Cooking

Gemmill

Those roast veg will form the basis for a smashing winter soup, too.

Aye well any tips hoy up. :jesuswept:

Having gorged on the wifes sub standard fayre for 25 years (prays to god she never reads this) Im now just starting to really get into all of this.

Once again my simple yorkshire recipe produce mammoth puds, Roasties are a doddle and the only real thing I need to master, roast wise, is the gravy.

Our lass it to keen to chuck the granules in which often results in a thick bland gravy.

You should, both of you. We can be a cocktail sausage tag team.

They're lush though, all innuendo aside. Literally the only thing I've ever actually cooked out of "Nigella Kitchen", so a bit of a waste of a book token all told, but still. :jesuswept:

Re. Roasting veg CT.

I'm guessing you like potato wedges etc?

Make your own, they are really easy.

Cut your spuds into wedges

Put them in a bowl

Add your herbs/spices

Add some oil, enough to coat them , just

Then bung em in the oven.

Rosemary,thyme and sage all roast well.

Garlic is beautiful roasted too- leave the cloves whole, and don't peel it. The flesh pops straight out when it's done and is beautifully mild and mellow.

You should, both of you. We can be a cocktail sausage tag team.

They're lush though, all innuendo aside. Literally the only thing I've ever actually cooked out of "Nigella Kitchen", so a bit of a waste of a book token all told, but still. :jesuswept:

The Tit Maiden's Chocolate Guiness Cake and Chocolate Cheesecake are getting done for Christmas.

Fantastic

Re. Roasting veg CT.

I'm guessing you like potato wedges etc?

Make your own, they are really easy.

Cut your spuds into wedges

Put them in a bowl

Add your herbs/spices

Add some oil, enough to coat them , just

Then bung em in the oven.

Rosemary,thyme and sage all roast well.

Garlic is beautiful roasted too- leave the cloves whole, and don't peel it. The flesh pops straight out when it's done and is beautifully mild and mellow.

Also try roasting sweet potato. Cut into wedges, add to a baking tray, grate a couple of garlic cloves over them and then drizzle in oil.

For those who like cooking from the North East, I'd also suggest you check ouy this shop - mmm

made croissants this weekend.

fairly easy, turned out well.... takes a fucking age which i didn't know till i had bought all the stuff to make them, 2 day fecking process of chilling and rolling pastry

Take it you made the pastry from scratch?

Fucking mentalist!

Watched Jamie Olivers Christmas program yesterday and this morning oversaw my six year old making his pear pancakes drizzled with honey and cream.

Vey easy and very nice.

Recipe was

1 cup of self raising flour

1 cup of milk

1 egg

1 pinch of salt.

all chucked in a bowl and mixed together

Then grate in 1 pear or fruit of your choice.

Knob of butter in a pan and away you go.

NB Note flour used is self raising and not plain as is usually the case in pancackes.

Turned out lovely

Watched Jamie Olivers Christmas program yesterday and this morning oversaw my six year old making his pear pancakes drizzled with honey and cream.

Vey easy and very nice.

Recipe was

1 cup of self raising flour

1 cup of milk

1 egg

1 pinch of salt.

all chucked in a bowl and mixed together

Then grate in 1 pear or fruit of your choice.

Knob of butter in a pan and away you go.

NB Note flour used is self raising and not plain as is usually the case in pancackes.

Turned out lovely

separate the egg and whip the whites before folding into the rest of the mix for much bigger better pancakes.

• 1 month later...

Chilly out today, so thought I'd make this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/scotchbroth_8116

Absolute doddle and the results are lurrrrrvely. I chucked in a parsnip for a bit of sweetness and used savoy cabbage instead of kale (because a Tesco Express in Lewisham is going to have kale).

You can use any kind of "soup mix" thing for the dried ingredients, doesn't have to be exactly as prescribed.

Feels a bit daft recommending a recipe where the method is basically "put some stuff in a pot; wait", but there you go. :lol:

First thing that sprang to mind when you said "mince" was this, but then I assume your mince is beef/pork which wouldn't work as well. Still worth bookmarking anyway because it's full of win, as I believe all the young nerds are saying:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/461642/keema-with-peas

I'll do that. :lol:

But I will chuck loads of corriander on it and no one can stop me.

Meenz did you actually use lambstock for that or did you just use cubes/beef stock?

maybe make this at the weekend!

I'm sure it'd be tons better with the real deal, but I just used lamb stock cubes aye. Didn't put in as many as the good people at Oxo want you to ("1 cube to 190ml of water" gets a bit daft when you're making up 2.4 litres of the stuff), I think I used 7 or so and that was fine. You want to taste the veg as well as the stock/salt after all...

Meenz did you actually use lambstock for that or did you just use cubes/beef stock?

maybe make this at the weekend!

I'm sure it'd be tons better with the real deal, but I just used lamb stock cubes aye. Didn't put in as many as the good people at Oxo want you to ("1 cube to 190ml of water" gets a bit daft when you're making up 2.4 litres of the stuff), I think I used 7 or so and that was fine. You want to taste the veg as well as the stock/salt after all...

If you use the juice from the mince the stock ain't that important. I always use a dark veggie stock cube anyway.

I got the 20 min meals app (Jamie Oliver) for my phone. Only made one thing so far but it was fantastic. Tuna and Tomato Rigatoni. Let me know if you want the recipie and Ill stick it on. And yes, it only took 20 mins to make :lol: