Cooking

Gemmill

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Slightly concerned about raw egg

:lol:
When you stir the eggs in to the noodles, the residual heat cooks the eggs whilst keeping them liquid. 

Do you not eat soft boiled or poached eggs, Rocky Balblubber? 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Call me radical but I'm going to suggest that, in the long run, allowing yourself pasta and other things in moderation is healthier than denying yourself, eating unsatisfactory alternatives and getting so depressed at your diet that you keep cracking and ending up hoying three duck pizzas or a vat of supermarket curry sauce down your neck just to feel alive. :dunno: 

Meowwolf GIF by PIZZA PALS PLAYZONE

47 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

you just need to burn off more than you put in and eat a balanced nutrient-rich diet. it ain't rocket science.

these fad diets are never sustainable - you prove this perfectly as you swing from cabbage carbonara one week to lamb kofta pizza the next

Of course that’s perfectly common sense except for the fact that most people can’t / won’t do that. Lots of us are now stuck in front of driving wheels or computers so miss out burning for most of the day.

Sure there’s the gym or home weights or running but that “lifestyle” doesn’t suit a lot of people for a lot of reasons.

If it was so easy, I’d be in size 32 jeans instead of 34.

Also when you talk about “fad”, most of the average joes diet today is one big “fad” that never existed for the vast majority of human existence.

Sure I’ll fall off the wagon every now and then, but most of us do :lol:  (And it’s enjoyable).

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
When you stir the eggs in to the noodles, the residual heat cooks the eggs whilst keeping them liquid. 

Do you not eat soft boiled or poached eggs, Rocky Balblubber? 

Very good :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Very good :lol: 

Get the nicest eggs you can find. 

Burford Browns are available at Asda, British Blues at Aldi. 

You want orange yolks, not pale yellow ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Get the nicest eggs you can find. 

Burford Browns are available at Asda, British Blues at Aldi. 

You want orange yolks, not pale yellow ones. 

Suppose I’ll just have to shell out for the good ones. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Of course that’s perfectly common sense except for the fact that most people can’t / won’t do that. Lots of us are now stuck in front of driving wheels or computers so miss out burning for most of the day.

Sure there’s the gym or home weights or running but that “lifestyle” doesn’t suit a lot of people for a lot of reasons.

Also when you talk about “fad”, most of the average joes diet today is one big “fad” that never existed for the vast majority of human existence.

Sure I’ll fall off the wagon every now and then, but most of us do :lol:  (And it’s enjoyable).

A well balanced nutritious diet isn't a fad. True, it's not been an accessible thing for most of human history but then again we now live on average to our 70s or 80s rather than our 20s and 30s in previous eras. Just use less pasta and force yourself to exercise more. Doesn't have to be the gym (fuck that imo), just go for some walks with inclines, swim, whatever. Also, you appear to have more free time than anybosy on this board for your various hobbies, including fad diets ironically, so don't give me this you havent got the time nonsense. Thing is, ultimately a good diet cannot completely compensate for a sedentary lifestyle anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renton said:

70s or 80s rather than our 20s and 30s in previous eras

This is a bit of a fallacy, btw. 
Life expectancy was lower because more infants died, skewing the figure downwards. 

Plenty of people lived to old age in the past. 

( That’s not to say we aren’t living longer now - we are). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

This is a bit of a fallacy, btw. 
Life expectancy was lower because more infants died, skewing the figure downwards. 

Plenty of people lived to old age in the past. 

( That’s not to say we aren’t living longer now - we are). 

Well sorry for not fully reporting the distributional data! I'd imagine social class had a bigger effect in the past too, I'd be old for a peasent even if I survived childhood. Teeth worn out, body fucked from manual work, and malnutrition. I was on a historic tour of Newcastle this week with my work and the historian guy said that the person who shovelled shit from the castle keep had a relatively cushy job. A few more years of this government and we'll find out I guess. ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

i'm behind a computer most of my working day. a healthy lifestyle is a choice, just as fad diets are. in my experience one of those choices is sustainable. 

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

A well balanced nutritious diet isn't a fad. True, it's not been an accessible thing for most of human history but then again we now live on average to our 70s or 80s rather than our 20s and 30s in previous eras. Just use less pasta and force yourself to exercise more. Doesn't have to be the gym (fuck that imo), just go for some walks with inclines, swim, whatever. Also, you appear to have more free time than anybosy on this board for your various hobbies, including fad diets ironically, so don't give me this you havent got the time nonsense. Thing is, ultimately a good diet cannot completely compensate for a sedentary lifestyle anyway. 

I don’t disagree with you or Gloom as to what the ideal situation is, but very few people live that ideal lifestyle. (Just look at diabetes around the world).

I was like a racing snake til I hit 40 and sat behind a wheel. 

I’m never going to get into exercise. Just the way it is. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I don’t disagree with you or Gloom as to what the ideal situation is, but very few people live that ideal lifestyle. (Just look at diabetes around the world).

Honestly, all you need to do is move. Renton is right - you don’t need a gym membership if it isn’t your thing. Just go for a walk while listening to a Newcastle podcast. A 60 minute walk a day, and calorie deficit (or maintenance, if you’re happy with your waistline), will produce similar or better results than keto because you can keep it going all year around. And you can eat the foods you enjoy, if you’re sensible about junk food, and avoid having to consume the weird-ass slop you posted above. 

But look, if keto works and you enjoy it then all good. It just looks like a miserable existence to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

The fucking arrogance to think that your inability to stick to a normal input/output is the norm.

I know more people who do some form of exercise than don't. I know more people who think about what the eat, than don't. I know more people who openly take the piss out of fad diets, than take part in them. In fact the only people who lurch from one lunatic idea to the next, are fatties. And the reason they do that is because they honestly believe there's a quick fix out there that's easier than just eating in moderation and exercising a bit.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, should know by now that the absolute, cast iron guaranteed way to healthily lose weight is to burn off more than you take in. So even if it is the national norm, you've been on here long enough, with enough people who consider what they input/ouput, that you should have fucking learned by now.

I hate the way you think.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

You've got a fucking dog. A retriever too isn't it? How is that not getting 4 to 5 miles walk a day which would be plenty exercise. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

In fact the only people who lurch from one lunatic idea to the next, are fatties. And the reason they do that is because they honestly believe there's a quick fix out there that's easier than just eating in moderation and exercising a bit.

This is bang on the money, like. Fad diets are on the prey for people like that - who think there's a quick fix that's easy. It's definitely not. In the 2nd lockdown I was determined I was going to lose weight and did the following:

3 sets of 20x Ab Crunches per day
3 sets of 20x Glute Bridges per day
Cut out alcohol Monday to Thursday - drinking my usual amounts Friday to Sunday.

Ate 3 balance meals per day (none of this Keto/Atkins/whatever else bollocks!)

Made sure calories in < calories out. You don't need to count the calories for this, it's fairly evident if you're being a piggy bastard

Most of all be disciplined to stick with it every day, no matter how shit you're feeling.

In 4 weeks I lost 24lb. You don't need to do the crunches / glutes  - as Gemmill said, take the dog for a 4-5 mile walk daily would be enough in terms of exercise. It's about having a plan and sticking to it. And not expecting results overnight.

• Like 2