Cooking

Gemmill

Following on the Australian discussion, when we went to the outback we had this gorgeous dark bread that we've never tasted since. This is going back over 10 years ago. Anyway today conversation drew me to The Outbacks website, their menu and their bread.

You can just see it in the bottom corner.

Posted Image

I've searched on google and found a recipe called "Outback Steakhouse style dark bread".

http://www.food.com/recipe/outback-steakhouse-style-dark-bread-372243

Posted Image

To the bread makers on here, do those ingredients sound familiar / ie do we call this bread something else or is it a speciality?

Also dark molasses. I vaguely remember people mentioning something similar in brewing (sugar). Are these a common product and easy to get hold of.

Following on the Australian discussion, when we went to the outback we had this gorgeous dark bread that we've never tasted since. This is going back over 10 years ago. Anyway today conversation drew me to The Outbacks website, their menu and their bread.

You can just see it in the bottom corner.

eze8a5eg.jpg

I've searched on google and found a recipe called "Outback Steakhouse style dark bread".

http://www.food.com/recipe/outback-steakhouse-style-dark-bread-372243

atuvasun.jpg

To the bread makers on here, do those ingredients sound familiar / ie do we call this bread something else or is it a speciality?

Also dark molasses. I vaguely remember people mentioning something similar in brewing (sugar). Are these a common product and easy to get hold of.

Looks more an American bread than Australian.

Tonight I made an aubergine & lentil curry. Here ya go:

1 red onion

1 large aubergine

1 red pepper

1 tsp sweet paprika

1 tsp ground cumin

1 packet puy lentils (M&S do them - it's about 500g precooked)

1/2 tsp garam masala

1/2 tsp allspice

pinch salt & pepper

1 can coconut milk

350ml veg stock

1 tbsp fresh ginger

2 cloves garlic

- Fry the onion with the pepper until soft.

- Cube up the aubergine and throw it in.

- Toss everything together, add in your spices, garlic & ginger.

- Pour in veg stock and coconut milk, bring to a boil.

- Throw in lentils and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Let it sit for 15 minutes until the aubergine is tender.

Served with rice and some raita. Quick & easy veggie curry. :)