Cooking

Gemmill

Baked beans in chilli :lol:

Works really well in all honesty. I normally put baked beans and kidney beans in whenever I make a chilli.

I watched that Men who Stare at Goats film the other day. No recipes in it though.

Madhur Jaffrey's book has a chapter / essay on goat iirc.

Which book though? She has about a 100. :lol:

Works really well in all honesty. I normally put baked beans and kidney beans in whenever I make a chilli.

Kidney beans, fine. I've yet to see a chilli made with a can of Heinz.

Chilli a massive success. Using braising steak beats mince by a mile.

Melt in your mouth stuff.

I'm not having braising steak as being superior to lean mince. :no:

Bet it takes ages as well.

I tend to use a tin of kidney beans and a tin of another type of bean (whatever happens to be in the cupboard, borlotti, black eye), so I suppose baked haricots aren't too great a leap. I reckon I'd be forever expecting a slight aftertaste of cheap tomato sauce though. :lol:

I tend to use a tin of kidney beans and a tin of another type of bean (whatever happens to be in the cupboard, borlotti, black eye), so I suppose baked haricots aren't too great a leap. I reckon I'd be forever expecting a slight aftertaste of cheap tomato sauce though. :lol:

Tip beans in to sieve, wash away cheap tomato sauce under tap and stand to drain for 5 mins.

Jobs a good'un.

Right, seems silly to answer all the PM's individually so here is the recipe.

Chili Con Carne -- Serves 6

3 Tins of chopped tomatoes

3 Onions

800g Braising steak (2 packs for £7)

1 Tin of baked beans drained and rinsed.

1 ½ Red peppers

1 ¼ tsp Salt

1 ¼ tsp Hot chili powder

1 tsp Paprika

1 tsp Ground Cumin

½ tsp Dried Marjoram

2 clove fresh garlic

1 Red chilis

1 ½ tsp Honey

1 ½ Tbs Olive Oil

Method

Chop the onions and then fry with the crushed Garlic slowly for 5-10 mins until they are soft and translucent.

Add the Chopped Tomatoes and beans and simmer for 45 minutes before transferring to a slow cooker.

Fry the meat in a separate pan until browned. Add the chopped chili and fry for a further two minutes before transferring to the slow cooker.

Add all the remaining ingredients and leave on a high for 2-3 hours or medium for 4 - 5 hours.

Serve with Tilda Basmati rice and a dollop of sour cream.

* This is a combination of two recipes.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228/chilli-con-carne

http://step-by-step-cook.co.uk/mains/chili_con_carne/

Its fair to say that once you have used braising steak instead of mince, you wont go back.

Right, seems silly to answer all the PM's individually so here is the recipe.

:D

You can't go far wrong with a slow cooker tbf. Brilliant piece of kit.

I had to knock up a sausage casserole last night for 10 squash players. Simple affair with paprika, garlic, smoked bacon, onion and english mustard hoyed in. Bit of salt and sugar to bring the balance right.

Tasted pretty decent considering it was bloody easy.

I am still yet to try adding a bit of chocolate when making a chilli as that is meant to be really good.

Still can't go wrong with adding ghost chilli extract in there for that extra kick. :)

She did a turkey concoction stuffed in red peppers last night. It was canny but not good enough to do again.

Served up some excellent Lemon chicken earlier in the week though, that's going on the list.

Cos I live with a parky (where is he these days) family and nobody likes kidney beans or has probably tried any other variety other than baked.

Use these

026339.jpg

available at your local ;)

aka pre washed baked beans, ( which aren't baked incidentally, but rather they're stewed)