Broadband any recomendations??

Toonpack

Moving into me new house soon and trying to decide on new broadband provider.

Internet does get hammered with my lads' on-line gaming and not downloading movies (because it's illegal and we wouldn't want to do anything illegal would we)

Sky Broadband seems to be the fave at the moment, any suggestions from the techy whippersnappers on here ??

Can't go Telewest (my current ISP) as they don't cover the new house's area

I'm now migrating my account from plusnet to Tiscali, 2mb unlimited for £14.99 (pointless going for anything more as I can only get 1mb at my place), can't get cable either.

I'm now migrating my account from plusnet to Tiscali, 2mb unlimited for £14.99 (pointless going for anything more as I can only get 1mb at my place), can't get cable either.

Heard nothing but bad about Tiscali mind !!

What was wrong with Plusnet? a couple of techy's at work reckon it's fine

Once your migration goes through, I'd give plusnet a ring and make sure that they have deffinetly cancelled your account. I've recently migrated from plusnet to Sky broadband and they still billed me for this month. They gave me a refund as soon as I complained like.

I'm leaving plusnet because of restrictions to newsgroup access........

certain newsgroups I "view" have been removed from their server and I'm now paying for access to newsdemon which is an extra £5 on top of the £22 I pay plusnet, and they also have cut the bandwidth to external newsgroup access so when I can access them they are dead slow, I download about 80gig a month so I need a truely unlimited account.

I've spoken to a few people with Tiscali and I've heard very little negative feedback although reading that forum link I might change my mind ! :blink:

Tiscali come down pretty heavy on those who use a lot of bandwidth- my boss switched his home provided because they slowed his net access right down after his son played online games every night.

Tiscali come down pretty heavy on those who use a lot of bandwidth- my boss switched his home provided because they slowed his net access right down after his son played online games every night.

That's the reason I switched. I knew it was coming though, they sent me some letters first. :blink:

My mate recently got Sky broadband in and was told he'd get 5mb connection , in the month hes had it he reckons hes had about 4 hours in total where hes been able to connect and even then he watches the speed steadily drop until hes getting only around 30k!!!

This seems to mention a few problems with them. I too was abut to change over but now Im staying as I am until I suss a better one out.

http://www.free-broadband-blog.co.uk/sky-b...blems-continue/

oh and their customer service is shite too, hes been complaining for all that time and when he said he wanted to cancel they told him he had to speak to a "tier 3 advisor" first and one would call back which they never did, when he finally managed to speak to one it had past the cooling off period and he was refused!

I have Sky, I get 4meg unlimited for a tenner a month. It was ludicrously unreliable to start with (too many people signing up I reckon) but it's far better now. Four times the speed I was getting before (Sky is LLU) for a third less. The CS is shite, agreed.

Edited by nufc4ever

My mate recently got Sky broadband in and was told he'd get 5mb connection , in the month hes had it he reckons hes had about 4 hours in total where hes been able to connect and even then he watches the speed steadily drop until hes getting only around 30k!!!

This seems to mention a few problems with them. I too was abut to change over but now Im staying as I am until I suss a better one out.

http://www.free-broadband-blog.co.uk/sky-b...blems-continue/

oh and their customer service is shite too, hes been complaining for all that time and when he said he wanted to cancel they told him he had to speak to a "tier 3 advisor" first and one would call back which they never did, when he finally managed to speak to one it had past the cooling off period and he was refused!

I've been sitting on changing for a few months, since i started getting spam mail. Was thinking about tiscali and sky but won't bother now for the moment. My freeserve/wannado/orange - whatever its called now - is excellent connections, no problems or anything and Ive had it for years. Shame about the spam mail which is the only reason I want to change.

Spam mail or not, it's better than dial-up. I remember dial-up, that was back when BT had no ambition. Think yourself lucky you even have broadband. You think you have a divine right to brilliant broadband. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by nufc4ever

Spam mail or not, it's better than dial-up. I remember dial-up, that was back when BT had no ambition. Think yourself lucky you even have broadband. Be careful what you wish for.

Indeed, by the sound of things, I could do a lot worse. So I will stick to what I have until I am convinced the right replacement comes along instead of naively and stupidly turning to the first available option

Jimbo - sorry to put you off tiscali but they were shite to me.

ive a thread on that forum were i asked them to sort out a problem i had. after 6 months - they offered me a mac code!

so i moved to virgin as they dont have a contract and let me download around 300gig per month.

Jimbo - sorry to put you off tiscali but they were shite to me.

ive a thread on that forum were i asked them to sort out a problem i had. after 6 months - they offered me a mac code!

so i moved to virgin as they dont have a contract and let me download around 300gig per month.

forgot about virgin. What do you do re modems etc ???? Basically, I would prefer just to go into IE and change my settings and phone number as it all works fine as it is ? Can you do this if you change to virgin ? And how much is it etc ?