Cooking

Gemmill

Btw Meenzer - you must visit ganapati in Peckham if you haven't already for authentic South Indian fare.

I haven't, but the menu looks lush. Plus it's right on one of the train lines from here, so no excuse really. Noted :good:

I'm sure I'll get pelters for the presentation here too, butter and all, but what the heck: a man cannot live from moong dal alone, so I knocked up a hearty rye bread loaf today. Toasts like a dream.

155029_10151554572700590_592762438_n.jpg

Found some Antiguan rum so now doing some baked rum bananas because it's friday and fuck you I want pudding.

1 banana

2 tbsp rum

2 pinches brown sugar

1 pinch cinnamon

1 pinch nutmeg

Slit skin open, sprinkle in ingredients and then cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes on high.

Unwrap the foil, take out the banana then flambe in another spoon of rum.

Awesome. :D

I haven't, but the menu looks lush. Plus it's right on one of the train lines from here, so no excuse really. Noted :good:

I tell you what mate, you should try Babur in Honor Oak too. Just been for dinner there with the wife. Bit buncey but the food is top notch - posh fine dining curry you wouldn't get in your typical Indian. They deliver too....

I tell you what mate, you should try Babur in Honor Oak too. Just been for dinner there with the wife. Bit buncey but the food is top notch - posh fine dining curry you wouldn't get in your typical Indian. They deliver too....

Ah, now there I have been - the fella used to live just round the corner and Honor Oak is still just about on our radar from this end of Ladywell. Spot on high-end/crossover/fusion type stuff, as you say. There's a really good Italian called Le Querce just the other side of the main road there too.

Ditched the vegetarian diet after a month. Am still off the drink though.

Made a Neapolitan Ragu today (took 8 hours to make it). It was a first attempt, but have to say it is the best pasta sauce I have ever made by far. Inspired by an Anthony Bourdain episode of No Reservations about Naples. It was alchemy at work in my kitchen today. Today's dinner was the pork and beef ribs and the veal shank which infused my sauce with its flavour. Tomorrow I shall have the sauce, after the day's full rest, over some rigotoni pasta.

Ditched the vegetarian diet after a month. Am still off the drink though.

Made a Neapolitan Ragu today (took 8 hours to make it). It was a first attempt, but have to say it is the best pasta sauce I have ever made by far. Inspired by an Anthony Bourdain episode of No Reservations about Naples. It was alchemy at work in my kitchen today. Today's dinner was the pork and beef ribs and the veal shank which infused my sauce with its flavour. Tomorrow I shall have the sauce, after the day's full rest, over some rigotoni pasta.

So what's the difference between a Neapolitan Ragu and a Ragu from Bologna?

So what's the difference between a Neapolitan Ragu and a Ragu from Bologna?

To do with the quantity of tomato puree and paste you use. Neapolitan has a much greater concentration of tomato in it.

Just to add to the differences between the two ragus from the two regions, of course I missed a very important point. With the Neapolitan ragu you cook the meat in whole pieces as opposed to ground up minced meat of your Bolognese ragu. Yesterday I used pork and beef ribs as well as osso buco, bones and all, and I chopped up a 200g block of pancetta into pea shaped cubes. I browned the meat and set it aside before deglazing the pot with a shiraz and cooked 2 chopped onions and the pancetta for nearly an hour until the onions quite literally melted away continually adding splashes of wine so as not to dry the pot out. Before I put the meat back into the pot I added 2 tbsp of tomato paste and another splash of wine and cooked that for a bit. Then 1 bottle of passata and a tin of chopped roma tomatoes went in. 6 hours of gentle simmering with the lid on (making sure I mixed it every 15-20 minutes so it didn't stick to the bottom) the meat was ready to take out with it quite literally falling right off the bone. The sauce continued to simmer for another two hours (lid half on) and transformed into a thick, morish sauce.

Yesterday I had the meat topped with sauce and crusty bread with a side salad for tea. Tonight (finished it 5 minutes ago as a matter of fact) I cooked some rigatoni and melded the sauce into the pasta. It was topped with grated romano cheese. Absolutely delightful and well worth the effort. I will be making this once every few weeks now.

Just to add to the differences between the two ragus from the two regions, of course I missed a very important point. With the Neapolitan ragu you cook the meat in whole pieces as opposed to ground up minced meat of your Bolognese ragu. Yesterday I used pork and beef ribs as well as osso buco, bones and all, and I chopped up a 200g block of pancetta into pea shaped cubes. I browned the meat and set it aside before deglazing the pot with a shiraz and cooked 2 chopped onions and the pancetta for nearly an hour until the onions quite literally melted away continually adding splashes of wine so as not to dry the pot out. Before I put the meat back into the pot I added 2 tbsp of tomato paste and another splash of wine and cooked that for a bit. Then 1 bottle of passata and a tin of chopped roma tomatoes went in. 6 hours of gentle simmering with the lid on (making sure I mixed it every 15-20 minutes so it didn't stick to the bottom) the meat was ready to take out with it quite literally falling right off the bone. The sauce continued to simmer for another two hours (lid half on) and transformed into a thick, morish sauce.

Yesterday I had the meat topped with sauce and crusty bread with a side salad for tea. Tonight (finished it 5 minutes ago as a matter of fact) I cooked some rigatoni and melded the sauce into the pasta. It was topped with grated romano cheese. Absolutely delightful and well worth the effort. I will be making this once every few weeks now.

So when you make another one, make sure I get an invite. That sounds absolutely mouth watering.

• 2 weeks later...

Fondant potatoes with the roast dinner today - fancied a change from roasties.

2 large potatoes (good roasters like maris piper or king edward - although I used red rudolph today and they turned out very well)

10g butter (I cut off two cubes from the stick of butter)

4 sprigs fresh thyme

chicken stock

whatever oil you fancy (i used roasted tomato infused vegetable oil because check me out)

paprika

salt & pepper

Peel the potatoes and slice in half lengthways. Make sure the top and bottom are flat.

Heat a good splash of oil in a roasting tray. Heat it on the hob so it's smoking.

Season both sides with paprika, salt & pepper. Place top side down and let it sizzle for 3-4 minutes.

Flip the potatoes over. The top side should be golden brown. Add the butter and thyme then sizzle for another 2 minutes.

Carefully pour in chicken stock so that it is comes halfway up the potatoes.

Put in a 200 degree oven for 25 minutes. They'll soak up all the stock so no need for any further seasoning.

Bloody ace, these. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a Waitrose Essentials Sausage and Mash with Onion Gravy ready meal. Cook it.

Lightly toast two thick slices of white bread. Lots of butter.

Make a tin of Branston baked beans on the hob. Stir in copious amounts of Nando's brand Peri Peri herbs.

Put everything in between the bread. Serve with a nice white wine and enjoy.