Cooking

Gemmill

Making mince and herb (low fat) dumplings tonight. It's usually our lasses dish but I thought Id give it a bash.

Don't know her recipe so ended up with the hairy bikers one. She hasn't tasted it yet but isn't impressed with all the extras they hoy in that she doesn't.

(Pleased I still have that open soil patch on the garden) ;)

Don't know about properly spicing it up, but cumin seeds and cardamom pods early in the process and coriander leaves at the end are always good for fleshing out the flavour of hot stuff.

I really am getting sick of your filth, Martin. I only asked for soup tips.

Thanks everyone, I'll make a soup and ruddy well enjoy it.

Sweet potato samosas and a packet of beef McCoys. :lol:

She's away in Germany with work and I could not be fucked to make anything sensible. So I'm having that, with a couple of bottles of Brooklyn Lager and watching last weekend's UFC. No spoilers please cos I don't know the results.

Cheat's "paella" with plenty of chorizo and prawns.

I could fancy a nice paella. Always think they look nice when I've been abroad but usually to many sea creatures in for my liking.

Not knowing all that goes in, are they healthy, healthyish or not really.

I could fancy a nice paella. Always think they look nice when I've been abroad but usually to many sea creatures in for my liking.

Doesn't have to be, for all we invariably associate paella with seafood nowadays - any resort restaurant should have one that's meat-only (often chicken). Bit boring, but if you're not too fond of mussels, squid and co...

I presume, based on the above, that I shouldn't be recommending you arròs negre - made with squid ink for that unique colour. :D It's surprisingly nice but it feels a bit odd eating something that looks like it's come out of a coalmine...

Arroz_negro.gif

Not knowing all that goes in, are they healthy, healthyish or not really.

Depends entirely what you put into it - it's just rice, onions, stock and "other stuff" after all, and the other stuff is up to you, unless you're trying to impress a Valencian with your authentic grasp of their cuisine. :)

Try this Ainsley simplification as a starting point, it's dead easy to make and you can swap out/add in whatever you fancy really (chorizo instead of ham, different veg and so on). Just no baked beans... promise?

Doesn't have to be, for all we invariably associate paella with seafood nowadays - any resort restaurant should have one that's meat-only (often chicken). Bit boring, but if you're not too fond of mussels, squid and co...

I presume, based on the above, that I shouldn't be recommending you arròs negre - made with squid ink for that unique colour. :D It's surprisingly nice but it feels a bit odd eating something that looks like it's come out of a coalmine...

Arroz_negro.gif

Depends entirely what you put into it - it's just rice, onions, stock and "other stuff" after all, and the other stuff is up to you, unless you're trying to impress a Valencian with your authentic grasp of their cuisine. :)

Try this Ainsley simplification as a starting point, it's dead easy to make and you can swap out/add in whatever you fancy really (chorizo instead of ham, different veg and so on). Just no baked beans... promise?

Really like the sound of the aynsley one. Might give it a whirl tomorrow. Cheers :ithankyou: