Cooking

Gemmill

I was watching something for the weekend, and they were talking about roast dinners.

Paddy McGuinness seemed shocked that the rest of them looked at him like he was mental when he said he had mashed potatoes with his.

Is this an English thing or what? how can ya not have mash with a roast dinner!

You'd get exiled in ireland for that

I dont do mash with a roast Ant, its just too much to eat! I always do three veggies though and either yorkshire puds or stuffing. Sometimes pigs in blankets too. My mum in law makes a spotted Dick with her roast, I thought that was weird when I first had it, but it does go a treat with a roast. I just always assumed that what you had with custard for a dessert, you only need a tiny amount though else you're way too stuffed to move :lol:

Pardon the ignorance, but what the hell is that?

Its a suet pudding with currants/sultanas in :razz: You can make it steamed or baked. Its normally served as a sweet with custard. Didnt you have it at school?

No, my grandma made it, but I never knew it to be called a spotted Dick, it was just called fruit cake, or that's how I remembered it as. I didn't go to school in England you see, born in Newcastle but a transient is what you could call me, but you learn something new everyday.

I was watching something for the weekend, and they were talking about roast dinners.

Paddy McGuinness seemed shocked that the rest of them looked at him like he was mental when he said he had mashed potatoes with his.

Is this an English thing or what? how can ya not have mash with a roast dinner!

You'd get exiled in ireland for that

I dont do mash with a roast Ant, its just too much to eat! I always do three veggies though and either yorkshire puds or stuffing. Sometimes pigs in blankets too. My mum in law makes a spotted Dick with her roast, I thought that was weird when I first had it, but it does go a treat with a roast. I just always assumed that what you had with custard for a dessert, you only need a tiny amount though else you're way too stuffed to move :lol:

Pardon the ignorance, but what the hell is that?

Its a suet pudding with currants/sultanas in :razz: You can make it steamed or baked. Its normally served as a sweet with custard. Didnt you have it at school?

No, my grandma made it, but I never knew it to be called a spotted Dick, it was just called fruit cake, or that's how I remembered it as. I didn't go to school in England you see, born in Newcastle but a transient is what you could call me, but you learn something new everyday.

Ahhh well it is also sometimes known as Currant Duff...just to makes things more confusing :icon_lol:

It must be an Irish thing, we ran out of potatoes once so we're packing them away as often as we can in case it happens again.

i couldn't imagine not having mash with one,

it's like beans on a cooked breakfast <_<

At first i thought you meant beans on a cooked brekki was wrong, then I read it again! You can keep your mash Ant, I'll stick to baked parsnips MMMMMM

I do mean it's wrong, it's minging.

i'm sort of spoilt by our cooked breakfasts though, potatobread, soda bread etc has fried bread beat hands down.

:razz: With a cooked brekkie? Ive never had that, is that similar to Hash browns maybe? You sure like your spuds there :lol:

You've got to have baked beans with brekkie though :icon_lol:

umm not quite, it's like a "tatty scone" if you've had those in scotland, honestly it's better than soda bread even.

Can't believe you've never had it, you need some posted to ya!

stock-photo-slices-organic-irish-potato-bread-and-bacon-49040143.jpg

Potato bread

(i'm going to the canteen for bacon and such now...playing football at lunch though so its ok)

No, I've never tried it. Looks good though. Send me some!!!!!!!!! :lol:

umm not quite, it's like a "tatty scone" if you've had those in scotland, honestly it's better than soda bread even.

Potato scones are fucking great. Its one of the things our lass imported back to France, tells her mates about them. We have ours done from the proper old school scottish recipe. Me mam does them on a hot plate then when they are cooled off later on you whack em in with the fry-up. I look forward to it every time i go home.

Blimey this thread :razz: thats another thing to try. I see soda bread but always assumed it would be unpleasant, I'll give it a whirl.

I went shopping at Sainburys on Monday and it cost me 140 quid :lol: Food has really gone up :icon_lol:

Blimey this thread :razz: thats another thing to try. I see soda bread but always assumed it would be unpleasant, I'll give it a whirl.

I went shopping at Sainburys on Monday and it cost me 140 quid :lol: Food has really gone up :icon_lol:

You can find potato scones in the shops but nowhere near as good as homemade.

That settles it then, I will try my own.

Blimey this thread <_< thats another thing to try. I see soda bread but always assumed it would be unpleasant, I'll give it a whirl.

I went shopping at Sainburys on Monday and it cost me 140 quid :razz: Food has really gone up :icon_lol:

That settles it then, I will try my own.

I think the hairy bikers did an Irish fry up on one of their shows when they we're over here the recipes for potatobread etc are bound to be on that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/theulsterfry_92143 there ya go, i think you can find the video of them making it at a castle down the road from me on youtube.

Ahh excellent thanks. 'The Ulster Fry' :lol: And no sign of a Bean anywhere :icon_lol:

stock-photo-slices-organic-irish-potato-bread-and-bacon-49040143.jpg

Potato bread

(i'm going to the canteen for bacon and such now...playing football at lunch though so its ok)

Is potato bread the same as potato cakes?

I love them, got some in going to have them later

Take your pick

The wonders of google :lol:

Cheers, just expect you to know these things :razz:

I was googling and I think the common one seems to be 3 tbsp olive oli, 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper.

I'll give it a bash.

Nice big bed of wild rocket, gently caressed in the above dressing and topped with a gentlemans portion of smoked haddock. Half a granary bun on the side for company.

Absolutely lushville.

Just waiting for my jalapeno cheese rolls to rise, then making some roast butternut squash with roast red pepper soup.

No Jamie required. :D

Edited by trophyshy