Roy Keane is a bell-end

TheMoog

There are things to admire about Roy keane and things not.

The theme throughout most of this thread is mainly that of bias towards Newcastle / Shearer and against Keane/Manure/Mackems.

Understandable.

Take your bias aside, naivety, rose tinted specs off, and talk sense. Why would Keane be jealous of Shearer ? Shearer may have been a world wide star, but so was Keane. In many ways they were similar. Shearer was the greatest centre forward of his generation, and Keane was the same in his position.

Fact is, Keane may have chinned Shearer that day, Shearer may have chinned Keane. We will never know.

One thing about Roy Keane, is that he had such desire that he would have been idolised at Newcastle just as much as he was idolised at manure. Nobody cares what the opposition think of a player if he is your player and he makes the team tick, like he did.

If anyone is jealous, its the people on here who are having a go at Roy Keane, simply because - the only thing wrong with Roy Keane is he didnt' play for Newcastle, exactly the same thing as the only thing wrong with Alan Shearer in a manu fans eyes is that he didn't sign for manu.

And the scary thing about Roy Keane now, is that he is looking like he may be putting the mackems on the right road, the only consolation being that if he does, he will end up at Old Trafford instead.

This.

I don't even think there is a big issue between the two, they have both claimed post their SJP spat that they admired one another greatly as people and as players, I think Shearer being a pundit that night of the 5-1 drubbing was just a coincidence and in now way the cause of Keane's rant. As a manager he's doing a good job and it will be interesting to see just what type of manager both he and Shearer develop into. If I had to bet on one though, I'd say Shearer will be the better manager due to his ability to think straight in the heat of the battle, something Keane has always struggled with. But I think both will be a big success one day if I'm being honest, as they have that type of quality as characters to inspire others. One day the two could cross swords as manager of NUFC and Sunderland respectively, let battle commence then.

Actually HTT I've heard Shearer comment on his respect for Keane a fair few times but never Keane say anything positive about Shearer.

He definitely said something once about how he repsected him, thought he was a great player and wished he joined Man Utd (or words to the effect). Think it was in the build-up to the 6-2 home loss (not sure though).

Spot on Leazes. Got quite a lot of respect for Keane myself, purely for the passion he showed when he was on the pitch - but he let himself down badly with the challenge on Haaland, and the subsequent book, which seemingly went out of its way to be controversial just to sell copies.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he became a very good manager somewhat in the Brian Clough mode - wasn't it Cloughie who picked him up in the first place for Forest?

I think you'd guess wrong.

Sheraer is a much bigger name in football than Keane even with his manure connections.

Well it's impossible to say but I just don't think Shearer has much recognition outside of England.

The Face from the A-Team said Shearer was the only footballer he had heard of (when they were talking about Beckham)

all the recognition i need

If you are abroad (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.) and tell people you are a Toon fan, Alan Shearer is probably the first thing they'll respond with in my experience.

Sheraer is a much bigger name in football than Keane even with his manure connections.

Well it's impossible to say but I just don't think Shearer has much recognition outside of England.

The Face from the A-Team said Shearer was the only footballer he had heard of (when they were talking about Beckham)

Did he?

Class :lol:

I can't remember where and when he said it but he did say (rightly) that had Shearer signed for Man Utd then he (Keane) would have got to play in a Champions League final as Man Utd would have reached plenty more than they did.

Theres nothing endearing about Roy Keane whatsoever though is there.

The revenge tackle on Alf Inge whatdoyoumecallit and the way he talked about it in his book warranted a bit more of a rebuke than he got.

I think it was Haaland wasnt it :lol:

Did he?

Class :lol:

aye about a week ago on Big Brother.

He also said something like "Shearer's the one with the most goals ever isn't he?"

both legends

Edited by Nobby

If you are abroad (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.) and tell people you are a Toon fan, Alan Shearer is probably the first thing they'll respond with in my experience.

Went to Europe this summer, flew into Rome on the day of England-Ecuador. In the taxi to the campsite I made a comment to my missus that we shouldn't miss any of the match. The taxi driver then announced, in very broken English that Alan Shearer was his favourite player, unprompted! Hero, tbh.

Went to Europe this summer, flew into Rome on the day of England-Ecuador. In the taxi to the campsite I made a comment to my missus that we shouldn't miss any of the match. The taxi driver then announced, in very broken English that Alan Shearer was his favourite player, unprompted! Hero, tbh.

when i was with my lass in Tenerife was walking along the road and passed this old spanish man who shouted Alan Shearer at us and smiled, havn't got a clue why, must have just recognised our Geordie voices

when i was with my lass in Tenerife was walking along the road and passed this old spanish man who shouted Alan Shearer at us and smiled, havn't got a clue why, must have just recognised our Geordie voices

Or he was an old, pissed Geordie man.

Or he was an old, pissed Geordie man.

definately Spanish, sitting outside his China Shop

I read the Keane book a couple of years back and I can't remember any of it saying he wishes he had connected with shearer, in fact if my memory serves me correctly he said he was out of order that day and unprofessional.

Didn't like him before i read his book but after it I found he seemed like quite a decent bloke and tbh i would rather have him in charge at the toon than Roeder rat

Edited by Wacky Jnr

I read the Keane book a couple of years back and I can't remember any of it saying he wishes he had connected with shearer, in fact if my memory serves me correctly he said he was out of order that day and unprofessional.

Aye he said something along the lines of, "Shearer called me a prick and he was right, I was being a prick".