Cooking

Gemmill

Does any fucker know how to make the proper turnip that you get in a restaurant. Had it a few times and had it again in Fenwicks yesterday.

They somehow get it to go twice as dark and the taste is unreal.

As I say, I've had exactly this type of mashed turnip in a few different restaurants so it's obviously some chefs tip (Brock).

Obviously there will be butter in there but I also am sure I once heard a method for cooking it twice???

Usually they add a bit of molasses, to the turnip.

Molasses, dark soy sauce, squid ink etc can make something come out black. They probably roast it rather than boil before they puree it to give it a richer flavour, but then again I've never been to Fenwicks so I don't know what you're on about.

Molasses, dark soy sauce, squid ink etc can make something come out black. They probably roast it rather than boil before they puree it to give it a richer flavour, but then again I've never been to Fenwicks so I don't know what you're on about.

It's not purée, just mashed turnip.

Somehow many eateries have a trick for making the colour a few shades darker and creating a really distinctive taste.

We're talking the same stronger colour and same taste, which is why I think it must be a fairly common chef method.

Nice pre match meal tonight.

Basically a bit of food experimenting that ended up on a plate bringing together Indian and Mediterranean.

Jar of Tescos Bombay potato sauce added to par boiled and golden sautéed potatoes. A few cut up tomatoes chucked in.

In a separate dish, peppers, red onion, carrots and courgettes chopped up drizzled with garlic infused olive oil and several spices, oregano, rosemary etc.

Deeeeeelicious.

Some bread (unbuttered) to mop the vegetable infused oils up after cooking.

Finally the left over vegetables have been chucked in a pie dish with about 10 eggs, salt pepper and Parmesan to create a nice half time frittata.

It's possibly that they are using older swedes, which will be more darkly coloured and richer in flavour.

Thing is I once asked a waitress in one restaurant and after consulting the chef she said it was cooked twice????

It's so nice it's becoming a bit of an obsession tbh.

Cheeky 10-egg frittata for half-time. As you do. :lol:

:lol:

Missed that as I was retching at the Indian/Italian fusion.

Thing is I once asked a waitress in one restaurant and after consulting the chef she said it was cooked twice????

It's so nice it's becoming a bit of an obsession tbh.

So… you cook it twice.

There you are then, you feckin dipshit. :doh:

It's not purée, just mashed turnip.

Somehow many eateries have a trick for making the colour a few shades darker and creating a really distinctive taste.

We're talking the same stronger colour and same taste, which is why I think it must be a fairly common chef method.

Why didn't you just ask them?