Cooking

Gemmill

We had ailes de raie tonight which I think translates as skate wings.

Our lass does it in a herb stock and serves it with spinach and a dressing with capers.

So we had capers on skate wings, which obviously sounds like a lot of fun.

We had ailes de raie tonight which I think translates as skate wings.

Our lass does it in a herb stock and serves it with spinach and a dressing with capers.

So we had capers on skate wings, which obviously sounds like a lot of fun.

:lol:

Sounds lush that tbh.

Tried to make Trophyshys Asian soup again but this time leaving out the chicken stock. Not for me Im afraid. Just tasted like Garlic water! (Not sure how much taste its meant to have? Anyway, I quickly reached for the knorr chicken stock and rescued it ;)

I have now created and patented Boldon Asian soup.

600 mls boiling water

1 knorr chicken stock cube

1 clove of garlic sliced or crushed

1 tsp of ginger

Little shake of five spices (¼ tsp)

Little squirt tomato puree (½ dessert spoon)

1 bag of Birds eye veg

½ bag of basmati

1 ½ handfuls of pasta

½ tsp of chilli puree / paste

Salt and Pepper to taste

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious :)

I'm no Jamie Oliver, but basmati rice, pasta, a bag of veg and tomato paste in an Asian broth is just utterly wrong man! :lol:

Next time alter the ingredients a bit and try this;

800mls of chicken stock (self-made or shop bought it doesn't matter)

1 star anese dropped in while bringing stock to boil

1 clove of garlic sliced or crushed

1-2 tsp of grated fresh ginger

1 tsp of brown sugar

Little squirt of soy sauce (1 dessert spoon)

1 chilli chopped

2-3 dried shiitake mushrooms rehydrated, stalk removed then chopped

2 packets of udon noodles

1 bunch of ripped up/coursely chopped bok choy, choi sum or chinese broccoli.

A handful or two of bean sprouts at the end

Surely you can get things like udon noodles, asian greens and shiitake mushrooms around where you live in this day and age. It is a Nigella Express recipe too btw. Quick, light, easy and extremely lush.

Edited by Ken

Made a vegetarian chilli. First attempt at it too and it was nice;

1/3 cup olive oil

1 large onion chopped

1 small red chilli, seeded (or not if you like it hot like me), chopped

1/2 red capsicum chopped

A dash (1/4 tsp) of chilli flakes (sorry CT)

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp dried thyme

3 garlic cloves crushed

A tin of 4 mixed bean drained and rinsed well

A tin of lentils drained and rinsed

A tin of chopped tomatoes

1 tbs tomato paste

1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Place oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, fresh chilli and capsicum and cook until softened. Add the chilli flakes, cinnamon, cumin and thyme and cook for a further minute.Reduce heat to low and add the garlic, beans, lentils, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring it occasionally. Remove lid and cook for a further 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir through the parsley and serve with rice or tortillas. Sprinkle the chilli with grated cheese.

All washed down with mineral water.

My GF enjoyed it as well and this was the one thing that concerned me most about my sudden dietry change, whether she could keep up or not, though it is only the second day, but... :thumbup:

Just drawn up this week's menu, which includes such highlights as:

Homemade creamy mushroom soup

Couscous salad with herbs and walnuts

Barley risotto with marinated feta

:lol:

You can stick your KFC bucket up your arse. :razz:

Just drawn up this week's menu,

Is this a regular thing? Do you find it makes watching what you eat easier?

Not having a pop, genuinely intrigued, as I'll buy a few staples; meat, veg, carbs and make from them what I can. Which often leads to me eating similar dishes.

Is this a regular thing? Do you find it makes watching what you eat easier?

Not having a pop, genuinely intrigued, as I'll buy a few staples; meat, veg, carbs and make from them what I can. Which often leads to me eating similar dishes.

Aye I go through cookbooks, decide what I'm making that week and buy the ingredients. Means I'm trying new stuff regularly and i'm never chucking food out at the end of the week cos I bought more food than there was days.

Aye I go through cookbooks, decide what I'm making that week and buy the ingredients. Means I'm trying new stuff regularly and i'm never chucking food out at the end of the week cos I bought more food than there was days.

Makes a lot of sense. I'd be more bothered about that if I weren't living such a messed up schedule. Some weeks I've no idea if I'll be working 7 12hr shifts, 3 or none. Big reason why I find it so hard to stick to an exercise routine as well.

I had chicken breast with home made chips, (healthily cooked chips), some beetroot and pickled cabbage on the side. Had a nice dollop of mayonaise and some very hot cajun sauce too. Wedding do tonight so will eat any shite at the buffet whilst full of beer. (I'll say I ate cous-cous if it helps, though?) ;)

Went for beef tagine with round steak. Based it off Anthony Worral Thompsons recipe but I add a few bits to it. It normally calls for lamb shoulder, but the missus isn't as keen on it.

That is the last decision on meats she gets to make. Cooked it over 4hours and the steak was nowhere near as sexy or soft as the lamb.

Aside from the meat choice, it was great.

Aynsley Harriet sun dried tomato flavour.

Mainly the texture I didn't like.

Sorry my point is that some couscous varieties are grainy, some are like rice, others are larger still. So you might not have liked the ready meal stuff but you may like a different type.

Don't give up on couscous, man!

;)