The Importance of a Target-Man

newcastlebroon

depends on the players really. If you've got a good midfield you don't really need a targetman. It's there for more direct tactics. Either a pacey Martins-esque striker or a big bruising center forward work best, make sure you aim the ball to run onto, or to the head respectively.

Also, there's little point if your players can't pass the ball from the back, a hit and hope approach might work in the lower elagues, but most teams in the prem have at least one center half who can handle the high balls.

I play a 4-3-1-2 and make the attacking midfielder in the hole my targetman and my playmaker (play to feet) that way everything is channeled through him. He's got good vision and creativity, so he dictates the play. If the wingers are in space he'll knock it wide, if not he'll try and slip the ball through to the strikers

Im currently playing a 4-1-3-2 formation which is working a treat with the targetmen,

do you change your mentality away from home?

Not really, I play with an anchorman in midfield away and push him into the centre when I'm at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I like a target man in this game. Never bothered in previous versions though. Eddie Johnson is spot on if you can get him at the start of the game for just over a million in just over a year his value is at £6.75 million, in the past I've upgraded to Klose when he goes on a free in the summer of 08 and he is the business.