Cooking

Gemmill

Mainly @ Meenzer due to piss taking fuckers, Have you made any of the currys out of the Silver Spoon yet, because I'm desperate to, but I can't follow a recipe to save my life and need step by step guidance from you?

Nahh, a curry was the first thing he made from it IIRC.

Speaking of which, the (ahem) "Devil's Fennel" recipe from the Silver Spoon is ace. You take a jar of anchovies in oil and slow-fry them (with a few slugs of olive oil extra) until they've broken down, then add a few fennel bulbs chopped into wedges, some Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Cover and cook until the fennel's nice and tender, then add a healthy dash or five of lemon juice, stir and serve. Works lovely as a side dish to something fishy (and really takes the overpowering sharp edge off the flavour of the fennel).

Another of life's puzzles.

How to turn beansprouts into the nice soft version you get in lots of Chinese dishes?

I quite like them briefly stir fried so they have a bit of crunch, but other family members would prefer the sloppy / juicy version.

It must've been an interesting conversation when you asked your folks about the birds and the bees, CT.

".......So Dad, when my willy gets that tingly feeling, and when the white wee-wee comes out, is that when I have a baby?"

It must've been an interesting conversation when you asked your folks about the birds and the bees, CT.

".......So Dad, when my willy gets that tingly feeling, and when the white wee-wee comes out, is that when I have a baby?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

" Aye that's right son, now get to the bar, it's your round".

Nahh, a curry was the first thing he made from it IIRC.

Speaking of which, the (ahem) "Devil's Fennel" recipe from the Silver Spoon is ace. You take a jar of anchovies in oil and slow-fry them (with a few slugs of olive oil extra) until they've broken down, then add a few fennel bulbs chopped into wedges, some Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Cover and cook until the fennel's nice and tender, then add a healthy dash or five of lemon juice, stir and serve. Works lovely as a side dish to something fishy (and really takes the overpowering sharp edge off the flavour of the fennel).

That sounds lovely.

It'll go nicely with the increased fish component of my post-ticker explosion diet. :lol:

I sometimes use a can of mixed beans in addition to a can of kidney beans when I'm making chilli, and you get the odd haricot bean popping up in there. I'm hoping that's what's happened here too, but I have to admit I'm not hopeful. :lol:

I sometimes use a can of mixed beans in addition to a can of kidney beans when I'm making chilli, and you get the odd haricot bean popping up in there. I'm hoping that's what's happened here too, but I have to admit I'm not hopeful. :lol:

They're a "free" food on slimming world. It was looking a little light with the steak instead of mince.

Perhaps when he says the "only difference" vs. the recipe is the steak, we should be taking the baked beans as a given. In that case, though, where's the buttered slice? CT, I am confuse.

Down to about 2 slices a week and that's only if bacon and egg sarnie makes a Sunday morning guest appearance.

It's a measure of the degree of indignation over this baked bean sham that no mention has yet been made of the delicate bed of farmhouse vegetables.

My new got to rice / chip substitute.

Birds eye frozen veg. 3 mins in the microwave. Delicious with chili, curry, out really. :)

Baked beans. Baked beans.

Well, whilst we're desecrating chilli recipes I may as well share that lately I've taken to the Americans' pairing of chilli with mac & cheese. Once you get over the gastronomie de CT feel, it's a pleasant combination.

We're well into soup territory and my house is the headquarters of taste town. I fancy making one with a bit of kick since the Spicy Lentil one I had tonight was good but not quite strong enough. Just throwing some mexican mixed beans and some more chilli flakes is obivously the right route but what else should I lob in?