Sunday Paper gossip

Jimbo

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Portsmouth keeper David James is wanted by Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate to replace Mark Schwarzer. (People)

And Boro are also poised to make a new bid for West Brom winger Zoltan Gera. (News of the World)

Aston Villa are prepared to offer Tottenham £8m plus striker Juan Pablo Angel for Robbie Keane. (News of the World)

Leicester City want to bring Australian World Cup star Jason Culina to the Walkers Stadium in the summer. (Sunday Express)

Arsenal are considering moving for CSKA Moscow keeper Igor Akinfeev, 20. (News of the World)

Sunderland boss Roy Keane will move for John O'Shea, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Thomas Gravesen if the Black Cats make it back to the Premiership. (People, News of the World)

Spurs boss Martin Jol will bid for West Brom defender Curtis Davies and Liverpool striker Peter Crouch in the summer. (People)

Tottenham are also lining up an £8m swoop for giant Serb Nikola Zigic, who plays for Racing Santander. (News of the World)

Bolton's Henrik Pedersen says he "would not hesitate" if he received an offer from another club as he is unhappy at being played out of position (News of the World).

Manchester United and Aston Villa are keeping tabs on Wolves winger Michael Kightly just months after he joined the club from Conference side Grays (News of the World).

Coventry boss Iain Dowie wants to sign winger Michael Hughes from Crystal Palace (People).

Wigan want Newcastle's Antoine Sibierski if Lee McCulloch ends up moving to Rangers (Mirror).

Tell us your transfer rumours

OTHER GOSSIP

West Ham's team morale is being ruined by massive gambling sessions between players. (Observer)

Anton Ferdinand admitted he lied to West Ham by pretending he was visiting his sick grandmother while he was out partying in South Carolina. (News of the World)

Steve McClaren will resist the temptation to recall former England captain David Beckham to his next squad. (Sunday Express)

John Terry revealed that there were fears he nearly died after his sickening Carling Cup final head injury last week. (News of the World)

Newcastle are resigned to losing Emre in the summer, whatever the outcome of an FA charge that he used racially-aggravated words in a game at Everton on December 30. (Sunday Express)

Liverpool's Craig Bellamy escaped a heavy fine for his row with John Arne Riise because he offered to donate a big cash sum to charity (Sunday Express).

Blackburn's Robbie Savage says he has lost a stone in weight through depression after breaking his leg in January (Sunday Express).

Sunderland boss Roy Keane says the secret of his success so far has been learning to control his temper on the touchline and save it for the dressing room (Mirror).

AND FINALLY...

England skipper John Terry, who boasts a best check-out of 160, could concentrate on a darts career when he hangs up his boots. (Sunday Express)

Juventus manager Didier Deschamps says he would love to sign Steven Gerrard and would "ride to the airport on a bike to pick him up" if he were to join (News of the World).

Chelsea's Ricardo Carvalho says he would not celebrate if he scored against his former side Porto in the Champions League, because he owes his career to the club (Mirror).

Barcelona are reportedly interested in 15-year-old Crystal Palace academy player John Bostock (Mirror).

Former Millwall and Liverpool winger Jimmy Carter now lives in a castle in Scotland where he works as a property developer (The Football Paper).

Unionist politician David Burnside leads a consortium interested in buying Sir David Murray's stake in Rangers. (Sunday Herald)

Willie McKay said he was going to be offered a two year deal, then it came out he was going to be offered a one year deal. Then on Channel 5's Uefa coverage it said he was holding out for the 2 year deal. Nowt more as been said, as far as I know.

Guest Patrokles

As I recall, the consensus was that one year was fair enough but that two was far too much. Roeder and the club were being slated left, right and centre. Then the truth emerges and it goes quiet.

As I recall, the consensus was that one year was fair enough but that two was far too much. Roeder and the club were being slated left, right and centre. Then the truth emerges and it goes quiet.

I'd expect people to be shouting Roeder and Shepherd's names from the rooftops for the genius-like pragmatism of offering him an extra year rather than two.

Shouldn't even get a year imo. We should shake his hand, thank him very much for the goals, and send him on his way. The bloke is a carthorse and we've got more out of him than we could ever have hoped. We shouldn't be kidding ourselves that there's any more to come.

I'd expect people to be shouting Roeder and Shepherd's names from the rooftops for the genius-like pragmatism of offering him an extra year rather than two.

Definitely would be the perfect reason for a Roeder-Wonderland song... (Leazes will do the Shepherd part)

One year deal shows a lack of ambition, 2 year deal is just silly!

Yup clearly get rid and use that £100,000,000 we've got knocking around just for buying players.

I don't think a 2 year deal is a good idea, but a 1 year deal is probably sensible unless we bring in a LOT of players in the summer.

I'm reminded of the Roeder cures cancer thread. :D

One year deal shows a lack of ambition, 2 year deal is just silly!

Yup clearly get rid and use that £100,000,000 we've got knocking around just for buying players.

I don't think a 2 year deal is a good idea, but a 1 year deal is probably sensible unless we bring in a LOT of players in the summer.

I'm reminded of the Roeder cures cancer thread. :D

Where exactly do you see Sibierski fitting in next year? I'm assuming we're going to sign a forward in the summer, which should put Sibierski down to 5th in the pecking order behind Owen, Martins, Shola, New Bloke. So why pay the wages of a 33 year old 5th choice striker who isn't good enough? Why allow him to finish his career here when he isn't good enough?

5th choice is for young lads from the academy to fill in if required. It's not for a 33 year old on £15-20k a week.

hate to say it but sibierski has never been a forward in his career. thats why he did so poorly at city in terms of goalscoring and creativity... the lads never had pace, but because he can head a ball and offers decent ( not great) technique, people play him up front.

to be fair to our current squad, when fully fit he is definitely 5th in the pecking order we have for forwards and due to his age i'd tell willy mckay to fuck off and take 1 year.

It has to be one year or not at all. I really like Le Sib, but let's not kid ourselves that he's no more than an average midfielder turned forward who works his arse off. Hard work will get you far, but not without ability. Thing is though, I reckon he'll be given the 2 year deal. It'll be Martins, Owen, Shola Ole, and Le Sib with the money saved not buying another centre forward being spent on Anton Ferdinand and Reo-Coker. I wish I was taking the piss at this point.

Guest Patrokles

I think the fact that some people consider Le Sib as a decent squad player just proves that they have finally settled for mediocrity.

He is a decent squad player. If people settled for him as a decent first-teamer, then yes, there would be questions asked. I'm not sure who you'd consider a decent squad player?

I think the fact that some people consider Le Sib as a decent squad player just proves that they have finally settled for mediocrity.

He is a decent squad player. If people settled for him as a decent first-teamer, then yes, there would be questions asked. I'm not sure who you'd consider a decent squad player?

No, a decent squad player for a team challenging for a European qualifying spot should still be of the standard to fulfil this ambition. If you have to play the kind of players like Sibierski you will get average results and end up in average league positions. I'd make an exception if he was an 18 year old academy player, something he isn't...

Edited by Isegrim

Sorry like, but when the subs board went up on Saturday and I saw that Sibierski was coming on, my initial thought was not "Oh good, he's a decent squad player", but rather "Fucking hell, that's as good as we've got to try and turn this one around."

Not good enough. Needs to be shown the door.

If he wasn't considered a decent squad player for Citeh, you have to question if he (in 'the twilight of his career') can be considered one for us. I would say he'll end up being hated by the fans if he even gets another year. I think I said he should get another, in retrospect I was probably being kind. Players like Shola - at a push - are decent squad players.

If he wasn't considered a decent squad player for Citeh, you have to question if he (in 'the twilight of his career') can be considered one for us. I would say he'll end up being hated by the fans if he even gets another year. I think I said he should get another, in retrospect I was probably being kind. Players like Shola - at a push - are decent squad players.

I think a lot people are blinkered because Le Sib is doing better than expected, which is still overall not good enough. Shola is surely the better player, although there are enough people considering not to be better than good First Division standard...

Hehe everyone hated Shola when he was playing, he wasn't a good enough squad player either.

I just think reality is something a lot of people are divorced from when it comes to NUFC currently.

Ideally Le Sib wouldn't be good enough to be a decent squad player, but "ideally" went out the window a long while ago now. :D

When we get our crippling injury list next season (for the 10th season running - it must be a record by now) we simply haven't got a big enough squad for bodies, never mind quality.

Maybe FFS has some cash hidden away (his pasty fund maybe), but other than that I see us stuggling to afford anyone one again.

Hehe everyone hated Shola when he was playing, he wasn't a good enough squad player either.

I just think reality is something a lot of people are divorced from when it comes to NUFC currently.

Ideally Le Sib wouldn't be good enough to be a decent squad player, but "ideally" went out the window a long while ago now. :D

When we get our crippling injury list next season (for the 10th season running - it must be a record by now) we simply haven't got a big enough squad for bodies, never mind quality.

Maybe FFS has some cash hidden away (his pasty fund maybe), but other than that I see us stuggling to afford anyone one again.

Find one post where I've said I hated Shola then.

Find one post where I've said I hated Shola then.

Maybe not you, personally, but then I don't actually think you are "everyone". :D

Settling for mediocrity... QED

Nope, realism, at the moment.

Ambition is of course needed, but not to the point of ignoring reality (that's more a Gullit/Souness kinda managerial philosophy).

If they can bring in enough in numbers and quality, fair enough, but I don’t see it happening, I don’t think there’s the cash to do all that and I’m not sure we’re attractive enough for the sort of players we want and need (especially when the defence needs seriously sorting as well).