Cooking

Gemmill

About a 40 minute drive away so that'll be a no-go. I'd be able to get them locally like, but I've got the shopping getting delivered so if I can avoid going out tomorrow it's a bonus, I'll be zombie-like anyway - saturdays are wank after a friday nightshift.

Always worth the little bit extra effort to get fresh ingredients. For a few broad beans though its probably not worth it since there are turnips, leaks, carrots and peas. If you cut the lamb into the right size and follow the timings exactly (i'd go 2 minutes but definitely no more than 3 each side) it will be perfect, dont worry.

If i was going to the make the effort to cook that lamb, i'd want a nice bottle of red. The problem with the recipe is he says use a light young red like a beaujolais to make the sauce. Thats probably because it makes a better sauce and doesnt over-power the lamb which is easily done.

However, I'd want a heavier red than that to drink with the meal but not too strong. Cotes du Rhone/ Crozes Hermitage/ Bourgogne etc. If you cant source by region, get a Merlot or a Cabernet from anywhere.

:nufc:

Cheers I'll keep you updated, with an image diary complete with man's lager in-shot to prove I'm not drinking the wine.

Sign of a real chef that man!

530748_L1.jpg

*Fish mightn't agree*

Pipe down Primate Paw!

I bought a bottle of Merlot wine in lidl yesterday, 4 euro :nufc: Was staannnnnnkin.

Fuckin hell Kev, you're living in an occupied country. Fucking euro's? Get yer own fuckin currency man. Tell yer potato eating comrades to man the fuck up!

However, I'd want a heavier red than that to drink with the meal but not too strong. Cotes du Rhone/ Crozes Hermitage/ Bourgogne etc. If you cant source by region, get a Merlot or a Cabernet from anywhere.

Looks a lovely recipe. Might have to try it out myself. Try an Austrailian cabernet, it should work lovely with the lamb.

Hubby bought home a large bag of fresh fish last night so I will have to cook that today :nufc: A customer is a Brixham fisherman and gives hubby a bag of fish caught that morning. I think its got sole, monk fish and the fish with the orange spotty skin (is that Plaice)? I'm not very up on fish I admit, I normally stick to salmon and smoked haddock. It is gutted and headless but I'm not keen on even trimming and washing it, turns my stomach slightly :crylaughin:

However once prepared I'm fine, I shall simply fry it gently and serve with new potatoes and minted peas.

Hubby bought home a large bag of fresh fish last night so I will have to cook that today :crylaughin: A customer is a Brixham fisherman and gives hubby a bag of fish caught that morning. I think its got sole, monk fish and the fish with the orange spotty skin (is that Plaice)? I'm not very up on fish I admit, I normally stick to salmon and smoked haddock. It is gutted and headless but I'm not keen on even trimming and washing it, turns my stomach slightly :lol:

However once prepared I'm fine, I shall simply fry it gently and serve with new potatoes and minted peas.

Make a fish stew with garlic, red oninon and tarragon vinegar/white wine you donk. :nufc:

Colour the fish in a pan with olive oil, garlic and a bayleaf for a few minutes add loads of freshly ground black pepper.

Chuck it in a big tall pan (leave most of the oil behind but pick out and add the garlic).

Cover with boiled water, half a veggie stock cube, glass of white wine and tarrragon or white wine vinegar (one/two teaspoons).

Half a lemon juice.

Add fav veg diced small so they go a bit mushy.

Simmer gently for 35/40 mins. Fish don't need much.

Serve with pots or a bed of rice.

Alex if you're doing it add two teaspoons of chilli powder or crushed/diced fresh chillies and corriander (right at the end).

Edited by Park Life

I bought a bottle of Merlot wine in lidl yesterday, 4 euro :nufc: Was staannnnnnkin.

Fuckin hell Kev, you're living in an occupied country. Fucking euro's? Get yer own fuckin currency man. Tell yer potato eating comrades to man the fuck up!

I hopped the border for it

Parky-Thanks that sounds very tasty. I did make a fish pie last time which was lovely but everyone said it was a waste of expensive fish which should be eaten simply!

If you have grade a soft white fish just grill with lemon and salt.

Personally I like getting all the fishy flaovour out into a more homely scenario ie a stew or a light fish pie or curry.

Hubby bought home a large bag of fresh fish last night so I will have to cook that today :nufc: A customer is a Brixham fisherman and gives hubby a bag of fish caught that morning. I think its got sole, monk fish and the fish with the orange spotty skin (is that Plaice)? I'm not very up on fish I admit, I normally stick to salmon and smoked haddock. It is gutted and headless but I'm not keen on even trimming and washing it, turns my stomach slightly :crylaughin:

Monk fish was chucked back in the sea as useless until Fanny Craddock used it to make fake scampi. One of the most expensive fish to buy now.

Try it diced breadcrumbed and deep fried ala Craddock style. Or wrap in parma ham (streaky bacon will do actually) and fry on outside to brown then oven for 10 mins - crispy outside and soft fish inside. Make sure you get rid of the sinew on the monkfish or it just curls up as it cooks.

SOLE/PLAICE is as nice as a simple grill with a knob of butter squeeze of lemon juice.

Sounds nice that UM. Our lass is the fish cook and she tends to cook them whole with heads and eyes intact, which does my nut in a bit.

We had some skate during the week which was really nice. It's all about knowing how to cut the fish to avoid the bones. She did the skate with fried onions and carrots with white wine, thyme and bay leafs.