Platini wins UEFA election

Jimbo

Platini has pledged to limit the number of Champions League places to three, from the current quota of four.

The 52 members who now comprise the European confederation, the richest and most influential in world football, decided the outcome in a secret ballot.

Platini immediately invited Johansson to become an honorary president of Uefa.

The 51-year-old former France star said: "This is just the beginning of an adventure.

"I'm happy to be able to represent European football. I'm very moved and very happy.

"This is a great victory but I have huge admiration for Lennart and I would ask for Lennart Johansson to become an honorary president of Uefa."

Johansson was given a standing ovation by the delegates at the invitation of Platini.

The Swede was openly against Platini's proposed changes to the Champions League.

Johansson said: "I don't want to be impolite to a colleague on the executive committee. I've already asked him why he wants to introduce changes to this success story?

"The Champions League is covered by numerous television stations around the world and there are a lot of sports that are trying to copy it."

He added: "The future is his but he has to learn and gain in experience."

Shite, I don't know many specifics about Johansson but got the impression he was a decent enough fella.

Isn't Platini supposed to be Blatter MkII?

Pledges: Limit Champions League places per nation to three, four linesmen per game, against video help for refs

Platini has pledged to limit the number of Champions League places to three, from the current quota of four.

The 52 members who now comprise the European confederation, the richest and most influential in world football, decided the outcome in a secret ballot.

Platini immediately invited Johansson to become an honorary president of Uefa.

The 51-year-old former France star said: "This is just the beginning of an adventure.

"I'm happy to be able to represent European football. I'm very moved and very happy.

"This is a great victory but I have huge admiration for Lennart and I would ask for Lennart Johansson to become an honorary president of Uefa."

Johansson was given a standing ovation by the delegates at the invitation of Platini.

The Swede was openly against Platini's proposed changes to the Champions League.

Johansson said: "I don't want to be impolite to a colleague on the executive committee. I've already asked him why he wants to introduce changes to this success story?

"The Champions League is covered by numerous television stations around the world and there are a lot of sports that are trying to copy it."

He added: "The future is his but he has to learn and gain in experience."

If he threatens to do that, the major clubs will juist threaten to create their own super league... again. I wouldn't be surprised if after such talks, an extra place is awarded to the major leagues - when it all kicks off like the last time. UEFA have no teeth, it should be Champions only.

Shit. This isnt good. The current format is the best compromise to keep the super league people at bay... Platini wants to mess things up, no wonder him and Blatter get along.

I hope he does because I think the game needs it, even if it means we see a few of our top teams break away, they will soon come back cap in hand because a superleague isn't feasable, which is why it has never happened despite the notion of one existing since the 20s and probably before. Clubs have managed to bluff UEFA before, successfuly, but UEFA should call their bluff, I guarantee they'd shite themselves - the clubs that is.

"a superleague isn't feasable"

why not?

Say 16 top clubs , Tv rights worth a zillion, marketing worth even more

who wcould stop them/

remember what Packer did to cricket - and there is a lot more TV money available now

why not?

who wcould stop them/

remember what Packer did to cricket - and there is a lot more TV money available now

I've said it before but if a European Super League was to come into being then it should be a midweek league with the clubs remaining in their domestic league but maybe foregoing the cups.

The problem with a super league which means withdrawing from domestic leagues is that it automatically becomes a closed shop, I realise that's what many clubs want but it would soon get boring without new blood. If clubs maintain their place in the domestic leagues then the winners can take their place in the super league.

Scrap the Champions League completely and create a midweek super league for champions only with those clubs being exempt from domestic cup comps. That would enhance the current Uefa cup format and add some prestige to that competition.

why not?

who wcould stop them/

I've said it before but if a European Super League was to come into being then it should be a midweek league with the clubs remaining in their domestic league but maybe foregoing the cups.

The problem with a super league which means withdrawing from domestic leagues is that it automatically becomes a closed shop, I realise that's what many clubs want but it would soon get boring without new blood. If clubs maintain their place in the domestic leagues then the winners can take their place in the super league.

Scrap the Champions League completely and create a midweek super league for champions only with those clubs being exempt from domestic cup comps. That would enhance the current Uefa cup format and add some prestige to that competition.

and make the league cup the British League Cup

why not?

who wcould stop them/

but if say Chelski, Arsenal Manure & Liverpool go into the Super League what money will come into British Football - we'd be on our way to the US and Australian Football sytems

IMO, interest in football would fall dramatically apart from the four teams you mentioned. I doubt if I'd be that bothered about tuning in to a super league if the Toon could never participate.

Still, for globalization people and to hell with any traditional values, the demise of football probably ins't an issue as they'll tell you it's been replaced by something better. It''l be our own fault if we are too dumb to see it ourselves.

why not?

who wcould stop them/

but if say Chelski, Arsenal Manure & Liverpool go into the Super League what money will come into British Football - we'd be on our way to the US and Australian Football sytems

Rob,

I agree if that came to pass, but what I'm advocating is a midweek superleague for the champions only with those clubs still remaining in the domestic league. In effect a glorified champions league played in league format throughout the season. The champions would probably need to forego the domestic cup comps to facilitate this but I think the game could cope with one club failing to take part in the cup comps.

As Nobby suggested, we could even make one of the cups a British cup to compensate.

why not?

who wcould stop them/

Perhaps I chose the wrong word to use regarding the notion of a Super League, I am sure they could pull one off but I very much doubt it would last and I doubt further that any club, certainly English clubs, would foresake the comfort blanket that is the Premiership, the FA and the money that comes with it just to find out whether a European Super League outside of UEFA control would work or not. I'd honestly love to see the reaction of the so-called G-14 if UEFA did indeed call their bluff. They would shite themselves. The European Super League is football's version of the bogeyman to scare UEFA into submission, nothing more. The CL has already peaked, UEFA want to limit the number of teams in it because they know they are going to see revenue drop so I doubt a Super League would be that much more of a money maker. If you join that type of set-up you lose your domestic income which the last time I looked, accounted for something like 70% of turnover so is advertising going to cover that and then add extra profit on top of that? Season in season out, during dips?

If anything, it is the FA who should be fearful as the Premier League grows ever more wealthy and powerful while the Football League struggles to survive. Many chairman are already asking what purpose does the FA serve and why there is a need for a middleman. It is all very complicated however and a legal minefield as clubs in order to operate have to be affiliated to an FA who to be recognised have to be affiliated to UEFA and so on all the way up to FIFA.

Edited by Howaythetoon