What are you reading?

khay

For whatever reason I've only read 'Less Than Zero' by him. Thought it was canny good but even reading it mid-90s or whatever it seemed a bit dated but I suppose the 80s are cool again.

For whatever reason I've only read 'Less Than Zero' by him. Thought it was canny good but even reading it mid-90s or whatever it seemed a bit dated but I suppose the 80s are cool again.

Highly recommend Imperrial Bedrooms. The dry observational style and the addled internal thoughts are quite something. It has a finality and hopelessness about it. It's not just casually cynical, its poetic in its it's (his) inability to connect. I guess it is modern surrealism in the vein of Age of Reason and Iron in the Soul. It's moving but leaves you cold. No character posses any of the qualities needed to help another. Extremely well written.

Highly recommend Imperrial Bedrooms. The dry observational style and the addled internal thoughts are quite something. It has a finality and hopelessness about it. It's not just casually cynical, its poetic in its it's (his) inability to connect. I guess it is modern surrealism in the vein of Age of Reason and Iron in the Soul. It's moving but leaves you cold. No character posses any of the qualities needed to help another. Extremely well written.

Sounds a little bit like Ballard.

But cleaner, more pure. More crystaline.

;) Fucking hell man. You're batshit crazy.

;) Fucking hell man. You're batshit crazy.

At this juncture I'd like to point out I'm not the one that fawns over coffee pads. :lol:

• 3 months later...
Has anyone read any James Joyce? I have Ulysses but I can't be arsed reading it, too much of an undertaking and it's a little beyond me atm. Thinking of getting some of his short stories, there was a collection I heard about called the Dubliners or something.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is good. Never worked up the courage to start Ulysees either.

Has anyone read any James Joyce? I have Ulysses but I can't be arsed reading it, too much of an undertaking and it's a little beyond me atm. Thinking of getting some of his short stories, there was a collection I heard about called the Dubliners or something.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is good. Never worked up the courage to start Ulysees either.

Someone gave me a copy of that actually, I forgot; might give it a go. Started reading The Prince by Machiavelli, but I've not picked it up for a week, been knackered. There was a mention of Pope Innocent in the introduction which made me laugh.

I've started Ulysses a few times, the first paragraph is really good.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Just finished "We were young and carefree" - Laurent Fignion, great read. Without doubt one of the best cycling books I have read.

Before that read

The White Spider: The story of the North Face of the Eiger - Fantastic book.

I have 127 hours to read (Although its called between a rock and a hardplace) along with a few more I got at Christmas.

Got Dead Line by Stella Rimington out of the library. I'm not sexist or owt but I'll see how I find her books where the main character is a woman. Seems to be a standard spy thriller.