Video evidence

Super_Steve_Howey

The age old argument against video evidence is the time it would take to await decisions, and the stopping of play. (oft used by Motty I think)

How about this as a workable implementation?

1. Video can be used but only applies for disputed goals, decisions leading to goals/ruling out goals, pentalties and diving/cheating

2. In the above events, the game conitunues at normal pace with the original referees decision standing.

3. The above incidents are analysed routinely by a video official, or as the result of a challenge from a member of the a club's bench.

4. There is no signal to the players or spectators that a video review is taking place

5. Video is analysed in cooperation with the broadcasters (i.e. no live game = no video evidence rulings)

6. On finding a decision is incorrect given the video evidence, the referee stops play, and takes appropriate action. On finding no conflict, no signal is made and play is not interrupted.

7. If necessary, further corrective action is taken, e.g. if a player dives and 2 minutes later scores or assists, the goal is chalked off

The only downside I can see is it undermines referees, but in my opinion, it is about time we moved away from the plainly false and not currently working view that the ref's are infallible.

I totally agree with nufcDave4ever too. + Retrospective 3 game bans for diving based on footage (just as they do for violent conduct). It's the only way. I truly don't understand why UEFA/FIFA don't implement it.

Then you have to go through all their "Fair Play" corporate shit, when they encourage cheating every game.

I totally agree with nufcDave4ever too. + Retrospective 3 game bans for diving based on footage (just as they do for violent conduct). It's the only way. I truly don't understand why UEFA/FIFA don't implement it.

Then you have to go through all their "Fair Play" corporate shit, when they encourage cheating every game.

Agree. Retrospective video evidence is fine, live video evidence would damage the game. What would Papa Lazaru do if every decision was correct? :lol:

A 3 game ban for diving is bollocks btw :lol:

Not all of the occurences of course... but I'm talking about game changing/deciding incidents.

If a player is going to decide to dive or feign injury and get a penalty, or an opponent sent off... then 3 games should be mandatory.

Not all of the occurences of course... but I'm talking about game changing/deciding incidents.

If a player is going to decide to dive or feign injury and get a penalty, or an opponent sent off... then 3 games should be mandatory.

Trouble is even with a video replay diving is quite a subjective thing to judge.

That's too subjective imo.

Although I'm against video evidence during a game, I'm certainly all for retrospective video analysis to cite players although this can't and shouldn't effect the result.

TBH, I love the rugby league system whereby a panel sits every Monday reviewing the weekend's games. X you are cited for this, 2 game ban, Y you are cited for this, 3 game ban etc etc.

Then again, I'd also like to see us take the Sin Bin idea from rugby league and other sports. To me it makes no sense that when a player receives a yellow card for commiting an offence against your team that another team further down the line (possibly your rivals for a title) get the benefit of his suspension.

Imagine a penalty being turned down at one end, and while play goes on and video evidence is reviewd by a 4th official, the other team go up the other end and score, get a free-kick etc. only to have it pulled back to have the original penalty awarded?

There'd be fucking bedlam. I also agree with nufc4ever. If it can't be implemented in lower league/Sunday league, then it's changing football as a universal game.

That's too subjective imo.

Maybe, maybe not. But a identical system to the one for violent conduct should be in place. If an incident involving a goal being scored, a player being sent off etc... is dodgy, then it goes on review and a decision is taken to apply the ban or not.

Very simple, yet would certainly work wonders.

Imagine a penalty being turned down at one end, and while play goes on and video evidence is reviewd by a 4th official, the other team go up the other end and score, get a free-kick etc. only to have it pulled back to have the original penalty awarded?

There'd be fucking bedlam. I also agree with nufc4ever. If it can't be implemented in lower league/Sunday league, then it's changing football as a universal game.

Agree, but even the retrospective reviewing of evidence isn't universal though.

I'm actually all for punishments/reviews of cards after a game, but I think during the game is not the time for it via video evidence.

Anyone see the Wigan lad getting sent off last night? Hope he gets off via video evidence tbh.

Neither are linesmen. :lol:

:unsure:

I think the way they're making the game more complicated is a travesty. The current abortion of the off-side trap is a joke and is overcomplicating what should be a simple game, played by simple people.

There's no referee at my 5 aside either. The solution is to get rid of all referee officialdom in all games, including the premiership!

Well, I thought it solved a few problems. :)

I can't see much point to video evidence after the game, recriminations still rumble on when a player who shouldn't be on the pitch subsequently changes a game, or a goal that should have been disallowed decides a game? Retrospective punishments can't overturn results can they?

Like I said, who would have a valid objection to a goal scored by a player that commited a red card offence 3 minutes earlier being wiped off? He shouldn't be on the pitch, but this is a way of implementing that justice without it being abused by coaches or stopping the game every 5 minutes.

And as for the non-league argument, I thought the main point was that the things at stake from bad decisions are light years away from non-league. Pretty much every important game is televised nowadays no? If not just for highlights. I don't see why NUFC should be denied a goal that seals 4th place because it was only found out using rules that can't be applied in non-league.

Perhaps these gripes aren't really there then...

Like I said, who would have a valid objection to a goal scored by a player that commited a red card offence 3 minutes earlier being wiped off? He shouldn't be on the pitch, but this is a way of implementing that justice without it being abused by coaches or stopping the game every 5 minutes.

What if that player didn't score in the meantime, but was loosely involved in the build-up to a goal?

What if that player didn't score in the meantime, but was loosely involved in the build-up to a goal?

Exactly, where would it end? Also, there is a point to retrospective punishment, in that a player is being punished for something he would currently be getting away with. He may have an impact in that particular game after his offence but he'll be banned for a subsequent match or matches.

I'd go for technology for goal line decisions and also for retrospective cards. I'd also trial sin bin.

As for technology playing any other part in real time I'd say no. You only have to look at the ex pro's on MOTD disagreeing with each other over off side, penalties etc etc to see how much of the game is about opinion anyway.