• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:baby:

I hope that wasnt aimed at me? ;)

No, at the thread in general.

For cypriot wine see Renton's post... :(

Hmm - once in the early 70's I went into an off licence and asked for "something cheap and nasty" and the bloke produced a bottle of "romanian Reisling" - "very cheap and very nasty sir - I guarantee it" and he was RIGHT!!! A terrible slur on Romania which does produce decent wines (tho as they point out most of them are exported to Jormany - where you never see any Romanian wine on sale - very odd that....)

In Malta - a bottle of "Special Reserve" - guaranteed to have been in the bottle for at least a weekend.......... god knows what the "ordinary" was like

In Austria in the late 90's a bottle of genuine anti freeze - it had a very odd smell, a sheen on the surface and ..............................

An English wine (at the vineyard no less) that had so much sugar in it it qualified as an Energy Drink

God!! I suffer for my hobbies

Tbf, I wouldn't touch anything from the balkans or Greece. Then again, increasingly I'm finding anything not from Australia/NZ or South America isn't worth bothering with, as it's likely to be poorer quality and more expensive. Except champagne, naturally.

The price issue is correct, the quality one is bollocks tbh

Quality in MY price range I meant. I can't afford 20 quid for a vintage Bordeaux. If it's less than a tenner, a new world wine is usually the best bet.

Anyway, what would a German know? :razz:

Well, associating German wine just with Blue Nun rather demonstrates the British ignorance than actually being a reflection of the quality. But hey, as long as we can make money from you by exporting this sort of rubbish... :razz:

For cypriot wine see Renton's post... :razz:

Hmm - once in the early 70's I went into an off licence and asked for "something cheap and nasty" and the bloke produced a bottle of "romanian Reisling" - "very cheap and very nasty sir - I guarantee it" and he was RIGHT!!! A terrible slur on Romania which does produce decent wines (tho as they point out most of them are exported to Jormany - where you never see any Romanian wine on sale - very odd that....)

In Malta - a bottle of "Special Reserve" - guaranteed to have been in the bottle for at least a weekend.......... god knows what the "ordinary" was like

In Austria in the late 90's a bottle of genuine anti freeze - it had a very odd smell, a sheen on the surface and ..............................

An English wine (at the vineyard no less) that had so much sugar in it it qualified as an Energy Drink

Tbf, I wouldn't touch anything from the balkans or Greece. Then again, increasingly I'm finding anything not from Australia/NZ or South America isn't worth bothering with, as it's likely to be poorer quality and more expensive. Except champagne, naturally.

France, Italy and Spain do amazing wines imo, even if French ones do tend to be a bit more austere than their New World counterparts. With Spanish ones, if you go for new/less well known regions (i.e. not Rioja mostly) there are tons of bargains too.

For cypriot wine see Renton's post... :(

The price issue is correct, the quality one is bollocks tbh

Quality in MY price range I meant. I can't afford 20 quid for a vintage Bordeaux. If it's less than a tenner, a new world wine is usually the best bet.

Anyway, what would a German know? :razz:

Well, associating German wine just with Blue Nun rather demonstrates the British ignorance than actually being a reflection of the quality. But hey, as long as we can make money from you by exporting this sort of rubbish... :razz:

Actually, it's probably a FACT the UK has the best wine in the world. Having no wine industry to speak of our own, we are unencumbered by the bias you continentals have. That's my experience anyway.

Edited by Renton

France, Italy and Spain do amazing wines imo, even if French ones do tend to be a bit more austere than their New World counterparts. With Spanish ones, if you go for new/less well known regions (i.e. not Rioja mostly) there are tons of bargains too.

I'll drink them in their respective countries, not here though.

I'll drink them in their respective countries, not here though.

Why? Out of interest.

Why? Out of interest.

Mainly ignorance I guess. I just feel there is better value to be had in new world wine. This is especially true of white wines, which I'm normally limited to because of Mrs Rents, unless I'm going to knock back a whole bottle myself. Mind, some of those mini-bottles they sell at super markets are canny.

Actually, it's probably a FACT the UK has the best wine in the world. Having no wine industry to speak of our own, we are unencumbered by the bias you continentals have. That's my experience anyway.

Well, that's really an unbiased opinion. :baby: (And doesn't really fit with my experience last summer)

And the least biased place regarding German wine is probably Germany. We love to criticise ourselves.

Why? Out of interest.

