Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

You've got to love people who take comedy far too seriously like.

To be fair Jonny, he's made a living by stealing other peoples material. Wouldn't you hold a musician or a novelist accountable for plagiarism? Why not a comedian?

End of the day comedy is a business like most others and stealing a joke is the same as stealing a song.

It isn't really though is it?

How is comedy business different from music business?

Like I said stealing a joke is the same as any other form of plagiarism.

The music business has more mass appeal. ;)

To be fair Jonny, he's made a living by stealing other peoples material. Wouldn't you hold a musician or a novelist accountable for plagiarism? Why not a comedian?

End of the day comedy is a business like most others and stealing a joke is the same as stealing a song.

The music business has more mass appeal. ;)

:(

The talent in comedy is more about the delivery than the content IMO.

The talent in comedy is more about the delivery than the content IMO.

That's a fair opinion, some music acts are very very good at delivering someone elses lines, Pavarotti off the top of my head. But he never claimed to write Nessum Dorma

Comedians are more closely tied to their performance than the music acts who don't write their own stuff. Some of the best comedy isn't performed by their author "In the thick of it" springs to

mind... but Stand up should be your own work.

Whey aye! That get out only works so many times before it just makes you look stupider Fish. For a man so into his comedy youre about as funny as cancer tbh

;)

Better watch yourself Fish.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2007/12/21/6...ag_thief_claims

The original allegation:

Ever wondered why the mild-mannered Noel Fielding tried to punch the compere at a charity gig a while ago? Because the compere was Peter Kay, who has finally been exposed as the most hated man on the comedy circuit. Stories have been reaching HM all week about the tricks Peter will pull in order to clamber to the top of the funnyman pole.

When he acts as compere, he deliberately tightens the microphone stand as much as he can, then he announces the next comedian and watches as the comic struggles with the stand, attempting to bring it back up to human height rather than Peter height, making themselves look like amateurs. He will also introduce acts with the words:

"Don't worry if the next act's shit, I'll be back on in a minute," a comment which made Fielding want to beat Peter's haircut right off his head.

He has paid damages to other acts as compensation for stealing their material, but mostly he fobs off the comedians who complain about his pilfering by telling them that he tells the jokes better anyway. This has led to the comedy circuit giving him the nickname 'The Gag-Pie' as he steals anything comedic that glitters.

Edited by ewerk

My point is, it was when he did it. It was very funny. But yes, 8 years of hearing the same jokes takes the shine off them. Im sure this tour will be full of new material though

Love Phoenix Nights, but he's done nowt to suggest he's got any other strings to his bow. Max and paddy was shit and 'crap pop' can only go so far.

I'm sure he'll mention "garlic bread" and push lots of merchandise. A lass at work said it was £44 for a ticket ;)

His stand up had become catchphrase comedy as unimaginative as Little Britain.

Also, it was embarrassing watching him hawk tickets on Children in Need, and pushing his merchandise on the promise of £1 from each item going to charity. The audience didn't know whether to applaud or boo.

Im struggling to see Peter Kay as the cunt Fish is portraying him as like. The fat bloke from Bolton, who took 5 years off to spend with his family, who is still best mates with Paddy and that lass off Corrie. The bloke that has made a shit load of money for charity and is about as far removed from a 'superstar' as you can get. Just dont see it?

Im struggling to see Peter Kay as the cunt Fish is portraying him as like. The fat bloke from Bolton, who took 5 years off to spend with his family, who is still best mates with Paddy and that lass off Corrie. The bloke that has made a shit load of money for charity and is about as far removed from a 'superstar' as you can get. Just dont see it?

The bitterness oozing from Fish with regards to P.Kay is very similar to yours regarding the iphone, does this clarify things for you?

My point is, it was when he did it. It was very funny. But yes, 8 years of hearing the same jokes takes the shine off them. Im sure this tour will be full of new material though

Love Phoenix Nights, but he's done nowt to suggest he's got any other strings to his bow. Max and paddy was shit and 'crap pop' can only go so far.

I'm sure he'll mention "garlic bread" and push lots of merchandise. A lass at work said it was £44 for a ticket ;)

His stand up had become catchphrase comedy as unimaginative as Little Britain.

Also, it was embarrassing watching him hawk tickets on Children in Need, and pushing his merchandise on the promise of £1 from each item going to charity. The audience didn't know whether to applaud or boo.

:(

That's pretty much it like. Loved his stand-up but, like you say, it's never changed. Loved 'That Peter Kay Thing' and 'Phoenix Nights' but 'Max and Paddy' was canny shite. I've heard it said that Dave Spikey was the real talent although he's done nothing of note on his own either. Maybe they should get back toegther. Or maybe they're both one-trick ponies.

Teetotaller as well iirc.

Neil Fitzmaurice spoke of his dissatisfaction with Kay taking sole credit when he left their names off the script book for Phoenix Nights. “I can only presume they took out all the bits Neil (sic) and I wrote,” Fitzmaurice said. Kay was also nominated for a book prize alone. Fitzmaurice added

"The only way I can explain it is that people are affected by fame in different ways. It was basically about a lack of respect, a lack of recognition for me and Dave."

The bitterness oozing from Fish with regards to P.Kay is very similar to yours regarding the iphone, does this clarify things for you?

But it amuses me that everyone keeps arguing back, More money than sense tbh ;)