Cooking

Gemmill

Much difference (honestly) between sauteed cabbage and boiled.

Tastier. My mam always prefers it steamed mind, but I like it when it starts to caramelise a bit. If you do it with butter, then add a bit of water, the liquid reduces while you cook it, leaving a nice sauce.

@@ToojSeems you, like me, have been hitting the Port over Christmas.I found the perfect recipe to shift all the left over boozehttp://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/poultry-and-game/venison/venison-braised-in-guinness-and-port-with-pickled-walnuts.htmlI'm going to use beef instead of venison this Sunday, otherwise this is a "clear the cupboard" recipe. :lol:I am fucking salivating.

So, in finest CT style, used chestnut shrooms instead of walnuts, but stick with the venison, bought from Blagdon.

I also did some thyme and wholegrain mustard dumplings, which I added for the last 30 minutes , turning the oven up from Gas1 to Gas 4.

Absolutely, unbelievably gorgeous.

Salt and vinegar crisp sandwich with plenty of butter, warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds for gooey butter crisp goodness. 9.5/10.

Sounds lush.

VOMIT.gif

Looks like something out of a horror movie.

PaddockLad tomorrow............

2213891.jpg

Pork shoulder served up with cabbage sauteed in cider, sauteed potatoes, honey roasted carrots and homemade apple sauce.

7.2% cider from my last trip through Shepton Mallet so I'll be a little sozzled by the time the roast is done. :D

We had roast 'Pintade' for lunch. It's a Guinea Fowl, reared in the Loire. Like Partridge really. Butter, olive oil, salt and pepper. Glass of water and glass of Friday's Chablis in there too. Basted every 10 mins (dries out easily) and served with roast pots done in duck fat. The gravy was excellent on account of the white wine I reckon. Served with a premier cru red Bourgogne, which I drank all myself :lol: Last treat / feast after 2 weeks off work and to keep my spirits up for tomorrow.

We had roast 'Pintade' for lunch. It's a Guinea Fowl, reared in the Loire. Like Partridge really. Butter, olive oil, salt and pepper. Glass of water and glass of Friday's Chablis in there too. Basted every 10 mins (dries out easily) and served with roast pots done in duck fat. The gravy was excellent on account of the white wine I reckon. Served with a premier cru red Bourgogne, which I drank all myself :lol: Last treat / feast after 2 weeks off work and to keep my spirits up for tomorrow.

I've had partridge once and couldn't get away with it. The presentation might have had something to do with it though - it was put on the plate, on it's back, feet still attached and sticking straight out, with what can only be described as a thatch of herbs sticking out of it's back eye. It had been humiliated more so than cooked.

Anyway, I've just made this:

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/14/thai-yellow-curry-with-prawns/

Paleo, bitches. Absolutely class.

I've had partridge once and couldn't get away with it. The presentation might have had something to do with it though - it was put on the plate, on it's back, feet still attached and sticking straight out, with what can only be described as a thatch of herbs sticking out of it's back eye. It had been humiliated more so than cooked.

:lol:

A-HA!

One of my favourite slow cooker recipes this one, I make it often in the cold winter months. Piss easy to do and the end product is lush. If you want it a bit more soupy, which I prefer, just add a cup and a bit of beef stock and a bit more stout, and an extra teaspoon of cayenne sprinkled over the veg at the start doesn't hurt either;

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Beef-and-guinness-stew-recipe-306133

Edit - Been a few months since I last made this, I had forgotten to mention that chucking in potatoes cut into quarters, as well as celery and onion cut rustically as well adds more depth to the stew/soup hence the need for the beef stock. I also add in about 2-3 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic instead of the suggested one, and a couple of bay leaves. Chuck it all in the slow cooker and forget about it for five hours, come back and when the veg is soft (as the beef would be) it is ready. Absolute comfort food.

Edited by Ken