Cooking

Gemmill

nono much nicer than chips, i'm assuming their another irish thing,

thick slices of potato in a batter and fried.

Scallops

really unhealthy like but playing footy 4 times this week and not heading out tomorrow drinking so feck it.

Can't say they've flown through my culinary radar over here before but imagine they're a tasty treat like .

Quite literally a battered tea.

Speaking of chicken - made this other day and was tremendous. Whole curried baked chicken by the master that is Madhur Jaffrey.

Make no mistake - its a process driven affair, but the rewards are really worth it.

Definately worth paying the bit extra for a free-range chuck given the effort involved too.

A proper knicker-dropper.

http://eyeshootphotosandfood.blogspot.com/...inium-foil.html

Need to use up the spinach I bought on steak & blowjob day so I think I'll make creamed spinach again. It won't be as good without the fillet steak, as I used the steak juices + butter & garlic to wilt it in before adding the cream, but I'm sure it'll still be ace.

Going through a Gino D'Acampo phase at the moment, and so it's asparagus and ricotta tarts for dinner when the girlfriend comes to visit. The man has talent! I bought his book, Buonissimo! and am getting some great ideas!

Oh and lest I forget, I mentioned my homemade chilli jam earlier...needless to say it's possibly the greatest thing I have ever made from just winging it. The buttery, spicy and sweet smell of a batch as it's simmering is simply beautiful. [/Nigel Slater]

Here we go:

Strawberry and chilli jam (makes 750ml - the size of a big jar of Branston pickle handily enough)

2 cloves garlic (minced)

A generous knob of butter

6 medium-sized red chillies

1 large onion

420g strawberries

450g jam sugar

50ml white wine vinegar

Salt & pepper

- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onions over a medium heat with the garlic until they're soft.

- Mash the strawberries and add them to the pan, then stir in the salt and pepper and vinegar.

- Chop the chillies finely and add them to the pan. I deseeded them but included about a third of the seeds to give the jam a little bit more of a kick. Obviously the more seeds included, the hotter it'll be.

- Once everything is all stirred together, add in the sugar, warming the pan gently to help the sugar dissolve. At this point, you just want the mixture to be warm, not bubbling.

- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to a rapid boil for 4 minutes.

- Turn the heat down and simmer gently. The longer you simmer, the thicker and stickier the jam will be. The best way to guage how the jam will set is to place a saucer in the freezer. Take a small amount of the jam and place it on the cold surface. If it goes gloopy then it's ready. Ballpark figure between 5-10 minutes I'd say, but I did mine for 20 because I like it super sticky.

Make sure you have a sterilised jar handy (washing it out with boilling water will suffice), I used a 750ml branston pickle jar that I had handy. Considering I'd never really made jam before, this turned out incredibly well. Goes well with cream cheese and crackers or with salads. Even spooned a dollop on a frittatta last night.

If you overcook it too much and it's too sticky for you, add a touch of boilling water to the amount you remove from the jar and stir it around a bit, should make it more runny without spoilling it.

Been for a meal for my cousin Paddy's birthday

One of them posh restaurants with the set menu's but it fucking lovely

had king prawns in garlic and chilli to start then pork slices in dijonase mustard and black pudding with vegetables

well worth the money, will be going there again

I'm doing a roast chicken this weekend. SPANISH STYLE! AIEEEEE! PRACATAN!

We cooked one on Sunday using a roasting bag, best chicken ever!

I use them all the time, I then cut the corner of the bag and use the juices to make the gravy, probably not very healthy but nice.

Got some of gemma's ginger burgers resting in the fridge

I use them all the time, I then cut the corner of the bag and use the juices to make the gravy, probably not very healthy but nice.

What you reckon?

My brother did Sunday lunch for the family the other week.

Maple syrup roast chicken- absolutely sublime.

Season the chicken, slather it in maple syrup, roast upside down and baste often. (turn it over for last 20 mans to brown the skin)

The gravy was fan-fucking-tastic.

What you reckon?

Done the six, had one last night and will have another one tonight. Very nice, I didn't add the crackers mind, do they make much difference?

Im not cooking this evening as we are going out to eat later on. I plan to have the liver and onions with bacon, peas, mash and gravy <_<

Edited by Toonraider

Ants pizza and quick garlic bread.

Yummy yum.

Pizza AND Garlic bread? <_<:icon_lol:

Just had the munchies and was fancying something garlicy.

Ciabatta sliced in half, grilled on both sides.

Meanwhile, 100g of butter or marg in a bowl, 3 chopped up garlic cloves and chopped parsley mixed in a bowl to make garlic butter.

Piping hot ciabattas smeared with garlic butter, voila!

A bit too much butter crammed into the holes so too garlicy, hence the less garlicy pizza!

Did some home-made (veggie) burgers that were actually canny nice last night. Might do a spicy tomato and veg pasta bake later.