Would you scrap the transfer window?

FCUM

I must confess, I fail to see the benefit of this ridiculous window. What does it acheive?

The way I see it, it only benefits the bigger clubs, players and agents. Players become available in this window, the whole world knows about it and the players take their pick at massively over inflated fees & wages.

The smaller clubs have been crippled by it as within a short window clubs seem to spend the whole time trying to do their big deals and don't seem to want to take a chance with younger players from the lower leagues.

Look at the injury crisis you have had. In years gone by you might have been tempted to try a young lower league player as a stop gap. The player gets a chance and the smaller club a few quid.

I remember Barry Fry complaining on that Atkinson documentary. He had no money to pay his wages, another club wanted to buy one of his players for 60k, he wanted to sell, player wanted to go, everybody's happy but he can't do the deal which would help to pay the wages.

Once upon a time you could scout a player, spot the talent before other clubs and quietly snap him up before anybody else knew about it.

Get rid of the bloody thing I say :rolleyes:

On the other hand smaller clubs are protected because the big ones can't come in any time and take their better players. Because in the end the small clubs can resist in selling when a player wants to move.

Something I've noticed about the transfer window is the totally different approach outside of the UK, with clubs being much more eager to sort things out in advance and in between the windows. ("planning" :rolleyes::blink::blink: )

Yes. I hate it how none of the squads are finalised until we're already 3-4 games into the season. The first day of the season used to be exciting for many reasons but also because all the new boys were on show (like in 96 with Shearer, Ravanelli and Vialli etc.. ). Now all the big signings are made on August 30th. The old system was so much better.

I hate it and find it pointless.

What was the original reason for it's implementation?

As Gemmil says, we struggle with the windows, regardless of length. Shirley we should just treat it as though the windows arent really closed and continue to conduct our business in advance of the transfer market opening.

I get the feeling with this club that we only start scouting for players the day that the window opens.

Yes. I hate it how none of the squads are finalised until we're already 3-4 games into the season. The first day of the season used to be exciting for many reasons but also because all the new boys were on show (like in 96 with Shearer, Ravanelli and Vialli etc.. ). Now all the big signings are made on August 30th. The old system was so much better.

As I said, I think that is rather a British (esp. Newcastle) problem and not one of the window itself...

Yes. I hate it how none of the squads are finalised until we're already 3-4 games into the season. The first day of the season used to be excited for many reasons but also because all the new boys were on show (like in 96 with Shearer, Ravanelli and Vialli etc.. ). Now all the big signings are made on August 30th. The old system was so much better.

As I said, I think that is rather a British (esp. Newcastle) problem and not one of the window itself...

Much easier to blame UEFA though.

On the other hand smaller clubs are protected because the big ones can't come in any time and take their better players. Because in the end the small clubs can resist in selling when a player wants to move.

Most (OK not all) smaller clubs want and need to sell their promising players though.

I'd also argue it's counter productive and stops smaller clubs getting the talent in the first place. At one time young players would happily sign for a Burnley or Bury knowing that if they did well then they would get their chance with a bigger club. They won't take that chance now as the bigger clubs don't buy there. Nowadays they will all sign for a bigger club and get farmed out on loan. The lower league clubs are still doing a lot of the development but not making the money out of it when they develop another club's assets.

Most (OK not all) smaller clubs want and need to sell their promising players though.

Does the transfer window really hinder the sale of youngsters? If at all it is only delaying it by a couple of months while the old club might be happy to retain his service for this time. The same goes for your second point. I really don't see the cases where a player was hindered in choosing a club as spring board just because of the transfer window.

As for the purpose of the window. One of it was to preserve the balance of competitions just as why already in England transfers were prevented in the decisive stages of the season. This has been extended, but I really don't think that it has such a drastic influence on football as it is implied when people start moaning about it.

Does the transfer window really hinder the sale of youngsters? If at all it is only delaying it by a couple of months while the old club might be happy to retain his service for this time. The same goes for your second point. I really don't see the cases where a player was hindered in choosing a club as spring board just because of the transfer window.

As for the purpose of the window. One of it was to preserve the balance of competitions just as why already in England transfers were prevented in the decisive stages of the season. This has been extended, but I really don't think that it has such a drastic influence on football as it is implied when people start moaning about it.

In this country, Isegrim, I genuinely think it does hinder the sale of promising players from the lower leagues. Most of the transfer activity takes place in the summer when clubs by and large have fully fit squads and tend only to buy proven players they see as improving the first team. Supporters raise their expectations in these windows and are just looking for the big name signings. I reckon if it were allowed, Newcastle might have taken a punt with a lower league defender in the last month or two and by and large the supporters would have accepted it given the circumstances, and given them a chance. If Newcastle were to announce they are doing that in the summer when everybody wants the big signings it will be greeted with derision.

Something I've noticed about the transfer window is the totally different approach outside of the UK, with clubs being much more eager to sort things out in advance and in between the windows. ("planning" :rolleyes::blink::blink: )

how can anyone in the UK plan when any manager is only 5 games away from the chop?

Hell, someone could be bought by a WINNING team on day 1 of the window and find his manager is gone long before the end of it over here -

how can anyone in the UK plan when any manager is only 5 games away from the chop?

Hell, someone could be bought by a WINNING team on day 1 of the window and find his manager is gone long before the end of it over here -

That's hardly only the case in England Rob though, is it?

how can anyone in Spain plan when any manager is only 5 games away from the chop?

FYP?

Just for the record, I am neither a fan nor an opponent to the transfer window. It has it advantages and it has its disadvantages which equal each other out imho.

But I do think there is a fair amount of hypocrisy involved in the criticism of the system. First of all I don't two of FCUM's together. One hand he says that young players from lower leagues only sign for the big clubs from where they get loaned out and don't chose the likes of Burnley et al any more. Then he says big clubs don't sign promising players from the lower leagues because they only go for the big names in the summer because of the supporters expectations. Err, what is it now? The same goes for some basic criticism from managers. One one hand they moan about players not honouring their contracts any more in the post-Bosman time. Then they moan about the window not allowing them sign players from other clubs whenever they want (and Papa L is correct this is in fact restricting free movement and therefore it would be interesting to see the European Courts verdict on this). And when you say that especially in the last months Newcastle might have fancied a gamble on a defender from the lower leagues then it also means that if Newcastle had done this the likes of Edgar and Hunty would have never got their first taste of first team football. And sticking with the example of Newcastle. The injury crisis has not changed, so when Newcastle had applied the gamble on a young first division player at the end of December, why should the situation be different at the start of January.

Another thing is the protection of clubs. Take the examples of Nugent and Hargreaves. Without the window PNE would have probably even more in the centre of transfer talk all the time about one of their main strikers. The window gives them the security that they can hang on to a player the see essential to their promotion hopes if they fend of the interest during the window. Bayern who are reluctant to see Hargreaves go can be sure they don't lose a player to one of their (arguably bigger) European opponents.

As I said, a lot of the British (blown out of proportions) "problems" with the transfer window seem to me either self made or incoherent.

First of all I don't two of FCUM's together. One hand he says that young players from lower leagues only sign for the big clubs from where they get loaned out and don't chose the likes of Burnley et al any more. Then he says big clubs don't sign promising players from the lower leagues because they only go for the big names in the summer because of the supporters expectations. Err, what is it now?

I don't think there is any contradiction in that, Isegrim. Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.

Bigger clubs don't often sign players from lower league clubs these days. At one time promising young players would happlily sign for Burnley et al, happy in the knowledge that if they did well, a bigger club would move in for them.

Nowadays, as the bigger clubs no longer seem to want to take a punt on players from lower leagues, the promising young players only want to sign for the bigger clubs and then will hope to get farmed out on loan to a smaller club to prove themselves.

The end result is the smaller clubs are no longer developing their own talent for their own profit but are merely nurturing the talent the bigger clubs already possess.

We can argue as to whether the transfer window has a part to play in why the bigger clubs no longer choose to take a punt on lower league players, but personally I think it does.

We can argue as to whether the transfer window has a part to play in why the bigger clubs no longer choose to take a punt on lower league players, but personally I think it does.

Ok, I get you now but am still not sure if the points really fit together. But that is probably rather because I don't think the fact (if it is one) of the big clubs signing less players from the lower leagues has anything to do with the transfer window but rather other circumstances. Again imho the window is - if it all - delaying, but not by itself preventing transfers.

But one thing that has to be considered are the inflated prices for home grown (British) talent which means that suitors from the lower leagues are priced out of the market anyway while bigger clubs might easily lose their interest when they are quoted ridiculous fees. The other things is the globalisation of the football market in general meaning that clubs from the top leagues have far easier to look for players (for more reasonable prices) abroad than having to gamble on young talent from the lower leagues. And the work permit isn't really any hindrance any more (and the cases of Baros and Dong show how the clubs deal with it).