Mainly ignorance I guess. I just feel there is better value to be had in new world wine. This is especially true of white wines, which I'm normally limited to because of Mrs Rents, unless I'm going to knock back a whole bottle myself. Mind, some of those mini-bottles they sell at super markets are canny.

Righto, fair enough with the whites I guess (although I'm pretty ignorant myself on that score but I'm learning). I'm more into reds really. I had a lovely bottle of Pinot Gris and something else from New Zealand the other week though.

Well, that's really an unbiased opinion. :baby: (And doesn't really fit with my experience last summer)

And the least biased place regarding German wine is probably Germany. We love to criticise ourselves.

Btw, I read recently Austrian wine is really up and coming, doing extremely well at the last international wine awards. Honest!

Why? Out of interest.

:baby: I actually think that especially when it comes to white wine the "new world" has a lot of room for improvement. The vast majority are soulless Chardonnays spiced up with a touch of oak.

Btw, I read recently Austrian wine is really up and coming, doing extremely well at the last international wine awards. Honest!

Yep, they starting to pick up after the huge (glycol) scandals in the 80s. That probably one of the best effects the new world had in respect to continental wines, they all have to improve the quality to compete on the market because the export sales dropped dramatically.

Why? Out of interest.

:baby: I actually think that especially when it comes to white wine the "new world" has a lot of room for improvement. The vast majority are soulless Chardonnays spiced up with a touch of oak.

Well I guess I just like Soulless chardonnays then. Better than a bottle of vinegar from France or uber sweet pudding wine from Germany. Although I do like the odd French Chablis.

Outsnobbed by Isegrim. ;)

"Well, associating German wine just with Blue Nun rather demonstrates the British ignorance than actually being a reflection of the quality. But hey, as long as we can make money from you by exporting this sort of rubbish"

the problem for anyone outside Jormany is the labelling system -its bloody tough to figure out if you are looking at sommat good or just the product of half of C Germany TBH

"I'll take your word for it but have no intention of ever going to Romania, EU country or not."

then I can tell you you are missing out - its quite a pleasant, unspoiled place with some very good scenery, good & cheap food, wine and beer

"I'll take your word for it but have no intention of ever going to Romania, EU country or not."

then I can tell you you are missing out - its quite a pleasant, unspoiled place with some very good scenery, good & cheap food, wine and beer

That's as may be but it's probably about number 99 on the list on countries I'd like to go to.

That's as may be but it's probably about number 99 on the list on countries I'd like to go to.

A colleague goes a fair bit and brings back photographs. It looks seriously mediaval over there, a lot of places have no cars, electricity, or running water.

I like my luxury so sod that!

"Well, associating German wine just with Blue Nun rather demonstrates the British ignorance than actually being a reflection of the quality. But hey, as long as we can make money from you by exporting this sort of rubbish"

the problem for anyone outside Jormany is the labelling system -its bloody tough to figure out if you are looking at sommat good or just the product of half of C Germany TBH

Actually hardly anybody in Germany does understand it either. It's just absurd and I like the way Hugh Johnson slates it. Most problems of the German wine industry are self made and can be based on the stupid regulations.

It was funny when I was in Birmingham last summer they had the "German wine fest". People from the office actually seemed to like the wine that was there on offer and I just wondered what they had thought if there actually had been sold good German wines. But as long as the basic picture of German white wines is that of the sweet Blue nuns et al people will always be surprised because they don't really present the typical German white wine. I'll bring Renton a decent bottle of Riesling next time I'm up in Newcastle. My current favourite is from a small and new vineyard. Won prices in London and Paris last year and a bottle does only cost 5 Euro.

:angry: <------------- Cypriot wine

Generally i agree with you, but that wine made in Limassol (sp) was quite surprising, really good.

awesome song by maximo park :blink:

:blink: <------------- Cypriot wine

Generally i agree with you, but that wine made in Limassol (sp) was quite surprising, really good.

wines are always better when you are half cut already, the sun is shining, the birds are wandering by.............

and it costs 20p a glass

:angry: <------------- Cypriot wine

wines are always better when you are half cut already, the sun is shining, the birds are wandering by.............

and it costs 20p a glass

Very true, cept in my case my mate bought some home for me and my first taste of it was sat at home on a miserable wet evening :blink:

aye but it cost nowt and you didn't have to go out in the rain..................

Thats very true Rob :rolleyes:

And I'd like some more, so anyone travelling to Limmasol, please get me some of their locally made red wine please :blink: