Greatest Finisher Of All Time

Tooj

He misses one of them :(

I love that finish with the laces against Holland in USA '94. Rumminege (sp?) could finish too like, pure class.

Rummenigge. :P

They are all no Gerd Müller though.

indeed

if we're talking "finishers" I htink my list of all time greats would run:-

Muller

Clough

Lineker

Greaves

at NUFC it would have to be Len White

saw them all - but Gerd was sommat else

men who seemed to be able to stay totally calm in the mad house of the penalty (or even goal) area and just pop up to bang the ball in

interestingly non of them was very fast, or very tall - all about reading the game and keeping a clear head

Bloke I knew who saw both Hughie and Wor Jackie (passed away now sadly) reckons White was the best of them all and one of my relatives reckons he was even better than Shearer.

What about Law Rob and Ian Rush?

they'd make it if the list was longer - I think Rush was more a Shearer type when I watched him; Law...... a very good play maker as well as a striker - he was at his best running at the defence - wheras fat Gert and Clough never ran anywhere - they just waited for the ball to come to them

I knew a lot of people and family who watched Hughie, Jackie and Len W - I only saw Len White

They always rated them in that order - White probably suffered because he wasn't at all demonstrative and a lot of his goals were clinical - Jacky's were breathtaking and Hughie was magic according to all accounts

I'd put Shearer in alongside Wor Jackie - my mam did and she remembered us winning the league when she was a bairn :rolleyes::blink::blink::blink::blink::(:(

Whats all this natural finisher shite that surrounds Fowler about anyway? Does it mean they can do it in their sleep, or that he's been able to score from 30 yards since he was a baby?

Surely all good strikers are natural finishers, as its what they've always done.

It is a tired old cliche I agree, but the likes of Fowler ARE natural finishers compared to some strikers, like Martins for example who just isn't and never will be. The likes of Fowler don't even need to look and can finish all manner of strikes effortlessly in the blink of an eye, so I think the description is valid where he is concerned. I don't think it means anything though in the grande scheme of finding the back of the net because Shearer was never described as a natural finisher, yet as we all know, he was in a league of his own when it came to finishing. Anyway natural to me means effortless and you have to admit, Fowler in his pomp put them away in that fashion. Romario was the same. The Shearers worked harder for their goals.

What complete bollocks, again.

Oh, I seem to have a stalker, that's two threads now, care to debate the point or are you unable to?

I agree, though, I do talk shite :blink:

I thought a succinct summary would work better than a point by point analysis. :rolleyes: Basically I think the whole idea of Martins, or any player of such a young age, never being able to become as good a finisher as Fowler is ridiculous. It may take him more practice but he COULD quite possibly become as accomplished.

And don't flatter yourself, if I was going to stalk someone they would be far prettier than you. :blink:

Whats all this natural finisher shite that surrounds Fowler about anyway? Does it mean they can do it in their sleep, or that he's been able to score from 30 yards since he was a baby?

Surely all good strikers are natural finishers, as its what they've always done.

It is a tired old cliche I agree, but the likes of Fowler ARE natural finishers compared to some strikers, like Martins for example who just isn't and never will be. The likes of Fowler don't even need to look and can finish all manner of strikes effortlessly in the blink of an eye, so I think the description is valid where he is concerned. I don't think it means anything though in the grande scheme of finding the back of the net because Shearer was never described as a natural finisher, yet as we all know, he was in a league of his own when it came to finishing. Anyway natural to me means effortless and you have to admit, Fowler in his pomp put them away in that fashion. Romario was the same. The Shearers worked harder for their goals.

Oh, I seem to have a stalker, that's two threads now, care to debate the point or are you unable to?

I thought a succinct summary would work better than a point by point analysis. :rolleyes: Basically I think the whole idea of Martins, or any player of such a young age, never being able to become as good a finisher as Fowler is ridiculous. It may take him more practice but he COULD quite possibly become as accomplished.

And don't flatter yourself, if I was going to stalk someone they would be far prettier than you. :blink:

Well I like to write waffle, so if it's succinct points you're after I'm your wrong man :blink:

<talkingshite>I like Martins and he will score goals, but I doubt he'll ever become as accomplished in the art of finishing as a Fowler because he isn't a natural finisher. But that doesn't mean he can't be just as prolific or score goals and it isn't an issue. It isn't as if I'm criticising him for not being a natural finisher, you don't have to be one to score goals. All I'm saying in reply to Ally's post is that for some strikers you can clearly define whether they are a natural finisher or not and for me, Fowler falls into the category where as Martins doesn't.</talkingshite>

:blink:

Well I like to write waffle, so if it's succinct points you're after I'm your wrong man :blink:

<talkingshite>I like Martins and he will score goals, but I doubt he'll ever become as accomplished in the art of finishing as a Fowler because he isn't a natural finisher. But that doesn't mean he can't be just as prolific or score goals and it isn't an issue. It isn't as if I'm criticising him for not being a natural finisher, you don't have to be one to score goals. All I'm saying in reply to Ally's post is that for some strikers you can clearly define whether they are a natural finisher or not and for me, Fowler falls into the category where as Martins doesn't.</talkingshite>

Fair enough, I just think the idea of being a 'natural finisher' is a load of crap.

He misses one of them :(

I love that finish with the laces against Holland in USA '94. Rumminege (sp?) could finish too like, pure class.

Rummenigge. :P

They are all no Gerd Müller though.

indeed

if we're talking "finishers" I htink my list of all time greats would run:-

Muller

Clough

Lineker

Greaves

at NUFC it would have to be Len White

saw them all - but Gerd was sommat else

men who seemed to be able to stay totally calm in the mad house of the penalty (or even goal) area and just pop up to bang the ball in

interestingly non of them was very fast, or very tall - all about reading the game and keeping a clear head

Bloke I knew who saw both Hughie and Wor Jackie (passed away now sadly) reckons White was the best of them all and one of my relatives reckons he was even better than Shearer.

What about Law Rob and Ian Rush?

they'd make it if the list was longer - I think Rush was more a Shearer type when I watched him; Law...... a very good play maker as well as a striker - he was at his best running at the defence - wheras fat Gert and Clough never ran anywhere - they just waited for the ball to come to them

I knew a lot of people and family who watched Hughie, Jackie and Len W - I only saw Len White

They always rated them in that order - White probably suffered because he wasn't at all demonstrative and a lot of his goals were clinical - Jacky's were breathtaking and Hughie was magic according to all accounts

I'd put Shearer in alongside Wor Jackie - my mam did and she remembered us winning the league when she was a bairn :rolleyes::blink::blink::blink::blink::(:(

Cheers for the post Rob, always interesting to hear about ex-players we only see in the odd black & white clip. That's not a dig at your age either :P

Reading about Wor Jackie many reckon had he had the confidence of others, he'd have been an even better player and would have at least added a good number of goals to his already fantastic tallies, but he was very shy and not the most confident of players. He even smoked to calm his nerves! Some ex players suggested he didn't get too many caps for England not because of Norhern bias like the Toon record books would have you believe or old match reports, but because he was always questioning whether he was good enough to play amongst such "greats" and that the selectors of the time just couldn't be arsed with coaxing him out of his shell when equally good players were full of confidence and didn't need pepp talks.

Edit: I'd have loved to have seen Len Shakleton in action, the clown prince of soccer.

Edited by Howaythetoon

Fair enough, I just think the idea of being a 'natural finisher' is a load of crap.

Would you say Rooney being a natural talent is a load of crap too? And do you reckon Ameobi has it in him or could be coached to finish like Robbie Fowler with lots of practice?

Edited by Howaythetoon

Well I like to write waffle, so if it's succinct points you're after I'm your wrong man :(

Would you say Rooney being a natural talent is a load of crap too? And do you reckon Ameobi has it in him or could be coached to finish like Robbie Fowler with lots of practice?

With enough practice, yes. You'd be down the training ground a while mind. :blink:

Guest stevieintoon

I think Romario is a good shout for best finisher of the modern era but it's always going to be a contencious subject.

There isn't much footage of Dixie Dean available unfortunately, and I know it was an era where the athelticism wasn't what it is now with players putting tabs oot on the halfway line at kick off, but to score 60 goals in a season, he must've had something.

Jimmy Greaves of the players around more than 30 years ago, sticks out as the best for me from what I've seen, class finisher, nearly a goal a game for England, and this youtube clips demonstrates how clever he was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6dAjIuUqU

I agree, though, I do talk shite :(

Well I like to write waffle, so if it's succinct points you're after I'm your wrong man :(

With enough practice, yes. You'd be down the training ground a while mind. :blink:

Good to know I'm not the only one who talks shite on here :blink:

One of the more exciting privileges I got from being a color comentator for my local club was to get the opportunity to talk briefly with Romario last year during the World Cup. For someone who is so unhumble publically, I have to say that he was quite down to earth when I spoke with him. It was during the first round that I spoke to him and he predicted that Brazil would win it (unsurprisingly.)

In domestic football (of those I've watched) it would have to be Greaves, Law, Lineker in that order.

Strange thing is though when we talk about great finishers (me included) we always concentrate on the 'shooting' finishers and forget the great headers like Wyn Davies etc.

I think Romario is a good shout for best finisher of the modern era but it's always going to be a contencious subject.

There isn't much footage of Dixie Dean available unfortunately, and I know it was an era where the athelticism wasn't what it is now with players putting tabs oot on the halfway line at kick off, but to score 60 goals in a season, he must've had something.

Jimmy Greaves of the players around more than 30 years ago, sticks out as the best for me from what I've seen, class finisher, nearly a goal a game for England, and this youtube clips demonstrates how clever he was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6dAjIuUqU

aye but they also played with a ball that weighed 10 kilos when it was dry, on pitches that resembled Paschendale for most of the season and against defences that made the Russian Mafia look like "Blue Peter"

That. I think, was why NUFC oldsters rated Hughie above Milburn - Hughie was very small but scored from anywhere and also with his head whereas Jackie a physically bigger lad and famous as a Bobbie Charlton style thunderbolt striker who very very rarely scored with his head

In domestic football (of those I've watched) it would have to be Greaves, Law, Lineker in that order.

Strange thing is though when we talk about great finishers (me included) we always concentrate on the 'shooting' finishers and forget the great headers like Wyn Davies etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh The Mighty Wynn

I was privileged to be behind the goal at Stoke when Gordon Banks made what he thought was his GREATEST save (and none of this Pele rubbish in Mexico) against Wynn Davies and Dave Hilley