Cooking

Gemmill

sunday night has become make a curry from scratch night in the gloom household.

made this tomato and okra recipe last night. can't stress how good it is - http://www.rocketand...and-okra-curry/

also made this abergine curry but added some paneer for protein. again, a nice balance of spices - http://www.simplysen...gine-curry.html

the only thing i'd day about the aubergine one is use regular sized abuergines. i used the baby ones and it was a right royal pain in the arse getting all the flesh off the skin.

Edited by Dr Gloom

sunday night has become make a curry from scratch night in the gloom househould.

made this tomato and okra recipe last night. can't stress how good it is - http://www.rocketand...and-okra-curry/

also made this abergine curry but added some paneer for protein. again, a nice balance of spices - http://www.simplysen...gine-curry.html

the only thing i'd day about the aubergine one is use regular sized abuergines. i used the baby ones and it was a right royal pain in the arse getting all the flesh off the skin.

Nice. The fella's away from Wednesday to Monday so I'm planning on making a bit of a veggie/detox weekend of it. That'll be a decent start.

Sunday is definitely good for a curry. I made this one on sunday. It made more than enough for 4, but me dad and me were feeling piggish so had the lot:

500g diced leg of lamb

4 small onions

1 can chopped tomatoes

1 tsp fresh rosemary (from the garden)

2 tsp turmeric

2 tsp paprika

2 cloves garlic

2 carrots

1 large stick celery

1 tbsp mango chutney

2 tbsp patak tikka curry paste

pinch sea salt & pepper

150ml water

100ml double cream

Rubbed the lamb with the s&p, 1tsp paprika and 1tsp turmeric, let it marinate in the fridge for 1/2 hour.

Sweat onion, carrot and celery with the rest of the spices (rosemary, turmeric, paprika). I had a big earthenware crock pot to do all this.

Throw in lamb and brown on all sides.

Pour in water to deglaze the pan. Stir in curry paste and then pour in chopped tomatoes.

Stir in the chutney, turn the heat down to lowest, put the lid on the pot and let it cook for 2 hours.

I gave it an extra 1/2 hour uncovered to thicken the sauce a bit, then poured in double cream.

Served this with rice. First time I tried cooking rice by bringing it to a boil then covering it and cooking on the lowest heat for 20 mins. Came out perfectly!

Served this with rice. First time I tried cooking rice by bringing it to a boil then covering it and cooking on the lowest heat for 20 mins. Came out perfectly!

Aye, I'm always paranoid about burning the pan or cooking it too fast or whatever, but the ultra-low-heat simmer approach is what makes that Madhur Jaffrey lentil rice recipe I've mentioned before work so well. Not having to wash up a sieve is a bonus. :boogie:

:lol:

My lass nearly barfed at my brekkie today, marmite porridge with kidney beans and two (dry) fried eggs on top. Wish I'd taken a photo. All quality food for Temple TS.

My lass nearly barfed at my brekkie today, marmite porridge with kidney beans and two (dry) fried eggs on top. Wish I'd taken a photo. All quality food for Temple TS.

That does sound uniquely revolting

That is wrong on every single level imaginable :lol:

Main meals - The classics

Looking to add a few more classics to the main menu at Trough Towers. The following are some of the go to normal main meals that regularly crop up during fortnight or so. Are there other such big players that I am missing out on?

Not looking for poncey, fanny on, Fennel and Lobster Salad with Pomegranate sort of recipes, just the classics.

Current Menu includes.

Lasagne

Chili

Beef Stew

Curry and rice

Salad

Vegetable Broth

Salt and Chili chicken

Roast dinner

Irish Stew

Spag Bol

Tagliatelle

Edited by Christmas Tree

Main meals - The classics

Looking to add a few more classics to the main menu at Trough Towers. The following are some of the go to normal main meals that regularly crop up during fortnight or so. Are there other such big players that I am missing out on?

Not looking for poncey, fanny on, Fennel and Lobster Salad with Pomegranate sort of recipes, just the classics.

Current Menu includes.

Lasagne

Chili

Beef Stew

Curry and rice

Salad

Vegetable Broth

Salt and Chili chicken

Roast dinner

Irish Stew

Spag Bol

Tagliatelle

You putting this all on the one plate or serving in courses?