Cooking

Gemmill

What's the craic with cooking stuff from frozen? That spicy sausage stew that I mentioned is now sat on the bench but the sausages are like ice-cold erections and are never gonna be defrosted in time for me to have tea.

Can I just stick them in the microwave/pan and heat until ready to eat, or might I die?

What's the craic with cooking stuff from frozen? That spicy sausage stew that I mentioned is now sat on the bench but the sausages are like ice-cold erections and are never gonna be defrosted in time for me to have tea.

Can I just stick them in the microwave/pan and heat until ready to eat, or might I die?

The microwave should have a defrost setting, or use 30% power for about 5 minutes, Then reheat once it's defrosted. If you try and melt it in a pan then eat it you will probably die.

Alternatively leave it in the fridge to defrost overnight and have it tomorrow.

Nice one thank you. I've never understood how a microwave defrost setting is any different to just heating it any other way, but will do that.

Fuck me, its not exactly nuclear physics...

oh hold on, maybe it is ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Lost 6lbs this week at weight watchers so spurred on went looking for ingredients to make some nice Chinese dish.

Couldnt decide so basically bought a large bag of frozen stir fried veg and 5 sachets of Blue Dragon sauces.

Hoi Sin

Sweet Chilli and Garlic

Oysters and Mushroom

Black Bean

Chow mein

The idea was to make five small batches, pick the tastiest and make a family portion for tea.

They all tasted like shit so ended making a home made chineesy stir fry using

Peppers, Onion and corgette (just what was left in the fridge) stir fried with chinese 5 spices, ginger, soy sauce and a dollop of sweet chilli dipping sauce.

Needless to say it was far tastier than the Blue Dragon stuff but not perfected enough for tea so something else will suffice.

Anyway, im now scouring for any recipes or reccomendations of sauces to make home made chinese food. I am already covered on the curry front because I use Mayflower curry powder which is IDENTICAL to proper takeaway curry.

Would ideally like to find a great chop suey.

mayflower.png

Edited by Christmas Tree

You managed to buy pretty much every Blue Dragon sauce except the one I actually like. :) That's the Szechuan Tomato one. The rest are fairly rank, so it's odd that that one should be much nicer (IMHO anyway). Then again, that's probably because it's so simple and therefore can't be too hard to make yourself...

This is gonna sound stupid...

Cooked '21 day matured' steak yesterday.

It smelled, well, like cow. It tasted the same. You know that taste you get in your nose/mouth on a farm? It was like that(this sounds stupid).

Anyway-is this normal? I've never had 21 day matured steak before, and maybe my taste-buds are too common for such fine meat.

You managed to buy pretty much every Blue Dragon sauce except the one I actually like. :) That's the Szechuan Tomato one. The rest are fairly rank, so it's odd that that one should be much nicer (IMHO anyway). Then again, that's probably because it's so simple and therefore can't be too hard to make yourself...

Szechuan is the baby.

If by 'it tasted like cow' you meant 'it tasted like beef' then i reckon you are alright. If on the other hand by 'it tasted like cow' you meant 'what cows smell like when you go near farms and that' then not ok.

this. I fucked it out.

I wondered if I was just an uneducated lout, who wouldn't know good food if it was 'mooing' at him from the plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking Merangues are doing my fucking nut in

2445_MEDIUM.jpg

Have loads of FREE free range eggs from my chickens and discovered that meringue shells, whilst be a nice sweet snack are brilliant when your dieting because they are so low in fat / sugar etc.

Tried about three different recipes but all seem to go brown (burn) before they set?????

Has anyone successfully made these and if so how. :jesuswept:

Hello friend

I can cook in a bit.

I've got quite good at making curries. Not doing some chicken with sauce from a jar or owt, doing proper curries from scratch. I don't really follow recipies now, I just chuck all sorts in. Get a few fresh spices/herbs (like Corriander) and its very easy to make a really nice curry.

I can do stuff like Chilli Con Carne as well, and have tackled a Sunday dinner on a few occasions with success, and basic stuff like sausage and mash, its hard to go wrong there.