," said the world champion in a radio interview with Spanish radio station Cadena Ser on Tuesday. "I think the championship starts now.

"We have done just seven races, not even half the championship. And now I'm more comfortable than before and full of confidence that everything will go well from now on."

Alonso said he had noticed a change in the way McLaren dealt with Hamilton's success in Indy, and that he felt much happier with their approach.

"I think we are better than a week or two ago. They know we have a very good car, that everything is going well, that reliability is working, the car is very fast, and that both drivers are capable of winning races and finishing on the podium.

"After last week, when I said that they were happier when Hamilton won, something that everybody noticed too, I think they are now being more careful with their manners. And (at Indy) we saw a more general joy."

And Alonso has rubbished suggestions that he is unhappy the team allow both drivers full access to each other's data.

It was Alonso's information from Friday practice at Indianapolis that helped Hamilton make a step forward in his pace, especially in the track's middle sector, from Saturday.

"The team does a good job in that aspect," said Alonso.

"Since he is new in the category and he doesn't know the tracks, on Fridays he gets all the data from my car and my laps so he knows the circuit better and knows where the time is found."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59968

Blatantly shitting himself tbh.

The trouble for Alonso now is that, even if he wins the title, everyone will remember this as the year he was thoroughly rattled by a rookie (even if Hamilton goes on to win a dozen drivers' titles of his own). He might as well throw in the towel now...

Ferrari are accusing one of their top engineers of sabotage apparently:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39737

Disgrace....

Nigel Stepney has been at the team for 15 years and was integral in taking them from also-rans to front-runners. They should be commending him, not blasting him.

Dirty tricks campaign IMO B)

for those of you that want to watch decent racing ( and i've managed to sit through the last 2 f1 races without going into a coma...) the british moto gp is on today. bbc 2 12.20 to 2pm.

proper racing tbh.

And another great win to Casey Stoner with big Chris V showing the world how good a rider he is to finish 3rd on the sack of shite with wheels!

Disgrace....

Nigel Stepney has been at the team for 15 years and was integral in taking them from also-rans to front-runners. They should be commending him, not blasting him.

Dirty tricks campaign IMO :huh:

Definitely and basically Ferrari have PR'd themselves into a position that when he does leave for another team, and it's obvious he's off ASAP, they can trot out the industrial espionage excuse.

Ferrari will also be scared stiff of the information he carries about their "bending" and breaking of the rules for a lot of Schumacher titles.

for those of you that want to watch decent racing ( and i've managed to sit through the last 2 f1 races without going into a coma...) the british moto gp is on today. bbc 2 12.20 to 2pm.

proper racing tbh.

And another great win to Casey Stoner with big Chris V showing the world how good a rider he is to finish 3rd on the sack of shite with wheels!

Disgrace....

Definitely and basically Ferrari have PR'd themselves into a position that when he does leave for another team, and it's obvious he's off ASAP, they can trot out the industrial espionage excuse.

Ferrari will also be scared stiff of the information he carries about their "bending" and breaking of the rules for a lot of Schumacher titles.

Can't say I really remember any contentious decisions that have led to Schumacher winning the world title. Most of the time he thrashed the rest of the field and had it won by half way through the season.

proper racing tbh.

Disgrace....

Can't say I really remember any contentious decisions that have led to Schumacher winning the world title. Most of the time he thrashed the rest of the field and had it won by half way through the season.

No contentious decisions but some contentious cars from those ITK. Things like traction control and other ecu based systems that slipped through scrutineering on certain vehicles when it was deemed illegal by the FIM.

proper racing tbh.

Just incase you didnt know, most of the qualifying rounds for the moto GP have been shown live on channel BBCi (301) I only found that out a couple weeks back :huh:

proper racing tbh.

Disgrace....

No contentious decisions but some contentious cars from those ITK. Things like traction control and other ecu based systems that slipped through scrutineering on certain vehicles when it was deemed illegal by the FIM.

I very much doubt anything you are saying is true, mainly because it would be out in the open already.

Maybe not what Sammy is alluding to but there are instances where Ferrari have got away with stuff that I'm adamant other teams wouldn't have had a prayer about.

The barge-board fiasco in Malaysia '99 was a joke and I'm still totally unconvinced by them lobbing the toys out of the pram about the Michelin tyres.

Strange how when their appeal was upheld, they suddenly went from strength to strength. Michelin simply exploited a loop-hole in a ruling...

There's a growing contingent who believe FIA has a silent 't' on the end you know? :huh: