What are you reading?

khay

Every boy's dream. It's about the UK's youth football academies. A real eye opener if you have kid/s in a player development centre or academy. Made me wonder if i'm doing the right thing letting my boy play at his.

Looks a canny read that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just for Meenzer etc :razz:

"Voices of the Codebreakers", by Michael Paterson. Foreword by Robert Harris, who wrote "Enigma" to give you a clue as to what it's about.

Edited by LeazesMag

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird, thought it was terrific for a first novel, probably more suited to a younger reader. Someone bought me God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by C. Hitchens, 2 chapters in and it's better than I expected; it's the type of book that promotes further reading also because Hitchens cites from so many different sources.

I bought Derren Brown: Trick of the Mind for someone ages ago, and have borrowed it to read the section on memory. Good stuff, goes over simple techniques like mnemonics in the bit I've read so far.

Just finished Galactic Pot-Healer by Phillip K Dick (highly recommended) and 30 Days in Sydney: A Wildly Distorted Account by Peter Carey (enjoyable but insular unless you know Sydney).

Started Human Is? which is a collection of short stories by P K Dick.

Brett Easton-Ellis

Impereal Bedrooms, got me to go back and re-read Lunar Park and Less Than Zero.

Never been a massive fan of his, but now beginning to catch hold.

Thought Lunar Park was one of the worst books I've ever read, barring the first and final chapters, which were oddly brilliant.

Liked his other stuff but haven't read Imperial Bedrooms - any good?

Brett Easton-Ellis

Impereal Bedrooms, got me to go back and re-read Lunar Park and Less Than Zero.

Never been a massive fan of his, but now beginning to catch hold.

Thought Lunar Park was one of the worst books I've ever read, barring the first and final chapters, which were oddly brilliant.

Liked his other stuff but haven't read Imperial Bedrooms - any good?

Picked it up in the bookshop, found a chair and read it (It's quite slim). Very moving and tragic in the sense of being a viewer (with him) of Hollywood and its surrounds drift into meaningless sterility and faux releationships. He is there and not there, you are beside him. It is unsettling in its dislocated observations on the demise of Western man and the erosion of inter-relationships. It's uber post-modern and faintly needy. There is also a kind of horrific backstory going on that wafts in and out of your nostrils, sometimes you can feel his panick of feeling he is spinning into it. The others are there from Less Than Zero but older and more lost and more alienated by their lifestyles, the characters are on the edge of some kind of total tragedy, toral black out of consciousness...But noboudy can quite let go....