What are you reading?

khay

Aye, sounds like a right laugh.

:lol:

The humor that the young lads then must of had to get quickly was mad. There was a dead body on one trench, well, a buried dead body with just the arm sticking out. The blokes in the trench used to shake this guys hand every morning :lol:

My fave though was when the Germans were shouting over deadmans land "When are you Yorkshire Bastards coming over?" :lol:

Great read.

'Home Run' earlier in the thread was also a great read, recommended by Bobby Shinton earlier in the thread. My mate also read 'Medic!' by the same people and reckons it was class. Though I'm yet to borrow it, the trend is I borrow him a handful of books & he buggers off and I don't see him for 6 months.

I knew what you meant anyway. Gallow's humour and all that. All Quiet on the Western Front is a fantastic read btw.

Aye, I have that to read next which I am looking forward to :)

I shall look into those too Tom, cheers

There was a class one about a British soldier who could speak basic French.

One day there was a bang on the door and a bunch of german soldiers burst in demanding something, eventually they moved onto French and they were only asking for eggs.

He hid out in a barn for three weeks and he would get daily visits from very Friendly germans whom had grasp of French, he sold them eggs every day and didn't get caught. :lol:

not for the first time, totally recommend the Stephen Leather books. Not so much the later or more recent ones [although they are good] but the earlier books "The Chinaman", "The Bombmaker" "The Long Shot". He's the best modern fictional writer of thrillers in the business

I definitely recommend that Forgotten Voices of The Somme. Lent it off my lecturer once and he pissed off to another job without asking for it back. Result.

Think I'll be getting that- good shout. :thumbup:

Its a fantastic book Monkey.

If you PM me your address ill send you it.

I definitely recommend that Forgotten Voices of The Somme. Lent it off my lecturer once and he pissed off to another job without asking for it back. Result.

Small acts of random kindness - cheers Wykiki. Made my day that.

I've recently discovered 4 relatives-Great Uncles, Great Grandfathers, who fought at the Somme, 3 of them were killed on the first day, so my interest in this particular battle has been piqued.

They're all on the Thiepval Memorial to the Lost, which I'd love to visit at some point.

:lol: My pleasure lad :)

I visited Ypres when I was in Belgium this year, feeeeeck me, emotional man, emotional.

This a great story KSA, about the children of the men who tended the British war graves in Belgium, and what happened to them when the German Army invaded in WWII.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222375/The-children-fought-Hitler-How-British-expats-Third-Reichs-fiercest-foes.html

It mentions the book at the end of the article.

9781848540866.JPG

:lol: My pleasure lad :)

I visited Ypres when I was in Belgium this year, feeeeeck me, emotional man, emotional.

A pleasing thump on the doormat , and the book has just arrived.

For a grumpy misogynist, you're a top bloke Wykiki :lol:

Thanks again.